Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which EMPI exhaust?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Which EMPI exhaust? Reply with quote

The EMPI catalog list 2 quiet type exhaust. Is there a difference between the two? There's about a $10 difference in price on cip1.com

3648 - Dual quiet exhaust system

3121 - PREMIUM EXHAUST SYSTEM WITH DUAL QUIET MUFFLER

I am planning to use a quiet pack exhaust on my 1776 but wast sure which one to go with.

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy trimil. empi will rust very fast.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a single QT EMPI Exhaust system on my car and it has been fine but I do live in Vegas and we rarely get any rain.
If you get a EMPI exhaust system that is painted black, it is a light coating only to keep it from rusting in the box on the boat from China, It will burn off in the first hour so plan on repainting it soon.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get Bugpack quiet pack systems which are USA built, very nice, affordable, and last some time. I have used them on various engines. Their merged systems are just as nice as the standard small systems. They cost similar to Empi but are FAR better. I would NEVER use an Empi exaust again. Used them back when it is all I could find locally and they never last. Also took some apart over the years= crummy welding and little to no baffling. They keep going up in price but the quality just isn't there.

Do you have any port work on your 1776? which cam? The merged dual might be a better choice. Are you running heat?
57 Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off.... I see its your first post! Welcome aboard! You'll love this site if your already not a member under another name. Very Happy Anyway I wanna ask you if you have a budget or something and why are you looking at the EMPI exhaust systems? Been playin with VWs for a long time and have tons of friends here that do also. Not one of them had a good experience with EMPI exhausts here. (which they sell locally) If you can actually get them to fit they will last a very short period of time. If you want a good set I suggest the Scat exhaust systems. Had several sets and loved all of them. I think theyre subbing out to Als Headers now since the last one I got in Feb has their logo on it. But EXCELLENT quality and fit perfect! Cost me a lil over 200 just for the Merged exhaust but was well worth it. Ceramic coated of course.
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the car and to be truthful, I'm not exactly sure what all has been done to the engine. The car was acquired by the PO in some car trading and he wasn't much if a dub guy. I plan to tear down the engine this fall to find out what cam, compression ratio, vales, etc the engine has in it.

That said, I am not running heat (j tubes). Was looking at EMPI cause the local shop carried it. It's been 20 years since I worked on VW's but the shop I worked for used Bugpack back then. I have always liked the sound if a quietpack.

I'm not familiar with a merged system, can you elaborate or share a link?

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

It currently has an EMPI GT like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The merged setup is nicer for performance, but depending on your build, the more common 1 3/8 standard header would work. Merged don't usually come in 1 3/8, but you can get them from AJ for 1 1/2" which is good for a lot of smaller performance setups. I would do Bugpack's 1 3/8 header and dual quiet setup again. I did it on a 1679 in a bus and loved it. You can run this with J pipes just fine.

I don't know what it is but most people's local shops ALL carry Empi stuff. Most of it is junk, from personal experience. Made to fail in a matter of months, if not weeks.

I have not tried Tri-mil but heard great things. There are good companies out there, I just don't like Empi. Ive ran MANY of their exhausts over the years. Not their better products.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Pretty much says it all when it comes to EMPI...
But my EMPI HPMX carbs (set up by Art Thraen) are working quite nicely. I'd think twice about installing any of their exhaust systems unless you like pulling motors just to swap out a bad exhaust. And I'll give a +1 for the Scat merged ceramic header/Mondo muffler setup. Nearly a year on and it still looks like new. Not as quiet as I'd like but what the hey.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Berg dual QP originally purchased in 1997 and ceramic coated by Jet Hot.

Yes, the car is garaged but it does have about 50,000 mile on it since the exhaust was put on.

My points is: its cheaper to do it right the first time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
islandtime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the Scat merged header comes in 1 1/2" and 1 5/8". Is one better that the other?

If I were to get the Scat items below would they work together? The site list a quiet exhaust (1 3/8") and a QP muffler.

http://www.scatvw.com/master/exhaust/
SC112C 1-1/2" Merge Header - Ceramic
55192 13-1600 Sedan, Ghia Dual

Also, what is the AI or AJ you refer to?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1776..... 1-1/2". Larger will hurt performance.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
57 Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the 1 1/2 will b jus fine and the good thing is that it will last you and you can run them another motor up to a 2100 or so later if you wanna go bigger when you tear her down. Had a Scat 1 1/2 on my 2074 and ran perfect for years. Sold that motor and those headers sit under my house as we speak, 6 years old, off my car for about 4 months.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: