Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transaxle rebuild - shipping/import cost to canada
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: transaxle rebuild - shipping/import cost to canada Reply with quote

It seems it is time for a transaxle rebuild. No more 3/4 gears for me (removed shiftrod, still nothing: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7260853#7260853 ) - and when I start the van, releasing the clutch makes the transmission make noise and the engine slows down.

Does anyone know what the story is with customs and shipping costs for a rebuild? Do you have to pay import fees when you return a core? The shipping costs sound brutal - it might cost $300 (return) in the US, but I suspect it'll be double that for a few miles further north.

I could drive the transaxle (in my car) down to AATransaxle - it is about 3 hours each way and one border crossing. I'd love to do that for a swap rather than drive down twice. So that costs me a day, gas, and the pleasure of talking to border officials. That is probably worth at least $600 to me.

Or the local shop, Van Wonder, who said he could do it in a day, and would install a very good quality 3/4 slider, new bearings, and so on, for $1700 ($1600US). Very appealing in terms of time/location/hassle - John also said he'd install it as well, although I'd rather do that myself and not move the van in its current state.

It seems that John is probably the most economical option. I also would prefer that the money I spend goes into the transmission rather than on shipping it.

I would very much appreciate any feedback from people who've shipped one up. What did it end up costing in terms of shipping+fees?
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take down to AATransaxle. I did this a few years ago, nice drive and no hassle/duties at the border. Can't go wrong there, my first rebuild I had done locally failed within a year and it cost more. The AA rebuild has been flawless.
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ship it to AA. That's what I did from Edmonton, front diff and trans for my syncro. Ship it with a low declared value as used auto parts and there won't be any extra fees either way. I can't remember what shipping was going down, but I just checked my invoice from AA and they charged me $350 return shipping, dropped at my door. Just call Matt and ask him, he can guide you through it.
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get ahold of Vanagon Nut ... he just did this a couple of months ago and has all of the +/- data for you.

Cheers
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing against your local source -- but AA has the reputation.

They did mine 80,000 miles ago and it is flawless.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha.. I could have done a group shipping deal with Neil.

I think driving down makes sense. Anyone else in Vancouver need their transmission driven down? My wife has offered to do it - a chance for an outing with the girls. I'd love to do it, but I have a lot of pay-the-bills work to do.

I take it phone is *the* way to get a hold of Matt @ AA. I sent an email - but it had Daryl's email address. It felt weird sending an email to that address.

Anyway, thanks for confirming and giving some numbers. $350 return isn't as bad as I expected.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Nothing against your local source -- but AA has the reputation.

They did mine 80,000 miles ago and it is flawless.

Yeah. I'm well aware that the local cost at $1700 could easily cost me that again if I have to re-do it shortly. And if that happens, maybe the brand-new 5 speed at $~5k was actually cheaper than the pain-and-hassle. http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Type-2-Vanagon-84-03-TR...mp;vxp=mtr
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a nice drive; leave early to avoid border traffic ... BUT ... call Matt first and see if he has a swap ... he will look at yours and, if necessary, charge (very fairly) if your core is no good.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrydog411 wrote:
it's a nice drive; leave early to avoid border traffic ... BUT ... call Matt first and see if he has a swap ... he will look at yours and, if necessary, charge (very fairly) if your core is no good.

I did this a couple of years ago as part of a larger road trip. We left the van with Daryl and Matt and rode our bikes down the Snoqualmie Valley Trail to North Bend, where we stayed in a B&B. Nice little trip!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt is away until late next week - and I'm eager to get going, so I went with http://germantransaxle.com - and will ship it to the Point Roberts "Sip & Ship" http://pointrobertsshellcenter.com/shipping-station/

I'm hoping to do a single trip. Pick up the rebuilt transmission, unpack it and use the same packing materials to pack mine up, and send it back.

I'm a bit confused with the story at the border. I take a broken transmission down, and return the same day, with a repaired one. I might give the border agency a call.
Baxta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove mine down from Langley a couple of years ago. Stopped in at the Canadian border office before going down to see if they wanted to look at it, get a serial number or anything, but they sent me on my way. I expect that they understand the concept of a core charge, though. They did charge me taxes upon return, but I had a few extra goodies put on (ahem, decoupler) and needed some pricey replacement parts, so my invoice was well over what Van Wonder quoted you. I was very happy with AA's service and Daryl turned it around in a bit less than a week (if memory serves...)

A few months after the install, a seal went, so I took a quick trip down and Daryl re and re'd it right in front of my eyes in minutes. Helps to have the right tools and a lifetime of experience.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
Matt is away until late next week - and I'm eager to get going, so I went with http://germantransaxle.com - and will ship it to the Point Roberts "Sip & Ship" http://pointrobertsshellcenter.com/shipping-station/

I'm hoping to do a single trip. Pick up the rebuilt transmission, unpack it and use the same packing materials to pack mine up, and send it back.

I'm a bit confused with the story at the border. I take a broken transmission down, and return the same day, with a repaired one. I might give the border agency a call.

You don't need a 'story' at the border, just tell the Customs Officer what you are doing.

Its not illegal to take your transaxle (or your guitar) across the border for repair but you'll need to pay the GST when you import the transaxle back into Canada.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I didn't mean make up a story, it was a figure of speech; I meant what the situation was re: taxes/duty.

@Baxta - did they understand the concept of a core charge? It would suck to pay yet more on a refundable portion of the invoice. I can see how/why they might charge you for that though.

@Jake - yeah, but if you had a $100 repair to a guitar that is worth $10,000 would you pay GST on $10k or $100.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because GST will be charged on the highest amount shown on the invoice, ask that the core charge/credit not be listed as a subtraction from some greater amount.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matt_j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Nevermind, just noticed you're not going with AA. Anyhow, I'll be giving Matt a call in the fall to hopefully drive my transmission down for a rebuild. Been on the list of things to do for a while now.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, sorry matt_j - at least i hope this gives you some more info about the process of importing/etc.

and from the sounds of it, having a few weeks notice to book your rebuild with AA sounds like a good idea. i would think calling a month in advance would be a good idea.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
Yeah - I didn't mean make up a story, it was a figure of speech; I meant what the situation was re: taxes/duty.

@Baxta - did they understand the concept of a core charge? It would suck to pay yet more on a refundable portion of the invoice. I can see how/why they might charge you for that though.

@Jake - yeah, but if you had a $100 repair to a guitar that is worth $10,000 would you pay GST on $10k or $100.

You're only paying for what you're importing - if the guitar/transaxle/van was already paid for it is exempt. When I brought my transaxle back from rebuilding I paid GST on the parts & labour.

Actually, none of my US clients have reported having to pay anything on their way back, and they can petition for the return of the GST at the Duty Free on their way back home. Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does not bode particularly well for "core deposit" - which one could easily see as a "trade-in", therefore the cost is "core deposit" + rebuild cost.

I'm posting this as additional info for anyone else researching options. Will let you know how it goes for me.

Quote:

When shipping your transmission to your mechanic in the US for repair and replacement, please ensure you retain proof that your item originated in Canada. When the transmission is shipped back to Canada, we recommend the company making the repairs clearly indicates that the item is a Canadian good returning to Canada and provide an invoice for the cost of the parts and repairs.

Further details on goods returning to Canada after repair can be found in Memorandum D8-2-10, Goods Returning to Canada Having Been Repaired Outside of Canada, available on the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Web site at:
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d8/d8-2-10-eng.html

Rates of duty vary according to the goods you are importing, the country where the goods were made, and the country from which you are importing them.

While the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has rendered goods manufactured in the United States or Mexico free of customs duties, it does not exempt the goods from the application of the excise duty or tax, the goods and services tax (GST), the provincial sales tax (PST), or the harmonized sales tax (HST) if applicable.

If the transmission parts were made in any other country, an additional duty of 6.0 % would also be applied.

Should you wish to exchange your transmission for a new one, the CBSA will assess duty on the new transmission if it was manufactured in a country other than the United States and Mexico. Duty and taxes are assessed on your new transmissions value for duty. This is a value in Canadian funds based on the price you have paid or will pay for the new one before any consideration for a trade-in.
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html#s5

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” after you have made a selection of one of the 4 menu options.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy A LOT from the US, I always have my supplier bill me for the core seperatly, on a different invoice, I pay it by phone/email credit card and have it mailed to me. Canada Customs will make you pay HST and duty on the total amount of the invoice, including the core is it's listed on the manefest. They never differentiate a core value from any other part. It is possible to get a refund for HST from rev. Can. for the core, experience tells me it's easier and legal not to pay that in the first place.
Jeff
1990 Vanagon weekender Syncro AAZ
1987 Syncro Doka AAZ...soon to be TDI Smile
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1986 Weekender Syncro (Under construction)
1987 Westfalia (Under construction)
1987 Syncro Single cab
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff - you are 100% correct on the invoice total. I did get them to remove shipping costs, but core deposit was considered part of the value.

---

I thought I'd update you all on my imported rebuild. It is now installed and I got to drive it around a bit today. Quite happy so far, but want to take it on a longer trip.

I paid german transaxle CAD$ 2323 (USD$ 2123 = 1195 rebuild +700 core + 67 oil + 160 shipping) + 251 import tax, so total $2574. Hopefully I get my core deposit back - my R&P looked in good shape when I last looked - I had just redone all the seals on the transmission and had the bellhousing off. So, fingers crossed, I will get ~750 CAD$ back, bringing it down to $1800ish.

Maybe I can fight CBSA to get the $100ish on tax back they charged on the core deposit, but I kind of doubt it. Could I have fudged it, yeah. I could have said I was down in Pt Bob to get gas. I could have made a fake receipt for $400 for a used transmission. I could have kayaked down and back. I didn't. I nipped across the border for 45 mins and picked up/shipped my old trans and headed home, poorer but happy.

If you were to ship your transmission to be rebuilt (ie, send first rather than exchange) you could skip the core charge tax. Even better, drive down and drop it off, stay a few days, and come back with it - doing that will save you $500. So, if you had a good core, that would bring it down to ~1300.

Anyway, I'm still happy to have my van back on the road in the middle of summer. Having the transmission go after spending the past 6 months doing a (very slow) rebuild of the engine was rather crappy. From the time I ordered it, it took about a week including shipping. Part of me wanted to rip open and learn how to do a transaxle rebuild, but more of me wanted to drive the van.

My engine rebuild, where I did most of the work, ended up costing me about 2500 (EDIT: that includes buying all the tools). I'm getting faster at removing the engine. Woo. Now, I hope I can't brag about that anymore this year.

So, yeah, 1700+tax for the local option would be ~$2k. Would the quality of work be better/worse - I really cannot say. I do have misgivings about spending money on shipping crap around, and it was still a bit of a hassle to drive down to pick it up.

So, now I have another $5k sunk into this van over the last year. I better get to replacing those window seals and give it a lick of paint already. Anyway, I feel like I can trust it (harh, just look at him talk - wait till he gets back from his long road trip). No, really. I'm pretty sure my engine is back to normal - coolant bleeding was a snap, I accelerate up hills, I have an oil pressure gauge to install, and an oil temp gauge, but need to figure out where to put that)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: