Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a five plus seater Vanagon Camper.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryrick, Yep, there is no right or wrong answer here. It's whatever works for your needs. The good news is that you WILL find something that fits your needs.... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Bryrick, Yep, there is no right or wrong answer here. It's whatever works for your needs. The good news is that you WILL find something that fits your needs.... Very Happy

^^X2!

We went with a full Westy, and have been happy with the setup. We are a family of 3, and while I occasionally wish for more seating (and will likely make a real effort at adding the additional seat rail and finding seats next summer), 95% of the time it suits our needs. Our daughter can have 1 friend ride safely with us.

Several reasons we like the Westy. Really like the organization of the cabinets. Removed the non-working fridge and now use a 45q Edgestar fridge that I remove when not in use. This saves weight and provides more space when removed. Use stove for coffee, tea or soup and do most cooking outside. On our last trip I made use of our on-board water facilities (had cleaned the tank, upgraded the faucet and replaced the pump) and it was SO convenient for wash water, coffee etc.

Have fun with your quest ~ the shopping is the easiest part! Please come back and show us what you decided on, too!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Every case is different, I don't know why people try to push their own decisions into others. Sometimes it is a bit tiring to listen to the same arguments about weekender vs westy over and over again coming from weekender owners trying to justify their choice by beating on the westy. This decision completely depends on your needs and camping style. In my case, I use the sink and stove a lot, two or three times daily while camping, and that is besides any outdoor grilling or cooking. And my 12v fridge gets used even more! And we are not an old couple. We are four, two of them are small kids. But I don't go around trying to convince people a westy is for them.

Ditto and Amen! Applause

Also, there's no need to rehash the Camper vs. Weekender debate, 'cuz it's been done ad nauseam:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138670
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490624
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512147

tam_shops wrote:
Curious what you do with all your stuff when you are camping, that you have space to open/use your stove/sink? It'd be a great place to brush teeth, but there is always this here and that there, so it becomes more work.

I'm happily single with no kids; I wanted a full camper because of its built-in amenities, so it works great for me. My parents often travel/camp with me, so that's three people at times. But we don't take so much crap that the floor can't be seen. What is on the floor and/or in the way gets moved outside, or up to the front seats and footwells.

I didn't buy a full camper just for the cabinets... it has a stove, sink, and fridge and I enjoy using every piece of that equipment. But just because the full camper works for me, doesn't mean it will work for everyone else and I don't go around negatively bashing Weekenders every time the subject comes up.

On a side note, if 40 is now considered old... dude. Crying or Very sad
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option that never seems to get mentioned for adding an extra seat is putting in a front bench. My 9 passenger '85 has a doka-style 3 seat bench with the divider wall behind to support it. Most of the time I just have a center console thing sitting there attached to the seat belt so it doesn't move. Then when I need the seat I just throw the console thing in the back or in the garage if I'm at home. You lose the walk-through capability but you don't clutter up your camping area with an extra seat/bench. I suppose if you wanted another seat you could put the jump seat in too and be up to a 6 passenger westy and still be able to use the cupboards.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: