Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Depot Door Handles
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Bus Depot Door Handles Reply with quote

I sent my front door, and side slider door handle off to be refinished.
It is taking longer than expected both because the factory handle has two pins that hold the lever in place, which had to be machined out and will be replaced after. Next, was that the handles are zinc diecast and its a bit of a process to get the chrome to lay nice.

In the interim, I need door handles. I've considered just grabbing a crap set to roll with until mine are done but even the crap sets I find online are $50-60.

Bus Depot has this set
http://www.busdepot.com/211898205n
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anyone know if I can swap out the lock cylinder on the Bus Depot Handles for my lock cylinder just so my keys all match?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a guy in like Milwaukee or something do mine, other lock smiths told me it couldn't be done.. The guy Can do anything. Let me grab his contact info for you. You can have the handles delivered to him for faster turnaround times too.

Justin Baughman
[email protected]

Literally, he is the best. He can re key just about anything... Super fast too.. He did all of my locks to match a new ignition tumbler
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I've met Justin before at Volksfest and Granny Grose Buses.
I'm kinda hoping I can just slide my original lock cylinders in and rock a repop handle for a bit. I've had gaping holes in my doors for weeks now, and I kinda loose all functionality of the slider without a way to open it from the outside.
Was trying to get something on the bus for this Thursday. :-/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sonofamitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the locks but I bought a bus depot handle for my bus as a cheap replacement. After about a week of use, it broke. Just a heads up.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=568454&highlight=
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh... Thanks for the warning!
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are different, both the handles and the lock cylinders too. I had the same issue and thought a few years ago. Could not make the lock cylinders work at all. when I tried to use the handles with the locks that came with them, I could not get them to seal snug against the door even with new gaskets.

Not worth it. Find OG

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine work a-ok!👌
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonofamitch wrote:
After about a week of use, it broke. Just a heads up.

x2

i could loan you a pair of handles if you like. let me know

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a pair of these on my '76. They're German (note GR in appendix) and identical side to side. Wolfsburg West also has them listed on their website (same part number), but were out of stock when I was looking to order. Had to hunt far and wide.

There's a single screw which holds the cylinder in place, but make sure you have your handle vertical so the tumblers don't fall out. I removed the cylinder to get all of the blue protective plastic off. They came keyed alike. I recommend lubing the spring and lever portion with a little while lithium grease and the tumblers with some liquid graphite or appropriate alternative.

That said, these new ones didn't seem too different from the cheapies I had before from Bus Depot, one of which broke within six months of install.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: