Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy skylight security bars?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dishrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Westy skylight security bars? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Has anyone heard of a camper break-in where someone either snaps off the skylight/roof vent cover and reaches in to pop the top, or someone small just slips his/her body in through the opening?

I just got an alarm but then I realized that there's the roof to worry about. So, I might put bars or something over the opening.

Thanks for any input!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't the vibration alarm be set off if that happens? Just like breaking a window I would think.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have to be REALLY skinny to fit! Only top break in I have heard about was a bear that ripped the top open. One bar should be enough if you are that worried about it. There are lots of other ways to break in that don't require getting on the roof that I would be more worried about!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy skylight security bars? Reply with quote

dishrag wrote:
or someone small just slips his/her body in through the opening?

It's got to be a seriously small adult, or a kid to achieve that feat. Shocked I only ever worry about other animals entering through the open skylight: bird, squirrel, bear, etc.

A human wants to get in fast and as discreetly as possible. Climbing up onto the roof to squeeze him/herself in through the skylight? That'd be the path of most resistance and least discreet, and unlikely to happen. (Going in through the tent on a popped-up roof, on the other hand... guy just needs a knife, or less if he can work the zippers. Strange looks? "Locked my keys in!".) If it's toys the thief is after, it'll be a smash-and-grab. If it's the van the thief is after, it'll be a smash/jimmy and drive.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dishrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Would have to be REALLY skinny to fit! Only top break in I have heard about was a bear that ripped the top open. One bar should be enough if you are that worried about it. There are lots of other ways to break in that don't require getting on the roof that I would be more worried about!

Didn't think about a bear! We had one rip a window off an old Club Wagon, but that was one of the aggressive bears in Yosemite. The guy broke a pickle jar open and the reupholstered bench was soaked in pickle juice...

I may add just one bar, to cover the skinny people
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine trying to stop a thief that way, but if you must. If I was going to break in, going thru the skylight would not be in my top 5 ways to enter....and actually nothing you could do short of armoring all the windows could keep me out....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dishrag wrote:

You could always hang stuff on it too, it's likely to be most useful that way.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but....... Really?

This is what you are stressing over?!?!

After you install your skylight security bar you better then go Outside and pick up and secure everyone of these within oh........about a half mile radius or so.

This is probably basic tool choice #1 for any thief wanna be!
Really these should be of a much larger concern than a mini-burgler!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wareiter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't you just reach through the barred skylight, pop the top latch and lift the top? would be a little harder than rock through the vent window.
http://waterboxer.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy skylight security bars? Reply with quote

dishrag wrote:
Hi guys,
Has anyone heard of a camper break-in where someone either snaps off the skylight/roof vent cover
and reaches in to pop the top, or someone small just slips his/her body in through the opening?

Ummm…no.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<couldn't you just reach through the barred skylight, pop the top latch and lift the top? would be a little harder than rock through the vent window.>>

I'd like to see this one---
Lift your own weight, plus the pop top's with your arm through the skylight hole pulling the latch--all at the same time.

Get a movie of this operation--this is made for TV material.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone could reach in through the top and pop the latch, it would be incredibly easy to raise the top while standing on the luggage rack. At that point, it takes a pocket knife to enter the van. Lower the top and there is zero evidence of forced entry as it's driving down the road.

...unless you have a strap around the lifting mechanism...which you should anyway.

So, there's your $.98 solution. Our was actually free since it was a dual D-ring belt included in a set of shorts that my son outgrew.

A word of caution for those who go on vacation without your Westy. Have your housesitter check your van for notes under the wipers.

The guy near our house with the white 89 is gone for days at a time. I discovered this when my offer to buy his Westy was on his windshield for several days before it was removed.

TOTALLY did not think about that.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if the offender's name is Clyde, and his arms are 3ft. long--maybe he could wrap his hands back two ft. from the roof rack, blasted the skylight open, and groaped back another 2 ft. to the latch.
I'd like to see ole Clyde open up the top with his arm jammed in through the roof hole as he's laying on the roof rack--he'd have to be into Yoga or some other body bending, contortionist science.

Mission Impossible Rolling Eyes

And the possiblity of someone dropping in from that skylight is also pretty slim--unless your name was Howdy Doody.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breaking the front door vent window and using a slim jim are standard operating procedures for break-in artists on Vanagons.

Tow trucks get used to steal Syncros.

Realistically, you just want to discourage a lazy petty criminal/drug addict. Use a hidden kill switch and call it good.
LandSailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Use a hidden kill switch and call it good.

That also doubles as a "oh, my van just died and won't start, Officer. A buddy is going to come help me in the morning" switch.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disable switch sure makes a bunch more sense than dilling holes into the top to be mounting jail bars that you'll never need.

Blasting out a window would be the path of the least resistance if somebody really wanted it.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't put a bar on the skylight more likely to cause a leak than prevent a break-in? I'm not sure even my 8yo would fit through the skylight, bar or not. I could measure if you really want to know.

If you read about the rash of Seattle thefts, the break ins were all through the door(s), most using a key (can't stop that) and there were a few (general) stories about window break ins. You're probably better off to put an alarm (or blinking LED) in so the would be thieves move onto the next vehicle. And, as suggested a kill switch. Bars perhaps on the windows might help if you carry something really valuable.

Given I'm about to take the plunge and replace my canvas, I think a bear tearing apart my top would be grand, that'd be covered under insurance, right? Wink

Best of luck!

tam
dishrag wrote:
hans j wrote:

Didn't think about a bear! We had one rip a window off an old Club Wagon, but that was one of the aggressive bears in Yosemite. The guy broke a pickle jar open and the reupholstered bench was soaked in pickle juice...

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
dishrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I got an alarm, this covers the doors and windows (glass break) and the body being struck. If I or someone actually responds, of course.

But I was concerned because banging on the pop top roof did not set it off. I have since discovered that the *clank* of popping the top release DOES set it off, so that leaves removal of the skylight lid, which probably doesn't.

A woman or skinny tweaker could fit through, I think.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dishrag wrote:
As I said, I got an alarm, this covers the doors and windows (glass break) and the body being struck. If I or someone actually responds, of course.

But I was concerned because banging on the pop top roof did not set it off. I have since discovered that the *clank* of popping the top release DOES set it off, so that leaves removal of the skylight lid, which probably doesn't.

A woman or skinny tweaker could fit through, I think.

I remember when car alarms made their appearance in the Automotive World.
They were obnoxious, noisy, prone to malfunction and you know what? NOBODY PAID ANY ATTENTION TO THEM!!!

Yes I know, the alarms have advanced technologically but still ........... NO ONE PAYS ANY ATTENTION TO THEM!!! They are loud, obnoxious, prone to malfunction.....

WAIT!!!!
NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!!

It's a Waste of money and a waste of effort!

I guess if having the system makes you FEEL better..........
Maybe to keep the wee little people out you could Put some razor wire around that skylight!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
backyard_cnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think one of my custom "NO VELCRO" screen attachments is all the protection you need on your skylight! It will keep the skeeters out! Very Happy

Sorry for the shameless plug, just love it when a project turns out nicely!

Gerald

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: