Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Quattro-Syncro. 1.8t, 5speed, AWD, ABS,EDL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Well, we did manage to throw the van together just barely enough to make it road ready to drive to the vw show. I made the trip with not one working gauge, no air filter, no door panels, no radio, no dash cover. there was no time to fool with them.

I have put about 200 miles on Quattrosyncro and all I can say is it is simply amazing to drive. The gearing is perfect! The drive is so smoothe, not a bit of the typical syncro vibration! It feels like the A4, just good smooth power. No clunking when accelerating or deceleration, no binding in parking lots, no constant fear in mind of the syncro trans going bad. I have shown you a glimpse of what it can do offroading and that will only improve once I have the ABS/EDL working.

I am still amazed at how well all the Audi parts fit in- stock vanagon axles, stock Audi driveshaft, stock Audi or passat 5 speed transmission that can be replaced for $350, a cool turbo engine that can deliver 200hp with only a ECM tune. All of these parts are easily available in salvage yards or Craig's list/eBay etc.

This could be the future for the Syncro Vanagon, there is no other way to update the complete drivetrain at this point.

Andrew-

This build as with your other was awesome! I love shit like this! My only prob would be the issue of getting it smoged in California with the engine spinning backwards. I know it'll be expensive but would my option to make it spin forward be have the ring and pinion made flipped? Thanx in advance....
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure CA wouldn't allow it to run counterclockwise ? The ECM doesn't know the difference.

I know almost nothing about what is or isn't required for CA but I wonder if the direction it turns would even be an issue. The engine looks like a stock passat or A4 engine.

Anyone know more on this subject?

You are correct about the gears needing to be reversed, in not sure if it is even possible with this trans/diff. I don't think we will be seeing that anytime soon.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! You know a peloquin diff is available on most of Audi transmissions (Not ideal in the front but now in the back!) I also wonder what a 4:1 Stasis diff would do for it? I like mine in the S4 Smile
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, which year A4s should one be looking for, in order to get the proper AEB and manual trans/diff with the right output flanges that bolt up to the T3 axles?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When does the RS model come out?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Are you sure CA wouldn't allow it to run counterclockwise ? The ECM doesn't know the difference.

I know almost nothing about what is or isn't required for CA but I wonder if the direction it turns would even be an issue. The engine looks like a stock passat or A4 engine.

You are correct about the gears needing to be reversed, in not sure if it is even possible with this trans/diff. I don't think we will be seeing that anytime soon.

Andrew-

Stephan has laid some ground work already.
I think that if this conversion was explained properly, it would pass in Cali.
Many different ways to approach it.
Being upfront, honest and explaining what one wants to do to the authorities will go much further than trying to fool them or keeping your mouth shut...which has put van owners in that State where they are now.

The future for conversions in any State should not be an issue if one can show, better mpgs, emissions, reliability, safety....in my mind.
Replacing with more efficiency and saving resources by using parts available and not needing to be produced should go a long way at some point...but this is America.
We shall see.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Great work! You know a peloquin diff is available on most of Audi transmissions (Not ideal in the front but now in the back!) I also wonder what a 4:1 Stasis diff would do for it? I like mine in the S4 Smile

Thanks Hans

I have considered these options, I want to first try just the Electronic diff lock with the stock audi diffs. I was really impressed at what my audi could do offroad.

Andrew-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
So, which year A4s should one be looking for, in order to get the proper AEB and manual trans/diff with the right output flanges that bolt up to the T3 axles?

1997-2000 audi a4 Quattro 1.8t manual will get you 90% of what you need.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:

As soon as the check clears. What would you consider the RS? Big turbo, big injectors, stage 3 tune, six speed?
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
flomulgator wrote:

As soon as the check clears. What would you consider the RS? Big turbo, big injectors, stage 3 tune, six speed?

More exhaust pipes and a tasteful deck spoiler that says "I'm too old and rich for a real wing" Laughing

A cursory search shows 300 AWHP plays nice in the long term with all the A4 bits, which is just awesome durability. That drivetrain is just so sweet!

I am curious though about your plans for stance. Stock, up, or down?
And while I'm at it, can we expect to see a yellow & white van in the 2015 Pikes Peak grid?
dredward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:

Andrew-
"Are you sure CA wouldn't allow it to run counterclockwise ? The ECM doesn't know the difference" I assumed the reading would be -1000 rpm vs 1000rpm. However if the ecu/ecm wouldn't know the difference who is to say there equipment would.
"Anyone know more on this subject?" I do. this isn't my first engine swap experience. The smog guys/refs can be Nazis. It seems to be who you go to and what they know. Not ALL refs are that bad but some are flat out silly.....
"You are correct about the gears needing to be reversed, in not sure if it is even possible with this trans/diff. I don't think we will be seeing that anytime soon." If it was possible that would be golden given I or anyone else would have two paths to take. If not the only option for me and other Cali. swap folks would be to reverse the engine rotation. If this could be done in Cali with no issues with smog refs, this would be bling bling golden!
Thanks for reply. Any peeps with smog ref and C.A.R.B. experience have anything to add?
Cars owned: 1979/89 scirraco, 1983 gti, 1984 gti, 1986 gti, 1990 gli, 1989 cabriolet(2.0,16v conversion), 1992 gti, 1982 Westy, 1987 syncro Westy(w/ 1.8t conversion stg1 chip), and finally 2004 r32....
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inspector wouldn't know the proper rotation direction of the motor.....no need to tell him! If all the emission items were present and levels were under standards, you should be able to get the swap through a referee station.

As far as an A4 drivetrain living with 300+HP under a 2.5ton fully loaded expedition rig.......I don't really think it will......but, I'm a guy with a Peloquin equipped/Albins geared 094 destined for life behind a 220HP 1.8T so what would I know Very Happy

Maybe your next project should be to locate a salvage RS6 and swap that in a van.......you'd have my attention there Idea
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:

And while I'm at it, can we expect to see a yellow & white van in the 2015 Pikes Peak grid?

For some reason when we put the van back together the front end seems to sit higher now, I did replace the springs but I was pretty sure they were just different used stock syncro front springs just less rusty. My plan is to just shim the rear springs to bring the back up to match it. I also want to get some more aggressive and a little taller tires for it.

Now that Pikes Peak is paved all the way to the top it doesn't interest me as much. I'll sign up for the NH mount washington climb to the clouds.

Andrew-
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
flomulgator wrote:

Now that Pikes Peak is paved all the way to the top it doesn't interest me as much. I'll sign up for the NH mount washington climb to the clouds.

Oh I forgot that; totally ruined the character of the race. The Climb to the Clouds looks awesome!
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you & the kids at the Litchfield show! Project Q-S really is going to revolutionize keeping these things on the road for the long term. Seriously starting to regret the diesel swap now. Razz

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry.

Nice meeting up with you again, glad you made the trip.

I'm really amazed at the traction this thing has, very capable offroading even as is with street tires and no traction control.

Link
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you showed the Audi looking at the paint it gave me a thought no one better had a similar view so here is my MS paint rendering with the basic paint scheme I saw.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely a game changer in the Syncro world. Thanks for thinking outside the box.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the script should read AWD for a Quattro, rather than 4WD

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 19

Jump to: