Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GW Cruise Control Kit
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: GW Cruise Control Kit Reply with quote

I'm on the verge of purchasing the GW cruise control before the double bucks offer ends and was curious to see if anyone has it. If so what are your thoughts on it? Your opinion even if you don't have or even plan on picking one up would be helpful also. Thanks folks.

1984 Westy
1986 7 Pass R.I.P. Donor van
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sold - it's on my "definitely soon" list.

I like the simplicity of running the actuator directly to the pedal, rather than have
to mess with wiring the length of the van, plus more vacuum connections & cramming
2 more big cans (throttle actuator & vac pump) into the engine bay.

I'm definitely on this within a couple years, but first I promised the boss
I'd dial in the AC - plus I'm due for new tires.

<damn budgets>

Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the "bouncy speedometer syndrome?"

I'm curious how this works with speedometer cables that "bounce" in lower speeds. I've replaced my cable several times as something inside seems to increase friction with time.. to a point where the need will bounce at lower speeds.

I re-read the description several times, expecting the speed reading to come from a "hall-effect-sensor" that would read the wheel spin from the CV-joint; much like Bostig does for linking the ECU to wheel rotation.
1979 Sears Freespirit Moped
1996 Chev S10 4x4 ZR2
2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Wife's)

== How I Pay the Bills ==
Windows FTP Server at http://www.bpftpserver.com (PM for a FREE one)
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, interesting.. I see they say this; I'll shoot them an email...

Quote:

*If your speedometer has a screw-on speedometer cable, you do not have a provision for the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). You will need to purchase one of our speedometers and a snap-in cable, sold separately below. Alternatively, you can accomplish a VSS via mounting magnets on one of the drive axles—but we don't carry those parts, and we cannot offer technical advice about that system.

1979 Sears Freespirit Moped
1996 Chev S10 4x4 ZR2
2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Wife's)

== How I Pay the Bills ==
Windows FTP Server at http://www.bpftpserver.com (PM for a FREE one)
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this back to the top since spring has sorta happened! Would anyone care to share their thoughts? If you have one and have a non-padded dash, how did you mount the module? Did you drill holes like they suggest or mounted it another way? I'm leaning toward epoxying a 1" wood block to the underside of the dash then mounting to that. Not sure if it will work. Any ideas are welcome. Not really into drilling holes in the dash.

1984 Westy
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the install yesterday I'm pretty happy with the results.
I didn't take many photos, one actually. I find it difficult to do any upgrade and snap photos as I go. I just get on a roll and it just doesn't happen. Anyway on to a quick overview. The install is pretty straight forward just as described in the directions. I installed it in my 84' and ran into a few hiccups. I went with the wood block method for the mounting control unit under the dash (only photo I snapped). The suggested method for non padded dash is to drill holes though and use nuts and bolts. No thanks on that. The factory screw holes for the brake and clutch switch weren't there and had to be drilled out, no biggie. On the back of the speedo where the removable tab is for the VCS had to be opened up a bit. The hole wasn't big enough. The most difficult part of the install was at the pedal linkage. Getting the holes drilled for the incoming and out going of the cable was difficult. Kind of an awkward place to drill holes and have them line up. I didn't remove the cover totally. So this maybe my fault. Another difficult (or should I say painstaking) part is getting the 1/8 of slack in the cable per the instructions. It involves a lot of assembly and disassembly to adjust. Upon the first test drive I was impressed with the ease of use. There was about 4/5 MPH difference with at which the "set" button was pressed and the actual speed it "set" at. I have a feeling this has to do with the 1/8 of slack. I readjusted the cable after the drive but have yet to go on another drive. Also it felt as though I lost some pedal. Before CC pedal to the floor I could get 75/85 Mph after it would only get 70. I think it might just be cable adjustment. It sorta felt like it was binding just before the floor so I'm not sure yet. The accel/resume works well also. I was close to where I was speed wise when I turned it off before I used the resume. The one other thing I can say is when you turn off the CC there is a very loud knock from it disengaging. Wether it be the Brake/Clutch or off button didn't matter. I will find out if it went away with the slack adjustment today on the next test drive. That's about all for now. I am happy with the purchase and ease of install. I also went with the wireless switch option. Photo of the wood mount is below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1984 Westy
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey binger59!

Care to add to your review now that you have had a chance to test after the last adjustments? Is there still a 4/5 mph difference? Did you get your full pedal back?

Thanks for that, and any other opinions anyone cares to add about the GW cruise unit.
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm still very pleased with the unit. I've gotten the setting down to around 3 mph difference upon where it's first set. There is a slight delay until the unit picks up so that played into the 3mph swing. As well as being patient. I drove the Westy 3500 miles this summer on a 3.5 week trip with the family and let me tell you this was worth every penny. It was a pleasure to cruise the highway. The van did better on up hills with the CC unit then when I'm working the pedal. It's also nice to not have the "dead leg" after a 250 mile run. So that's about it I say for a plug and play unit I think it's worth every cent.

1984 Westy
2019 Jetta
2014 Passat
2019 Atlas
2006 Passat R.I.P.
1998 Jetta R.I.P.
1984 Vanagon R.I.P.
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Adjusting Cruise Reply with quote

There are two settings that you can change that will help remedy the annoyance you are having. Switch the gain to high and there is also a setting that is "4 cylinder medium" for how fact the cruise activates once you push the button. I found both of these settings made my GW Cruise to work more like the stock cruise (activates quick and holds at the specified speed without much wavering).
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got through installing this kit in a Customers 87 2.1 A/T Westy. I am using the dash mounted switch in GW's spec'd position with back illumination hooked up
I found the kit to be straight forward to install but I feel my Skill level is above average for these type of things. A couple of comments about my Install .
I think I will replace the Sheet metal screw in the shroud with a bolt ,as I feel that the screw will "Work" in time. There is just enough room to get in there behind the fan and put a bolt through the hole .
The Power hook up wire was a Sheathed male connector and should have been a Female instead. I changed it,just a GW over site.
The wiring from the inline connectors to the head need to be about 16"shorter as they are way too long.
On my next install I think I am going to find a power source nearer the head and therefore keep the fuses next to the controller.
The plastic pedal cover has not been re installed until I have it dialed in,at that point I am going to cut a "Flag "hole in the cover so that the cable will just slip through from the back therefore for making it easier remove and service if needed.
Think ahead when doing this job and get some LED dash bulbs and make your dash so you can see it. Those stock bulbs suck,plus 3 of the 4 were dead.
I am having some fine tuning issues the same as Ken and will follow his lead and hopefully it will cure the problem.
All in all a well thought out kit, with some GW mods to make it painless to install.
Think about GW has gone from a supplier to a manufacturer and has now become a Brand while doing it.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to find somebody willing/able to install my already purchased unit, here in Seattle area. Cash offered! Smile
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
I'd love to find somebody willing/able to install my already purchased unit, here in Seattle area. Cash offered! Smile

Try Peace Vans or North Westy - hey, you said you'd pay! Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: