Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connecting Stereo to the AUX battery....help!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vespagetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Connecting Stereo to the AUX battery....help! Reply with quote

OK, so the auxiliary battery installation went smoothly. Deep cycle gel Optima is under my seat and connected to the 400W inverter and charging via Hella relay switch, yey! Anyway, $200 bucks later, I'm still not able to listen to my stereo when the engine is off.

Any suggestions/tips of how to route/wire the stereo to the auxiliary battery? Thanks guys....
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,

I have my aftermarket radio directly wired to the main battery positive terminal. I installed a second rear window defrost switch in the blank space on the lower right corner of the instrument panel. I turn the radio on and off via that switch. It took me about 10 dead batteries Rolling Eyes before it became a habit. The Vanagons didn't come with an ACCESSORY wire for having things turn off when the engine is turned off if my memory serves me correctly. Oh, well....

Hey.....how long did it take you to wire up the secondary battery. I got a crazy quote from my local shop for $ 550.00 to add a second battery including two outlets (I guess that includes an inverter). The Hella kit is meant for Vanagons that had no previous wiring for a secondary battery, right ?

Dude.....
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red wire and sometimes new radios with memory and clocks have a yellow wire. hook both of them up to the + on the aux battery, then the black wire of the radio hook to the van body (ground) and that's it.
all you need is an extra battery, the relay kit and a few hours to hook up an aux battery, the hella kit is fine.
$550.00 is highway robbery, hooking up an aux battery is easy, justs takes a little time.
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here some links that may help..

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/images//tech/vw/vw.wiring.diagram.pdf

http://www.carstereo.com/help/radio_wires.cfm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ordering the Hella kit in about five minutes before I go to work. I figure it'll cost me about $ 175 total including the Optima battery. Anybody have a favorite Optima model ?
Vespagetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
The red wire and sometimes new radios with memory and clocks have a yellow wire. hook both of them up to the + on the aux battery, then the black wire of the radio hook to the van body (ground) and that's it.
all you need is an extra battery, the relay kit and a few hours to hook up an aux battery, the hella kit is fine.
$550.00 is highway robbery, hooking up an aux battery is easy, justs takes a little time.

Sounds good, I guess I just need to figure out how to route the wire. Any idea to what gauge wire to use? I was surprised to see all the thin wires supplied with Hella kit but who am I to argue... Smile
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House wiring that I often work with is 12 or 14 guage and is maybe 30 percent thicker but carries 110 volts ! ! ! You'll be fine with 16 or 18 guage. The smaller 18 will be easier to conceal under your carpets.

I can't wait for my Hella kit. By the way, where did you get your Optima battery from?
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Optima that is rated at the same cranking amps as the battery that is suposed to go in your Vanagon. That way you can start the van with the optima in an emergency. If you're not really worried about this then just get the one you like. Sears is a good place to get Optima batteries.
Vespagetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakness wrote:
I'm ordering the Hella kit in about five minutes before I go to work. I figure it'll cost me about $ 175 total including the Optima battery. Anybody have a favorite Optima model ?

Installing the battery is easy, I've been quoted $300 from a pro but $550! Holy crap. I routed the wires under the carpet edge, no drilling required, apart from one hole for earth connection. The instructions that come with Hella kit are simple and quite sufficient.

I bought a yellow top Optima (the red ones are not Deep Cycle). There is only one model that fits, don't remember the model number now, but I think it will be obvious when you see it. You'll have to mount it on it's side though, with side terminals facing up. I bought mine at Pep Boys - $160.
Vespagetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanJReed wrote:
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/images//tech/vw/vw.wiring.diagram.pdf

That's some good stuff, thanks Dan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: