Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my new hell is adjusting the shifter in my 1980
WTF does it have such bulky pinch clamp in a tight space when the adjustment from good to no good is less than 1/16" ALOT less.
Ohh and that's the same spot you adjust the length (in-out) as well. so as you futz with one adjustment you bugger the other

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oil change and complete check over in prep for an extended road trip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nevadaesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put on the bike rack for the first time and then the Trasharoo. Getting ready for a (hopefully) 3 month trip north into Canada, east to Calgary, back into the US, upper New York state and then on to the Maritime provinces - Nova Scotia, then home.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

euro911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Emblems Reply with quote

euro911 wrote:
ClarksuperVan wrote:
euro911 wrote:
Looks great. Did you spray the badges with silver paint?
Thanks. First I cleaned them really well. Then sanded a bit to remove the old stuff. Then used a Krylon Silver Leafing pen to do all the letters. Finished them off with some rattle can sealant I had in the garage. They turned out pretty decent I think.

Jeremy
Well, your post gave me some inspiration, so after dinner I scrubbed and masked-off one badge. It was a bit of work - tedious work for old eyes and hands I might add.

I'll spray it tomorrow with the metallic silver paint I used on my CLK wheels and see how it turns out. Wink

Didn't turn out as nice as yours Jeremy, but it is a big improvement Wink

This was a 'spare' emblem, so maybe I try your method on the other emblems
'70 Karmann Ghia Coupe
'84 Vanagon Westfalia Camper ("Eileen")
lemonspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had these 8ply Beauties Installed : Love my Carat Alloys on the Van so staying 14" for now.....

73 Transporter (sold) "chloe"
80 Vanagon (sold) "brownie"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife took the kids down to Texas for the weekend to visit family. She said, "Why don't you have a nice relaxing weekend and catch up on some projects". (That is my of perfect idea of relaxing, as I do not sit still for long periods very well) Although I missed my family on Father's day, I took 3 full days and got Chewey ready for the roadtrip to the PNW this summer. Her's what I did:
- Completely rebuilt the front suspension (Wow, what a difference!)
- Painted everything on the front end with POR 15 and painted the wheelwells (not bad for Rustoleum rattle can)
- Replaced the fuel tank, filter, pump & hoses. Dropped the new gas tank on my face trying to install it resulting in a very nice laceration but managed to avoid the ER. Resealed the expansion tanks too. Holy crow, my engine was barely running because it had about 1" of crap in the sump of the gas tank. I can't believe how much better it runs. I think I gained 30 horsepower!
- Installed a new radiator. I wasn't sure I needed to do that one since it wasn't overheating, but Rocky Mountain Westy's recommended that I do it. Sure enough, they were right. It was leaking and weighed about 20 extra pounds due to all of the crud in it.

Now there's that pesky little throwout bearing that keeps making noise.......

AMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New-to-me-van kind of stuff:

Repaired the two windshield visor mounting brackets. They had been wrenched free over the years. Once of the brackets is totally cracked and will need to be replaced. Surprised to see the passenger visor mirror still lights up.

Installed the inner visor clip correctly. Looked like it came from the factory installed improperly, with the small pointed clip on the back torqued against the headliner instead of clipped into the shelf on the frame that is just forward of the mounting screw hole. A small hole needed to be cut in the headliner to mount it in the hole and sit flush.

Changed a headlight bulb. The passenger-side hi-beam glass housing is cracked and will need to be replaced. In removing the grill I was surprised at how flimsy the connecting pins are and how lightly the grill is held on. Is there an aftermarket solution for that?

Freed up a sticky automatic driver side mirror. The motor inside is doing its best, but it's on its last legs. Can I replace the motor or should I just replace the whole thing? Were they always just crap? Laughing

Discovered that front windshield spray pump is not working. Will troubleshoot tomorrow during daylight. Rear window pump operates normally. Loud as hell too.

Learned how to use the Bentley through completing the above tasks.
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado Yeti wrote:

- Completely rebuilt the front suspension (Wow, what a difference!)
- Painted everything on the front end with POR 15 and painted the wheelwells (not bad for Rustoleum rattle can)

Nice work, so envious of this. My steering is super sloppy so I'm planning on at least the steering rack/tie rods but dreaming of tackling the whole thing just like that.

All I got done today was rear hatch stuff: Installed the snaps for the bug screen, bought a turnbuckle to hold it open, and installed an interior release/handle.

oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Interior release Reply with quote

Please tell us more about the interior release ...pics?. I have always thought it was needed, for safety and convince to improve the function of the rear hatch. I'm sure to want to do this...thanks, John in GA
1980 Westy...aka "the 0'possum"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed new BRIGHT tail light bulbs from Tarry Kay. Huge improvement over stock.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Interior release Reply with quote

oldhuldy67 wrote:
Please tell us more about the interior release ...pics?. I have always thought it was needed, for safety and convince to improve the function of the rear hatch. I'm sure to want to do this...thanks, John in GA
1980 Westy...aka "the 0'possum"

I believe it is just a turnbuckle using an eyelet at the door end and a hook end on the body's locking pin.
You put the eyelet into the door latch and just push it in so the lock engages as it would when you close the door normally.
Then hook the body side into the locking pin.
Crawl inside and turn the turnbuckle to open/close the air vent size.
Sleep in peace!

Mind the raccoons!
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...I was interested in installing a door latch for the hatch. Do I see a brown door latch in the corner of the door? Winston has a few pics but I can't get the gist of how it would all work. Guess I need to remove the cover and take a whack at it myself. That's how I usually figure things out. Any ideas will be gratefully received and much appreciated. John in GA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldhuldy67 wrote:
Thanks...I was interested in installing a door latch for the hatch. Any ideas will be gratefully received and much appreciated. John in GA

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=352626&highlight=rear+hatch+inside+release

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Interior release Reply with quote

oldhuldy67 wrote:
Please tell us more about the interior release ...pics?

I forgot to take pictures of what I did inside before I put everything back together, If I get some time I will do it and add them to one of the existing threads.

I did use an extra door pull and basically came up with a simple variation inspired by the ones in a few threads I found, including the one dobryan posted.

That is some hard steel in there so be prepared. I wore out 3 expensive cobalt bits trying to drill the hole through the release lever before I gave up and found another way, hard to explain but when I get the pictures up it should make sense.
wemfam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: aux battery relay Reply with quote

My auxiliary battery did not charge back up after our first camping trip with it...so I took the advice of friends and tossed a new relay in there without any troubleshooting.....we'll see how it does next time...
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my Aluminess Galley Box and Wavian Jerry cans all nice and mounted up. I like it,

More info here:
http://dasmotoclub.com/aluminess-galley-box/

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
I just got my Aluminess Galley Box and Wavian Jerry cans all nice and mounted up. I like it,

More info here:
http://dasmotoclub.com/aluminess-galley-box/

Looksgreat, I know the passenger brake light is visible, but ya got a third brake light mounted?
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Looksgreat, I know the passenger brake light is visible, but ya got a third brake light mounted?
Does that lift with the hatch?

Yea I'm looking at various third brake lights. Trying to see what would work best and still look good.

Both the tire and the box/ladder swing out to the side then the hatch door opens up with out them in the way.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:

Yea I'm looking at various third brake lights. Trying to see what would work best and still look good.

The GoWesty one works very well.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535840&highlight=gowesty+brake+light

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a (pair) of these red COB led strip lights.
they are VERY red, very flush and shouldn't be hard to figure out how to mount them in the back,

you do have to wait a little, but shipping from China hasn't been bad with any of my purchases.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400710155047

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 361 of 631

Jump to: