Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Detroit to Alaska Adventure!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a nicely configured engine, trans, and tires combination. The RPMs look great. Glad to hear the pulley is on the way. Enjoy the trip.

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Anthony wrote:
You have a nicely configured engine, trans, and tires combination. The RPMs look great. Glad to hear the pulley is on the way. Enjoy the trip.

Thanks - the motor ran stronger before I had the heads ported! When I get home - it will either be a higher lift cam or smaller heads.... Right now there is not much torque below 2000.... It's liveable but not optimal.
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksheime wrote:
dang I saw this thread 2 days too late. Im In Mauston, WI and coulda shared a couple WI microbrews and bus tales. Hit me up if you come back through this way. awesome thread man, good luck!

Would have been great to meet you! Next time!

snow_roach wrote:
I am in Fairbanks, when you get closer shoot me a PM and maybe I can get a few VW guys to go to dinner somewhere in town and talk VW's! When you get here make sure to go to http://www.fountainheadmuseum.com/, they have some super rare cars there. Oh I almost forgot... Bring bug spray, we are famous for nasty mosquito swarms!

I'll hit you up for sure!
klcarrie wrote:
Couts/Sweetgrass (I 15)is the 24h crossing in Montana.

If you're passing through Great Falls MT, I recommend a stay at the O'Haire Motor Inn (17 7th St S Great Falls, Mt, United States +1 406-454-2141), and a stop in at the Sip 'N Dip Bar on Friday or Saturday night. Best Tiki Bar in America.

Once you have enjoyed Keith's hospitality in Calgary feel free to drop by in Edmonton, if you are traveling north. If need be, I have a tow dolly for your extraction if you break down around Edmonton.

Thanks Kevin! If I get my pulley - I'll be at the tiki bar 30 minutes after I leave! I have a fascination with tiki bar's - I'm really glad you mentioned that! After that it will be on to Sweet Grass, Montana, for a quit 8 hours of sleep, then hopefully a 700 mile day tomorrow to get me back on schedule! I'll have to eat my Cheerios with my hand for breakfast!

I apologize for not linking up with you other fine fellow samba supporters, but I've been busier than a one legged man in as kicking contest! It seems between bus issues, preparation issues, or just getting the mileage in - I've been pressed for time. I'm eating breakfast right now in Cascade, MT and I finally have time to update things!

In fact, I forgot where I left off on the story... I had to go back and re-read it!

After the oil change at Wal-Marts, I continued the drive to Jamestown. The oil was topped off in the bus, and it was just spewing out of the top. The whole thing looked like and out of control Texas oil well. I drove a bit slower to keep the RPMS down, but it didn't matter. This was a geyser that would not stop!

Other than that it was an uneventful drive through North Dakota. Not much there - just fields, some hills, not much. Frankie didn't mind. She slept the most of the way. I'm glad she's getting her groove down. I'll have to buy her a bed at the next stop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I probably spent a few hours at Walmarts, and by the time I rolled into Jamestown, it was late at night. The closest thing off the highway was a packed trucked stop. No thanks - I don't wish to be woken in the morning by the sound of revving diesels. I kept driving until I saw a hotel with a restaurant, free wi-fi sign, and an ample parking spot. I found a cozy spot to park the bus,

walked Frankie dog, and then went to bed around 1a.m. At 7a.m. the diesel bus next to me started up, honked his horn, and drove away.

By the time I woke up, it was raining. I checked the oil, (down a quart - I have an additional 2 or 3 quart sump so I have some to spare) and I decided to check on the giant concrete buffalo a guy at a gas station told me about. This buffalo was more than that - it was a whole wild west town and and buffalo museum. I don't feel like my pics are the best - I feel like I'm not framing them properly, I just dont have my professional photographer groove on. Hopefully soon.

This building was called the Louis L'Amour writing house. He's one of my favorite American authors. His stories are great! Good guy, bad guy, girl, treasure, killing, off into the sunset! If you haven't read anything by him, I highly recommend it. He was born right here in Jamestown. I'm sure there was a bigger museum, but I didn't have time to see it.

Here's the wiki link if you want more information!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_L%27Amour

Next was the buffalo museum. Supposedly the buffalo will graze in this field. However, it was raining, so they were hiding in the shrubbery.

We all have a right to roam.

The buffalo museum was a sad place - Hard to believe there used to be millions of them roaming the plains. They're all gone now except for a few scattered handfuls. They were killed mainly for their tongues and hides. All but wiped out in 30-40 years. Tragedy.

After leaving Jamestown, the scenery started to get a bit more scenic. I stopped at an overview. And a lady came up and hugged my bus. By this time, the bus was covered with smashed bugs and road grime, but she didnt care. She hugged it. I didn't get a picture of her, but I got a picture of the overlook.

After that, it was rain. Rain rain rain for a few hundred miles - almost until
Forsyth! But at least the terrain is looking better!

Last edited by Wheelie Pete on Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped at Forsyth to possibly take US2 North. So while I was there I bought a gas can, a doggie bed, and some hose to hopefully contain the texan oil well!

Just as I pulled up into the lot to take a little nap, this cat road up on his bike an introduced himself! He said he was following the trip and just happened to be in same town at the same time as I!

What a great guy. He helped me attempt to contain the oil leak, and attempted to help me locate the sound of my transmission clunk. It's sporadic clunk. The best I can tell is that it sometimes clunks after taking off in first, after turning right. - very sporadic. It doesn't do it all the time, so it makes it more difficult.

Cody has a few great cars. They're done up right, too. Next time you see him, ask him to show them to you! Good meeting you, Cody!

After Cody left, I filled up my brand new gas can across the road. I through it on top of my rack and it was leaking. I just bought it brand new across the street at Runnings Farm and Fleet. I feel like I'm never going to leave this town!

So, I drove back across the street to return the gas can, and then inside, then back outside to move the gas from the old can to the new can,......blah blah blah. Somehow in the middle of it all, I misplaced my church key and didn't realize it until this place,

Which was the real life Quick Stop from clerks. The only thing I didnt see there was a bunch of guys playing hockey on the roof. But I did see a a bunch of stoners in the parking lot, an unattentive clerk, who possibly was getting it on with his girlfriend in the back room, and all sorts of weirdos walking in and out. Weird place. Maybe they were filming a movie there.

By this time it was 10:30, and I had another 100 miles before Billing and I was done for the day. So with time tight and being tired, I topped off the oil and floored it. Yep floored it between the town pump and Billings. I love Montana. You know the roads are set up right if a vw bus can maintain 80mph without hitting the brakes for 100miles! What a nice smooth straight road! The thing I cant believe is that someone actually video taped me driving through!

Well Billings is a big place, and it was tough to find a place to camp with a little yard for frankie....but I finally found a spot. So I had little late night apple crisp and settled in for the night.

I woke up in the morning, had a grand slam, and went off to find the local vw shop to get my texas oil well capped.

On the way, I had to get a picture of the infamous Parkway Motel!

Last edited by Wheelie Pete on Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally made it to Big Sky Beetle in Billings Montana! What a great place and overall nice and knowledgeable guys.

Nick has a great shop - there are mints bugs outside

Minty fresh pans undergoing full restoration, carpeted spare engine rooms

and this old car built by the so-cal speed in the 60's or 70's. It was built and raced back in the day and old pictures can be found through out the old speed magazines of the day. Somehow it ended up in Montana and here it is now.

Nick the owner, helped me out by switching out my alternator stand cap, and re-orientating it to help stop the gushing. I put on a later model cap with no road draft tube, and with the vent tube orientation to the top (as opposed to side). I also drilled a little drain back hole inside the vent cap to allow oil drainage. Finally I have the vent draining into a mountain dew bottle. This will allow me to monitor the amount of oil escaping. So far it looks like it reduced it significantly, but I still need to do some more testing on it.

Nick also saw that my fan belt twisted and frayed. Must have happened during the cannon ball run from the night before. I was running an alternator belt on a generator main pulley. This means the V sits higher on the main pulley and subsequently deeper in the alternator pulley. This gives you higher fan speeds, which I thought would be useful being that my motor spins lower at highway speed due to my reduced R&P gear. So I asked Nick to change the belt and install a generator belt instead. This will give me stock fan speeds, but also more belt reliability. Trade-offs. I'll keep an eye on the temps as I progress. I'm not sure if the wider belt sitting deeper in the pulley was the start of my alternator pulley problems, but it could have been.

We also tried to find the transmission clunk, to no avail, but they did take great care of frankie dog!

Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by Wheelie Pete on Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad u r back at it. Thanks for taking us I
Along on your adventure.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie Pete wrote:
We also tried to find the transmission clunk, to no avail,

Yes, glad you're fixed. Did you guys make sure the RGB-to-spring-plate-bolts are tight? I'm sure you've checked your axle nuts too.
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Wheelie Pete wrote:

Yes, glad you're fixed. Did you guys make sure the RGB-to-spring-plate-bolts are tight? I'm sure you've checked your axle nuts too.

Not fixed yet - just catching up while I'm down. The parts gets here at 9pm tonight. We did check the spring plate bolts. Which ones are you calling the axle nuts? The big ones?
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie Pete wrote:
BarryL wrote:
Wheelie Pete wrote:

I'm sure you've checked your axle nuts too.
Which ones are you calling the axle nuts? The big ones?

Yes. Rarely a spline will get worn and if the big nut is slightly loose it will clunk if going from reverse to forward usually in first. Probably not it but thought I'd mention it. Usually the big clunk is the spring plate bolts.

If you have a sprung-hub on your clutch disc you can sometimes develop a clunk especially if you have a big engine.

Can you tell what part of the rear it's coming from? Does the gas pedal, shifter, or clutch pedal transfer the feel?
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be across the Imaginary Line by now.
Hope it went smoothly.
If you have time (I know you are behind schedule) give me a call and we can hook up.
Also, any issues between the border and Red Deer, I can help out.
Red Deer to Whitecourt is Kevin's responsibility.
After that, we'll wing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test your axle nuts and splines by marking the nut and drum and axle nut with white paint, then scribe the white paint with all the marks lining up. Next time you get a clunk -coast to the side and check the alignment of everything- If different - you have found your bad spot. (do not use the brakes as that may "reset" the clunk!).

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

Yes. Rarely a spline will get worn and if the big nut is slightly loose it will clunk if going from reverse to forward usually in first. Probably not it but thought I'd mention it. Usually the big clunk is the spring plate bolts.

If you have a sprung-hub on your clutch disc you can sometimes develop a clunk especially if you have a big engine.

Can you tell what part of the rear it's coming from? Does the gas pedal, shifter, or clutch pedal transfer the feel?

Can't really tell where it's from - its very sporadic - almost feels like it clunks a few feet after first engaging the clutch. And only sometimes. I does have a sprung hub clutch disc.
williamM wrote:
Test your axle nuts and splines by marking the nut and drum and axle nut with white paint, then scribe the white paint with all the marks lining up. Next time you get a clunk -coast to the side and check the alignment of everything- If different - you have found your bad spot. (do not use the brakes as that may "reset" the clunk!).

Even though I have cotter pins in place??
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie Pete wrote:
Even though I have cotter pins in place??

Yes, look for movement between the nut and the hub, if it wasn't torqued properly but still had the cotterpin installed the axle could be moving in the hub, nut and all.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize - I'm still trying to catch up - this next bit is right after leaving Big Sky Beetle on my way towards Butte!

Still in the city but the scenery is improving!

Then just north of 90 on I15 popped it this tiny little town I just had to visit. It looked like an old mining town with tons and tons of odd and interesting things including vehicles!

Old trailers and things just let to sit!

Maybe some folks came to visit,.......

And never left!

These little guys were hiding everywhere!

I love this ambulance!!!

Then how about this old railroad tunnel just outside of town??

I wanted to go in an explore, but it was raining, and it was late, or I was just scared!!!

Finally I get another hour or two north, and disaster strikes! The red alternator light goes on! I quickly stop the bus, go in the back to inspect, and find the alt pulley broken in half. It ate away the belt and buzz sawed through the alternator! ( this was the event that left me stranded a few days ago - I'm just catching up!)

Stranded!!

Well,.. what to do, what to do.... I put a SOS out on samba, and tried to get in touch with a few folks, but most people (believe it or not have lives!) Hah! So I realized I would be stranded for a while so I hitch hiked into town. I figured someone would have a vw parts stash hidden away somewhere. I got dropped off at the friendliest bar in town!

I sat down and started talking to the folks here, explained my situation and this gentleman here

Offered to tow me into town so I wouldn't be stuck on the freeway!

Fantastic!
So he dropped me off in a parking spot, I set up camp,

and started my search for a part. I finally found a pulley in Butte from Brad's VW. (I think that's what its called) Long story short Brad asked his wife to drop it off at the bus stop and the bus would deliver it to me in Cascade for $20!. However it would be on Saturday and the day it happened was Friday. No problem - I have some cleaning /organizing to do on my bus. I can keep busy no problem!
So I cleaned the bus - I wanted to look good for the border - I appreciate all the border crossing tips, btw.

And I also did a few walks. What a town to get stranded in! The only thing they didn't have was a beach. However you could see two foot long fish swimming in the missouri river below.

Last edited by Wheelie Pete on Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:20 am; edited 12 times in total
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yesterday I chilled and waited for the part to show up. In the process, I discovered this! Crap! The broken pulley buzzsaw effect! What to do,..what to do.....

I know!

Not good for ever, but good for now!

Looks perfect!

Good thing I ordered a spare alternator at the same time as I ordered the pulley!

Well, the pulley and spare alternator showed up at 9:10 last night in Cascade. I put the pulley on, and found it was rubbing the alternator housing. Looks like the whole alternator shaft somehow moved forward, dragging the pulley with it. This must have what broke the pulley. But why did the shaft move? Idk but I must keep an eye on it! So I found a washer, and placed between the alternator and new pulley. Turned it on, and no noise. What a rigged situation. Lets see how long before I have to change it!
Good thing I have a spare one on me.

So I left Cascade at 10:30 last night. I wanted to see the tiki bar that a samba member recommended, but it was getting too late, and I missed it. So, I kept driving and ended up in Shelby for the night. I stopped at a truck stop, slept, woke up, took a $10 truck stop shower, and headed for the border!

The border was easy breezy - thanks again for all the tips. I knew exactly what to say and act. They asked me a bunch of questions, I answered them appropriately, then they patted me on the ass and said have a good trip!

So then I drove across towards calgary where I am now! ( All caught up!)

Hopefully Edmonton tonight! Maybe even further! I have to hit arctic circle by the 21st!

Last edited by Wheelie Pete on Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was likely Brax VW parts, in Divide, MT. Glad you got the parts you needed.

Gotta love little western towns. It is always fun to cruise around to see what may be hiding. That two door 57 Chevy is a thing of beauty. I wonder how many guys here are looking at a Montana map trying to justify a road trip with their truck and trailer? Laughing
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible reason for the "clunk" could be a worn out axle causing too much play in the side gear. This is a problem I used to have until I replaced both axles, one side gear and two sets of fulcrum plates. The noise would always occur in first gear from a stop, mostly when the tranny had warmed up. After the fix, no more noise....at least for a few years. Now I'm dealing with it again (though it sounds different so could be something else entirely).

I'm curious about your speed and RPM stats. Are you using a GPS to get an accurate speed reading? Also, do you run front disc brakes because personally, I would never drive my loaded Westy any faster than 65 with drum brakes. It just feels too unsafe.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar clunk in my old 65 Riviera, but it had a straight axle rear. Turned out to be a cracked spider gear, and I was lucky to make it home. I drove it with that clunk for almost 3000 miles without knowing what it was.
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well long story short - I'm broken down again. The transmission blew up as I was trying to trouble shoot the clunk. But at least I know what the clunk is. If anybody has a lead on a transmission in the Edmonton / Calgary area, or knows a performance trans guy, let me know!
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://store.concept1.ca

You're in luck Pete, Concept 1 should be able to fix up you.

Ken is the proprietor and a Samba member.

Concept-1
18 Highfield Circle SE
Calgary, AB, T2G 5N5
Canada
View Map
Telephone: 403.287.8549
Enquiries: [email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 24

Jump to: