Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 walkthrough kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad2thabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a spare early beam from a friend, he had no idea of the condition so I disassembled it and found the brake components to be fairly new!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got my spindles ready to disassemble and flip.

And a quick pic of my bumpers I need to straighten out, I can't find a late rear bumper to save my life so these will do. Oh and Merry Christmas everyone!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6992647&highlight=#6992647
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwserphguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the OG status on this one! Welcome to the early walk through club Cool Where did this one come from?
brad2thabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwserphguy wrote:
Love the OG status on this one! Welcome to the early walk through club Cool Where did this one come from?

Thanks! Its mcode destination was St.louis Missouri. I think it spent some time in the surrounding states. It ended up back in Missouri, now to Michigan.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M183kombi wrote:
That is a sweet bus...bullet ts walk thru window buses, kombi's in particular, are my fave...the less 'bling' the better...

My thoughts exactly! I'm partial to early walk thru kombis myself.
Phil 4:13
brad2thabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update, all suspension and drivetrain completely rebuilt and new. Drove it for the first time yesterday! Not real far, or fast. I still need to add my door tops and windshields. A super short vid at the bottom, if you want to see me rolling in the driveway for 15 feet. Laughing

http://youtu.be/X6HAFTQuxJU
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats...great feeling to drive it for the first time, even if its in the driveway. This is a very cool bus....WOO!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brad2thabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

After driving my bus as is for about 7 years. I’m finally giving it the attention it deserves. Some repairs are about a year old but I’ll post my progress anyway. Got it all stripped out and repaired inner/outer doglegs then front floor first. Pics will explain my process.

brad2thabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

When I got the floor out. I decided to do my steering box raise. Hayburner kit 40mm/ 1.575” raise was excellent. I’ll be taking the same out of the column tube and shaft with some machine work.

brad2thabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

Lower dogleg inner and outer s were a real treat. Contours and profile were all wrong. After hacking them up everything fitted up nice.

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

nice work on fitting that dogleg, W/T kombi is rad!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

Yes I agree and super nice welds.

ryans65 wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil_azza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

Awesome bus and great work
69 karmann cabriolet
61 panel bus
brad2thabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:

Thanks man!

More build pics. Paint blended and Upol gravitex the top and bottom of the front floor. I also did the same rust repair to the passenger dogleg. Also had to cut that part to fit, but hey! Laughing I’m happy with how it turned out, the paint is a little light but it’s good for now.

Steering box build was next disassembled and rebuilt. Also took the right amount out of the column tube and re added the threads and key way for the steering wheel.

brad2thabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

lil_azza wrote:
Awesome bus and great work

Thanks for the kind words!
brad2thabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

Just a couple assembly pics of the interior. I really like the combo of dove blue and yellow/mustard tones. I’ve had this postal yellow radio delete for years so I’ve decided to run it. That dash handle too! Oh mama! The overall vision for my bus will be a kombi camper so lots more to come.

brad2thabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

Ordered a set of Wolfgang safaris. I disassembled them and painted with ppg delfleet essential flat black. It’s a perfect sheen for these, I wanted them to still blend in like stock windshield rubbers. Really happy with how they came out. Cool

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

Those came out great. I have a love/hate relationship with my safari's. Love them until there is rain and then they leak like crazy and you have to deploy the safari towels. The price we pay I guess.
brad2thabone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Those came out great. I have a love/hate relationship with my safari's. Love them until there is rain and then they leak like crazy and you have to deploy the safari towels. The price we pay I guess.

I’ve been lucky enough to miss any rainstorms in this bus. Gotta pick up some towels for sure! I do remember a time in my friends panel, parcel tray full of rain. Then it would come sloshing out every corner! It’s funny now, but then it was a nightmare!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

brad2thabone, excellent job on the paint and seals. Do the Wolfgang Safari's come in primer or do they also paint them for an extra fee? Being I have to remove my glass (cracked installing) I have thought of Safari's. But everyone says they leak. Are there any methods of install that do not leak? If not I'd love to see methods of living with the leaking problem. Keep up the great work.

brad2thabone wrote:
srfndoc wrote:

I’ve been lucky enough to miss any rainstorms in this bus. Gotta pick up some towels for sure! I do remember a time in my friends panel, parcel tray full of rain. Then it would come sloshing out every corner! It’s funny now, but then it was a nightmare!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 walkthrough kombi Reply with quote

brad2thabone wrote:
Just a couple assembly pics of the interior. I really like the combo of dove blue and yellow/mustard tones. I’ve had this postal yellow radio delete for years so I’ve decided to run it. That dash handle too! Oh mama! The overall vision for my bus will be a kombi camper so lots more to come.

Like the Bus! FYI, Did you know that your dash grab handle is a fairly hard to find handle that was standard equipment only on a Oval era Beetle Kabriolett (convertible)? The aluminum on the handle ought to polish out nicely!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: