Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

THE tool for pitman arm/drop arm removal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: THE tool for pitman arm/drop arm removal Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Available for rent at Auto Zone.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I didn't see that when I rented one last month. I did use this one, and it performed perfectly:

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-25262-Pitman-Arm-Puller/dp/B000CMHKR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Interesting, I didn't see that when I rented one last month. I did use this one, and it performed perfectly:

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-25262-Pitman-Arm-Puller/dp/B000CMHKR2

I bought one of those and bent it without budging the pitman arm. Returned it for credit and rented the other one and it did the job.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Out of curiosity- what is the chain thing for on the one you got?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tool just like the second one pictured. Bought it at NAPA.....made in Taiwan. It works percectly......but you MUST follow directions or yes....you will bend it.
This particular tool is not designed to separate taper and spline joints by generating force by turning the screw.....in fact all but the largest straight pullers are not designed to work by screw force.
As the directions note.....tighten the center screw very tight to induce load on the joint....and then strike the center screw sharply with a hammer (about a 3 lb sledge is about best combination of shock and not damaging the puller). Sometimes it takes a whack...and adding another half twist of the center screw....and one more whack......but this tool has never failed to separate any pitman arm it has been able to fit on.
You should pre-treat any very rusty joint....and maybe even heat lightly...300-400F is fine.

This puller works with force and shock....not force alone. I realize that cheap versions of this tool may not come with directions but the one from NAPA and Lisle tools do come with these specific instructions.....all fixed arm pitman arm pullers generally work this way

Not to be confusex with an adjsutable arm puller for removing straight shaft fit and straight spline fit parts like a steering wheel in keyed shaft gear etc. Those simply use screw force. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...by the way...how do you tell a puller that works by shock as compared to one that works by screw force?
You will notice that the one in the picture has no rotating foot or cup at the end of the screw. It has a sharp point in the center to hold it in tight contact so it wont slip. Thats a dead giveaway that its not designed to be operated by screw force.....but by shock force.
The shock force tool is really designed to seperate morse tapers and other friction fit tapered machine joints.
A tapered, splined pitman joint should be no problem for a tool like this.....if its properly used. Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the latter or similar with two hammers will work well.

Instead of hitting the center screw which transmits force into the ball bearings and gear inside the steering box, tighten the tool tight then hit the female portion (in this case the arm) with two hammers from opposing sides at the same time. This deforms the piece for just a small second, which allows it to pop free. Below is an example of the technique being used on a tie rod or drag link. It does less damage to the parts.

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Wow! Out of curiosity- what is the chain thing for on the one you got?

The chain attaches to a cap that will fit over the threaded end of the taper on the steering box. The cap is black and difficult to see in the photo.

Aloha
tp
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG and SG I did all that with all the tools and it never popped. I used penetrating oil, heat, a small hammer and a BFH. After the OG installation 46 years ago and some rust, it finally came loose with the rental tool a fraction of a millimeter at a time. I used a breaker bar with a 2 ft cheater and turned the nut 5* at a time and whacked it with the BFH in between turns. I could see a clean spot slowly appearing on the splines, but it still took brute force and BFW's to loosen it. I applied the force and let it sit overnight in hopes that it would pop, but it took three days to get it off. Without the rental tool, a cheater bar and a BFH it would still be on there.

Aloha
tp
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Oh...by the way...how do you tell a puller that works by shock as compared to one that works by screw force?
You will notice that the one in the picture has no rotating foot or cup at the end of the screw. It has a sharp point in the center to hold it in tight contact so it wont slip. Thats a dead giveaway that its not designed to be operated by screw force.....but by shock force.
The shock force tool is really designed to seperate morse tapers and other friction fit tapered machine joints.
A tapered, splined pitman joint should be no problem for a tool like this.....if its properly used. Ray

And the best suspension parts will have a small hole in the end of the bolt that the point on the tool will fit into and keep the tool from slipping off the bolt.

Aloha
tp
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
RG and SG I did all that with all the tools and it never popped. I used penetrating oil, heat, a small hammer and a BFH. After the OG installation 46 years ago and some rust, it finally came loose with the rental tool a fraction of a millimeter at a time. I used a breaker bar with a 2 ft cheater and turned the nut 5* at a time and whacked it with the BFH in between turns. I could see a clean spot slowly appearing on the splines, but it still took brute force and BFW's to loosen it. I applied the force and let it sit overnight in hopes that it would pop, but it took three days to get it off. Without the rental tool, a cheater bar and a BFH it would still be on there.

Aloha
tp

Yep...and then there are "those" joints. I have come across a few that bad. usually its because there was either rough splines or high moisture in the air when it was assembled. With tight fitting and/or tapered spline joints....the slightest amount of rusting together and ruin your day. Ray
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed out two steering boxes over the last few years. Both times I could never get the pitman arm off. I wound up slicing through the arm with my cutoff wheel and replacing it with another arm. After the last job several months ago I purchased this puller and hope it will do the trick for me next time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SMS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I've changed out two steering boxes over the last few years. Both times I could never get the pitman arm off. I wound up slicing through the arm with my cutoff wheel and replacing it with another arm. After the last job several months ago I purchased this puller and hope it will do the trick for me next time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SMS0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've always used one of these from the 1970's. Sounds like a gunshot when it comes loose sometimes but never an issue. Leave the nut on but way loose.

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

I've always used one of these from the 1970's. Sounds like a gunshot when it comes loose sometimes but never an issue. Leave the nut on but way loose.

That was the first tool I used, but the hooks kept slipping up, the arms spread and the hooks let go. The rental tool I used has bolts to keep the arms from spreading and the hooks stay in place.

Aloha
tp
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$60
http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C1cXpScjAU7...d%3Dsrese1

$90 most other places

Aloha
tp
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've always used...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Drop arm Pitman arm Puller Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=sear...arm+puller
http://www.otctools.com/products/conical-pitman-arm-puller-0

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7311A-Pitman-Arm-Puller/...=otc+7311A
http://www.otctools.com/products/pitman-arm-puller-1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: