Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'67 steering wheel onto '74 thing?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
the 72-73 wheels are for the large shaft that uses a 27mm nut. The 74 and later are for the smaller shaft that uses 24mm nut.

kubelmann wrote:
Momo Steering Wheel Adapter for a 73 Thing~~~
21 mm 40 tooth spline
hub #0248

I'm still waiting to hear from my mechanic on what I have while taking care of larger issues, but here is what a seller on eBay said he had for sale. I can't seem to line up what he has with the info I found here.

seller on eBay wrote:
Hi, here's what I've found: measuring the ID of the spline, it's 17mm. I also found that stamped into the back hub of the wheel, is 51 01 74. I'm not a VW expert by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm wondering if the "01 74" is a date code? Perhaps made in January of 74?

What do you think? Is it early; is it late? How about the part ID?
Jonny Rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I also dislike the steering wheel in my '73. The horn cover doesn't fit (warped), and the visual asthetics of it leaves something to be desired. Is this German Mil Spec 181 more or less a bus wheel?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1640856
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I had another thread about steering wheels, too, but this will do.

I have the later steering wheel on my '74. I got a steering wheel that was off a MkI Golf or very early MkII. It did fit, but it proceeded to break the turn signal stalk. The stalk was replaced but it is fitting the same way so the fear is it will break the replacement stalk.

In between, a bearing of some sort was bad and was replaced. While this is making the steering experience better, I'm left with the stupid after market wheel it has and I don't like, and looking for a stock replacement as I'm not sure about fetching more steering wheels that may not work.

Did anyone else have this experience? Does anyone have opinions of anything I may have overlooked in my research?
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonny Rock wrote:
Ok, I also dislike the steering wheel in my '73. The horn cover doesn't fit (warped), and the visual asthetics of it leaves something to be desired. Is this German Mil Spec 181 more or less a bus wheel?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1640856

Hi
It's not a bus steering wheel but a standard bug one and will not fit your 1973 thing because of the stick for the wiper Cool
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have modified a wiper switch shaft to make a different steering wheel fit. I did it on this super beetle and it would be the same issue on a Thing if this is a type of steering wheel you were considering using.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1008468.jpg
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:
I have modified a wiper switch shaft to make a different steering wheel fit. I did it on this super beetle and it would be the same issue on a Thing if this is a type of steering wheel you were considering using.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1008468.jpg

Kinda sorta ...

This one is closer to what I have (four button horn but does not say GTI):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the one I would really like (MkI Scirocco):

...but I'm a little put-off spending what people want for these and not knowing if it would work. I'm looking stock at the moment (most have issues).
Jonny Rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="oasis"]
emersonbiggins wrote:

...but I'm a little put-off spending what people want for these and not knowing if it would work. I'm looking stock at the moment (most have issues).

I actually have the steering wheel in my 1981 Rabbit Convertable.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jonny Rock"]
oasis wrote:
emersonbiggins wrote:

You might be ok with that one clearing the wiper switch.
Have you tried that one?
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="emersonbiggins"]
Jonny Rock wrote:
oasis wrote:
emersonbiggins wrote:

You might be ok with that one clearing the wiper switch.
Have you tried that one?

So far, I don't have one. The ones I see available are tatty or very expensive. I might put up with very expensive if I knew the doggone thing would work. Same is true for earlier Scirocco steering wheels and the ones in vintage VW parts catalogs -- all of which are even more rare.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having gotten Thing and my steering wheel back, I now can see why the Jetta steering wheel failed and why I now believe the Scirocco wheel pictured earlier will work.

Front

Back -- fits column perfectly with horn working but the bulk on either side is what did the damage

The search is on ... Wink
madster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 steering wheel onto '74 thing? Reply with quote

This wheel looks perfect in a THING 👌

volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 steering wheel onto '74 thing? Reply with quote

Well here's my 2 cents worth.the 72 and newer steering wheels have a collapsible part built in..safety u know. With the gas tank in the front and all. With the spacer there the turn signal switch is set up so if u mess with the steering wheel, you'll have to deal with that + high beam and wiper switch...I saw one in a show and they removed all the outside plastic and it looked pretty primitive to me.I just live with mine for the past 20 years I've owned it. 28 states ,etc.. .Now at 76 it's getting harder to get in and out but what a GREAT little car.Its my 8 month a year economy car at 30 mpg. Good luck on your search Bill. VT and PR
concpt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 steering wheel onto '74 thing? Reply with quote

the metal piece from the 4 spoke can be unscrewed from the bottom of the steering wheel and replaced on an older steering wheel. I am running a 64 wheel on my thing currently. the turn signals work the same as with the 4 spoke wheel just looks better. even custom painted the center horn button.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: