Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to secure your Thing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wolfburg West shift lock is nice and not too expensive. Here is my assortment of security -- none of it that great but collectively requires time. I have a battery cutoff similar to citroen thanks to the previous owner.

Double lock at storage area -- can't take it with me but there's a CCTV camera overhead as well.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The classic -- my dad would say it's enough to keep the honest people out.

The cable goes around the bumper and a five-inch pipe (or the pipe portion of a fence if at home). I have a 25-foot cable I take with me if it has to be parked alone for any period of time like at the train station when I use Thing to commute. Just another layer of annoyance.

hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steering wheel bar can be overcome by taking a hacksaw to the steering wheel.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobie16 wrote:
The steering wheel bar can be overcome by taking a hacksaw to the steering wheel.

Of course. There's nothing there preventing anything. It's just another layer for more time consumption. Heck, the bumper could be a goner, too. Having a gun is only useful if I'm in or near Thing 24-7.

In the long run, I have more concerns about the curtains and doors being stolen. And since getting in Thing is no problem, popping the front lid isn't a problem either. So, nothing of major value goes there either. I certainly don't drive Thing as regularly as I did Cruiser (my name for my '71 Super) because of the security differences and Cruiser was no Fort Knox either.

The steering wheel bar is the one carryover from Cruiser. I felt it was visual enough to imply other deterrents awaited the bad guys. Besides, I'm not all that worried about folks walking the streets and parking lots with hack saws. Anyone that determined is going to target semi-modern cars where they can flip the parts much more readily.
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
hobie16 wrote:

Of course. There's nothing there preventing anything. It's just another layer for more time consumption. Heck, the bumper could be a goner, too. Having a gun is only useful if I'm in or near Thing 24-7.

In the long run, I have more concerns about the curtains and doors being stolen. And since getting in Thing is no problem, popping the front lid isn't a problem either. So, nothing of major value goes there either. I certainly don't drive Thing as regularly as I did Cruiser (my name for my '71 Super) because of the security differences and Cruiser was no Fort Knox either.

The steering wheel bar is the one carryover from Cruiser. I felt it was visual enough to imply other deterrents awaited the bad guys. Besides, I'm not all that worried about folks walking the streets and parking lots with hack saws. Anyone that determined is going to target semi-modern cars where they can flip the parts much more readily.

These are all good ideas.

Another suggestion: Has anyone ever thought of cutting the gearshift level way low, then making a threaded collar of an odd size with the rest of the shift lever?

What's the chances the thief can shift the level if he/she can't grab or move it?

You leave the rest of the lever in the trunk and just carry or hide the collar
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sxuxrxf wrote:
Shoyrtt wrote:
Any idea if a locking shifter from a type 1 will work on a Thing? Gene Berg sells one for $500+ (seems a bit pricy) and I have seen several vendors that sell just the lock for around $100 but they claim to be for 71 and earlier Bugs with stock shifters only.

I have the WW shift lock in my '74.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW36LATEA

Added security, replace the standard Phillips screw that holds the halves together with an Allen head

mlwmerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in the Army in Korea in 1963-1965 and driving Three Quarter Ton Trucks w/o ignition key locks - we used to carry a heavy duty chain and lock.

One wrap around the clutch pedal and around the steering wheel would successfully deter thefts. Also the fact that barbed wire and chain link fences were everywhere and every one was armed also helped.

It wasn't so much the Koreans we wanted to deter but our fellow sticky fingered US GIs. It was a major PIA to lose a Govmt vehicle.
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it easy to get the shifter lock keyed like the ignition key?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBall8019 wrote:
Is it easy to get the shifter lock keyed like the ignition key?

Good question, but I believe it's an entirely different profile.
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it were possible to match the ignition key, it wouldn't matter.
The shift lock works like the ignition...both keys must be inserted into their mechanisms in order to start the engine and shift. The shift lock key is only removable in the "locked" position. You can see in the picture above that there is a key ring on the key. It's a detachable unit so you can clip it to your main key chain when you lock up the car and walk away.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must have changed them since I had my Wolfsburg West version from the late 80's. On mine you could take the key out in the locked, or unlocked position.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: