Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1965 1200cc vintage speed theme..
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: My 1965 1200cc vintage speed theme.. Reply with quote

In the latter part of 2012, while I was painting my 1965 bug, I installed a dual 30 PICT Solex carbs from the scratch with the vintage speed theme in mind. I hope this topic fits on this forum. Thanks.

The donor parts: two 1200 K manifolds and two 30 PICT carbs plus the Borg Warner NOS Linkage I bought.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The removed the end castings of the intake and exhaust manifolds.

Preparing for the proper alignments of the manifolds to get the correct angels.

Welding together the intake and exhaust manifolds.

Checking the fitments whether the carbs snags correctly in the intake manifold.

I bought a tubing for the balances and had it bended to mimic the Okrasa style.

I also bought this tubing for the fuel system and had it welded too to again imitate the Okrasa style.

Welding the balancer onto the manifold.

The finished manifolds. I placed the dual carbs to see if the alignments and angels are in order.

The initial checking for the parts to be needed prior to the installation.

I painted the manifolds using pilox easy spray paints.

Installing the manifolds, the dual 30 PICT Solex carbs and the balancer.

I placed the fuel lines onto the engine after installing the carbs and had it bended accordingly to its proper positions.

Finally, finished, expect for the vintage style air cleaners.

'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20

Last edited by DONGKG on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing vintage style external oil cooler:

The copper tubing for the oil cooler.

The junction for the oil pressure sending unit and one going to the copper tubing oil cooler.

The bracket for the copper tubing to be installed at the back of the engine beside the fan.

With the copper tubing installed.

But in the process, I installed an oil filter from later model accessories here since I haven’t found a Fram for the application. Though it works.

The engine with the revised oil cooler with bypass oil filter:

'67 Splitty Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the 2012 Dec VW show, Quezon City, Philippines:

Some pics:

The arm rest I fabricated:

The axillary oiler i made:

the Oettinger Okrasa badge:

Okrasa pedal and shift knob:

'67 Splitty Bus
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice dual carb build.

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

auslander wrote:
Very nice dual carb build.

Thanks so much, buddy! It was fun doing it!
'67 Splitty Bus
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful job! You just dove in with both feet and made something awesome.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadcow wrote:
Wonderful job! You just dove in with both feet and made something awesome.

Thanks so much. I was a labor of love and driving it now really feels awesome.And the dual 28 solex conversion really gives an extra kick to the 1200 engine. Thanks!
'67 Splitty Bus
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dong- clever work! Did you use the straight section of the original intake manifold pipe (between the left down-turn for the head, and the left edge of the aluminum heat riser casting) for your "down" section of the new manifold? With the new manifolds' outward tilting, did you happen to check if they would fit an engine with the fresh air fan shroud outlets? Looks like they could.

So how does the engine run with the two carbs? Is the engine still a 1200 40hp, or did you install the big-bore cylinders? Did you need to change the jets in the carbs at all?
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Hey Dong- clever work! Did you use the straight section of the original intake manifold pipe (between the left down-turn for the head, and the left edge of the aluminum heat riser casting) for your "down" section of the new manifold? With the new manifolds' outward tilting, did you happen to check if they would fit an engine with the fresh air fan shroud outlets? Looks like they could.

So how does the engine run with the two carbs? Is the engine still a 1200 40hp, or did you install the big-bore cylinders? Did you need to change the jets in the carbs at all?

Thanks!

I used the two old k-manifolds and the long straight part of the manifold was used. In fact that long part of the manifold was the one that joined the end casting for heads and carbs. I was not able to check if it can fit the fan shroud with fresh air. But if that fan shroud would have been used, I guess I would have made some adjustments on the angle of the manifolds in order for the carbs to fit well. But I guess it willfit.

At first the engine was running quite rich but when we replaced the jetings and installed the Bosch 009, it was running better now. And I can truly say that the engine was given some extra ponies in the process!

Absolutely, it was a 1200cc engine with 40 hp.

Thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:
Rome wrote:

Thanks!

I used the two old k-manifolds and the long straight part of the manifold was used. In fact that long part of the manifold was the one that joined the end casting for heads and carbs. I was not able to check if it can fit the fan shroud with fresh air. But if that fan shroud would have been used, I guess I would have made some adjustments on the angle of the manifolds in order for the carbs to fit well. But I guess it willfit.

At first the engine was running quite rich but when we replaced the jetings and installed the Bosch 009, it was running better now. And I can truly say that the engine was given some extra ponies in the process!

Thanks,

Dong

Hi dong .i like guys like you .that show others .that you don't need a lot of money .to get what you want . One cool looking dual carb set up .you only need a good welder used parts .and the time it takes to put it all together . Same with your oil cooler .you now have a one of kind dual carb set up that no one else has . Keep up the good work can't wait to see what you make next for your bug spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
DONGKG wrote:
Rome wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks,

Dong

Hi dong .i like guys like you .that show others .that you don't need a lot of money .to get what you want . One cool looking dual carb set up .you only need a good welder used parts .and the time it takes to put it all together . Same with your oil cooler .you now have a one of kind dual carb set up that no one else has . Keep up the good work can't wait to see what you make next for your bug spencerfvee
thanks so much buddy. This vintage speed theme is my favorite. I guess if you've been into.the vw scene for so long a time you will outgrown the hunger of bigger engines and would opt to venture on the vintage performance side. That has happened to me. And i next project is a 1959 convertible beetle with the vintage sped theme in mind again. Thanks for the wonderful comments!
'67 Splitty Bus
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use a fuel filter for the oil?
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
DONGKG wrote:
Rome wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks,

Dong

thanks so much buddy. This vintage speed theme is my favorite. I guess if you've been into.the vw scene for so long a time you will outgrown the hunger of bigger engines and would opt to venture on the vintage performance side. That has happened to me. And i next project is a 1959 convertible beetle with the vintage sped theme in mind again. Thanks for the wonderful comments!

Hi dong. Your post got me thinking so I had two vanguard 40hp manifolds but no linkage for them it was missing . So off to a tractor farm parts store I got every thing to make a linkage .went to my vw parts store got more parts 2days later I had my cross bar linkage all done I used two 30 pic carbs for a 1967 bug .i am very happy with the linkage and carb set up its real smoth my 40 hp motor has a big bore kit and big valve heads and a cam fully ported heads . This motor is going in my formula vee .i did have a pepco super charger on my 40 hp motor. but I am putting the super charger on a other motor thanks for getting me fired up on making the linkage for my 40 hp vee motor and it only cost me $75.00 for all the parts and a good friend gave me the intake manifolds will post pictures today take care buddy spencerfvee

DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
DONGKG wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
DONGKG wrote:
Rome wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks,

Dong

Hi dong. Your post got me thinking so I had two vanguard 40hp manifolds but no linkage for them it was missing . So off to a tractor farm parts store I got every thing to make a linkage .went to my vw parts store got more parts 2days later I had my cross bar linkage all done I used two 30 pic carbs for a 1967 bug .i am very happy with the linkage and carb set up its real smoth my 40 hp motor has a big bore kit and big valve heads and a cam fully ported heads . This motor is going in my formula vee .i did have a pepco super charger on my 40 hp motor. but I am putting the super charger on a other motor thanks for getting me fired up on making the linkage for my 40 hp vee motor and it only cost me $75.00 for all the parts and a good friend gave me the intake manifolds will post pictures today take care buddy spencerfvee

Wow, that is so amazing! It was a cool set up, just like what I did. I know that youa re very proud of the result. I like the set up.! It is so so cool. Keep it up, buddy!
'67 Splitty Bus
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks ago, I found these two NOS Fram filters, which I will install on my 65 ragtop vintage speed and resto-custon 1967 bus. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=539202&highlight=

Then just today, I went at the store and they found ather two Fram filters. And you won't believe! Both are still sealed and I was the one who broke the seals just to check the contents. The other one is still sealed!

The sealed Fram Filters.

After tearing the seal! The box inside is still with its original tapes.

Just opened after so many years!

The instructions!

The NOS Fram Filter.

Now I have four NOS Fram Filters. I will install one of these on my 1965 ragtop!

I will install the other one on my forthcoming 1959 'vert project!
'67 Splitty Bus
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic build.
any pics of the country buggy? (Sakbayan)
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
epic build.
any pics of the country buggy? (Sakbayan)

Thanks buddy! The Country buggy is hibernating!

I recently installed a NOS Fram Oil Filters. I have 3 more extra NOS fram oil filters!

Doing the inventory of the needed parts and checking the Fram. It's really cool installing this NOS fram. I was thinking whether to install it, it is a good thing I have three more extra NOS Fram. So installing this fresh from bhe box NOS Fram and letting it go was easy!

Installed one! I looks really classic. Now my vintage theme 1965 bug is getting into share.

WHo knows, next time, I can stumble a NOS Oksara somewhere along the way! ..... wishful thinking I guess!
'67 Splitty Bus
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all those lines and coils on the engine, you'd think you have a small distillery going! Shocked

The FRAM filter really does bring the engine appearance back to the '60's.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
With all those lines and coils on the engine, you'd think you have a small distillery going! Shocked

thanks buddy!
'67 Splitty Bus
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dongkg motor looks great. What are you going to do next on your car ?i know your not done lol .spencerfvee
DONGKG wrote:
Rome wrote:

thanks buddy!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: