Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jalousie Window Glass Thickness
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Jalousie Window Glass Thickness Reply with quote

In dismantling my jalousies to refinish and resealed, I replaced the glass with tempered glass. I left on original piece with the local glass cutter and he ordered me what I needed.
Now, with the new glass in hand - it doesn't fit. But, I don't have an original piece to measure against. My originals are in my bus and I don't want to take it apart to risk not bring able to get it back together.

Does anyone have so original piece and a micrometer that can measure the thickness for me?
I think my new glass is 1/8".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you mic the glass that is installed in the jalousie windows?
I don't see why you'd have to take anything apart...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the jaws on my micrometer are parallel and will contact the metal frame before touching the glass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get 2 pieces of any material that are flat and thicker when laid against the glass than the frame. place one piece on either side of the glass and mic the whole thing. then mic the added material and subtract it from the combined thickness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already asked this question, and it was answered: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6941798. Getting old
is a bitch, ain't it?

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
You already asked this question, and it was answered: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6941798. Getting old
is a bitch, ain't it?

It might be a sign of premature Alzheimer. At 27 it won't be long until he's a drooling mess.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Because the jaws on my micrometer are parallel and will contact the metal frame before touching the glass.

Gotcha. I was thinking of one of those C-clamp shaped ones. I have one, and some jalousies. If I can remember, I'll take a measurement when I get home.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:
is a bitch, ain't it?

It might be a sign of premature Alzheimer. At 27 it won't be long until he's a drooling mess.

HOLY CRAP! I really need to be worried... I completely forgot about that!
I guess thats what happens when i let the project hit the backburner for so long.
Man, when you guys can remember this shit better than me - I've got issues!

Thanks so much for remembering, and pulling that up for me!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Glenn wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:
is a bitch, ain't it?

HOLY CRAP! I really need to be worried... I completely forgot about that!

Mike, take it from a older / wiser man, write stuff down before you forget. I do it whenever I need to..............................

What were we talking about?

My son put this on my 50th birthday card.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: