Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's My Bus Worth?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: What's My Bus Worth? Reply with quote

Hello Samba! I'm thinking of selling my camper and was looking for some input for pricing. What's it worth?!!! Her name is Mathilda and she is a 67 11 window standard with a "Road Runner" camper plaque on her side but has a retro-fitted 68 Westy interior. Very straight with no rust at all. New 1904 engine, dual kadrons, new transmission with 4:12 r&p, everything works, just get in her and enjoy! Have a look at the photos and I would love your input. Thank you for looking.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not post in the classifieds your bus with a price of "best offer"? If people are not concerned with the bus spending time in TJ or the history that you have posted, (for example: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=40) then you will receive various offers that you can consider. Otherwise, your thread here just looks like a veiled attempt to post a classified ad in the split bus section. Confused
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ther are plenty of buses in the classifides that you can use to estimate the value at; if you are still not sure start high and work your way down.

Please don't put "best offer" where there should be a price; there are enough of those adds as it is; IMO all these best offer adds should be listed on ebay, where they belong.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
dvance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn!
I thought this was the beginning of a new thread.
I hoped it was going to be like the TV show on Velocity, "What's my car worth?"
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start at 25k and don't take less than 15.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoyrtt wrote:
Why not post in the classifieds your bus with a price of "best offer"? If people are not concerned with the bus spending time in TJ or the history that you have posted, (for example: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=40) then you will receive various offers that you can consider. Otherwise, your thread here just looks like a veiled attempt to post a classified ad in the split bus section. Confused

If you really want to look like you know what's up, you need to have the buyers "ASK!". That way you can field a bunch of smartass questions and lowball offers.

My advice, FWIW, is just like Greg's except start just over what you would really, really like to get for it and then either accept the closest offer or go Dutch Auction-style and just reduce the price by ~1 to 2k each time your ad renews. Easy-peasy!

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:

25k might get you a spot in the whines in my opinon. I'd start around 20-21k and then "no less than 15."
Phil 4:13
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mg6770 wrote:
RPGreg2600 wrote:

25k might get you a spot in the whines in my opinon. I'd start around 20-21k and then "no less than 15."

Who cares? Wink I always start higher than a I think a car is worth when I sell one. You can always come down on the price, but can't go up.
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPGreg2600 wrote:
mg6770 wrote:
RPGreg2600 wrote:

Who cares? Wink I always start higher than a I think a car is worth when I sell one. You can always come down on the price, but can't go up.

You must not watch the classifieds, people raise prices all the damn time.

Honestly, this thread smells like spam to me....

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a "restored", running, driving fried egg bus with little to no rust, newish two-tone paint and a new "performance" engine of unknown quality and a bay window rear bumper so that makes it worth around $5K

it's a kombi converted SO Westy camper that appears to have most of the OG equipment--albeit with poorly recovered rear seats--so that makes it worth another $2K

IMO, it's WORTH about $7,000.

what some middle aged boomer who needs to relive his youth would be willing to pay for it is another story all together.
my estimate of worth does not in any way reflect where the market is right now Wink

edit: just noticed the CA black plates.
those are worth another $50
ajbsd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input and humble opinions. She's a great bus that gets many smiles per miles so I think I'll just keep it and enjoy. BTW, no this is not spam or a veiled attempt to post a classified ad in the split bus section. Just was looking for some honest feedback. Thanks again. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For insurance purposes, I'd split the high and low from above and insure it for $20K in an agreed value policy.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are features of the icebox that don't look Bay. Do you know the history of the entire interior?
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
There are features of the icebox that don't look Bay. Do you know the history of the entire interior?
I don't think any bay ice box had the top thin drawer like that

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
BarryL wrote:
... the icebox...don't look Bay.
I don't think any bay ice box had the top thin drawer like that

'65-'66 Whale pump, too. Stainless metal water cap but on later tank; neck looks skinny on my screen?
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
it's a "restored", running, driving fried egg bus with little to no rust, newish two-tone paint and a new "performance" engine of unknown quality and a bay window rear bumper so that makes it worth around $5K

it's a kombi converted SO Westy camper that appears to have most of the OG equipment--albeit with poorly recovered rear seats--so that makes it worth another $2K

IMO, it's WORTH about $7,000.

what some middle aged boomer who needs to relive his youth would be willing to pay for it is another story all together.
my estimate of worth does not in any way reflect where the market is right now Wink

edit: just noticed the CA black plates.
those are worth another $50

What a good or service is 'worth' is determined by the market (in a free market capitalist economy), not opinions. It has always been that way since capitalism crawled out of the swamp. You may not be happy with the escalating prices of VW buses but they are 'worth' what someone is willing to pay. It's that simple.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajbsd wrote:
Thank you all for your input and humble opinions. She's a great bus that gets many smiles per miles so I think I'll just keep it and enjoy. BTW, no this is not spam or a veiled attempt to post a classified ad in the split bus section. Just was looking for some honest feedback. Thanks again. Very Happy

Perhaps "I'm thinking of selling and need your input" mislead a few folks.

That is a very nice bus. Keep her. She'll be worth even more questions in a few years. Money, too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: