Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Greetings all, FNG with new-to-family '64 Deluxe
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Greetings all, FNG with new-to-family '64 Deluxe Reply with quote

Hello all. A long time contributor to Jeep and muscle car forums, I've sold all of my toys and decided it was time for my wife to finally have her dream toy.

Normally I perform my own restos but I realized basket cases within reason and distance were increasingly hard to find, body shops (with VW experience) that wanted my business were same and watching from the garage as my young ones grew for the next 2+ years that it just wasn't in the cards at the moment. So I drove to CA while she was out of town and brought back a beautiful '64 Deluxe 13W to surprise her with, almost identical to what I wanted to build her. (hard to do for a guy that likes to say he built it, not bought it)

It's a great modified restoration but I'm borderline OCD so I've been working the last month making adjustments, finishing things not finished and fixing things not quite fixed and that's primarily a result of the great help and info contributed here.....and WW. I've turned wrenches my entire life, never on VW/air cooled stuff so the change is nice and it's been fun being a newbie again. Thanks all.

My project I started today was to use the Blaupunkt radio currently resting in the dash, not wired and create some form of audio entertainment. "Problem" is, I pulled it out to investigate/test and it works so I may be on the hunt for one that does not to gut. (don't have the heart to do this one) I reckon I may start a thread on that later....

Cheers all,
Fred
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Fred,

Welcome and please post photos of your 'new' deluxe bus.... Very Happy

You sold all your toys so that you could buy this bus for your wife!!! Are you going for 'Husband of the Year' award..... Very Happy Cool What a nice guy and what a lucky woman! Although, we might have to ask Everett to delete that sentance from your post, otherwise the rest of us will look really bad.
Very Happy Razz

Can't wait to see photos of your new acquisition. There are threads on bus radios, but also OG refurbished ones advertised in the Samba classifies from time to time and a company called Retro Sounds that does retro looking radios but with 'modern' electonics (usb, ipod connectivity, etc).
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey KombiM, thanks for the welcome! Truth be told, I didn't sell them all at once and not for the purpose of buying our bus. Shhhh, don't tell her.

I realized one day something always needed an oil change or was in storage sucking up funds, not getting used, etc. so I decided to purge over the course of a year +. When I found I had an empty garage and idle hands, I organized and made a nice garage for a change. Soon I realized I finally had a nice garage with which to work in and nothing to work on - again, idle hands.

With my wife lusting over busses (instead of me) I started my hunt and was blown away with where they are these days in value, but I got sucked in anyway. (I started looking at 21/23 windows Shocked ) I'm really enjoying the experience and am falling in love hard with it but ultimately it is HERS!

So she gets her dream and I get something to tinker with. Win win!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,

Beautiful bus!!!! Cool Cool Cool

You will fall in love with it, don't worry. They are fun to tinker with and driving them puts a massive smile on your face, people wave, point, smile....
And it's a vehicle the whole family can enjoy, unlike most of our 'man' toys. Besides, these days they're also a good investment.

I got back* into VW buses also after selling my fast street bikes, hang glider and other toys. I figured sooner or later I would get thrown in jail driving way too fast or come off and end up in hospital. I also used to go touring with mates on the bikes for days on end.... which was great but not family inclusive. Now, my wife, kids, dogs, surfboards, bikes all fit in the bus and enjoy the VW love.

*I owned 2 Bays, 1 lowlight, 1 Beetle and a type 3 station wagon during my younger years*
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kombi! You and me both on the toys thing. I had a lot of fun and have stories upon stories but really enjoy the time with my family more than all that.

When I brought it home, I called a buddy over to eyeball while I pulled it off of the trailer. Another one happened to stop by so we all took it for a spin around the hood. 3 grown men giggling like schoolgirls the entire way. Been like that ever since.....

I think I bought it at a fair enough price so that if she happened to lose interested in the years ahead, I could still make money on it. However, I had not counted on me actually enjoying it as much......

Cheers
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that your toes are wet, you'll be diving in all the way.

The wife? Smart girl.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebapuck wrote:
Now that your toes are wet, you'll be diving in all the way.

The wife? Smart girl.

Truer words never spoken.

Thanks Judy and Zugg
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking bus!

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!

I have your twin in my garage, minus the beautiful. Smile
Fredrok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPolak wrote:
Beautiful!

I have your twin in my garage, minus the beautiful. Smile

No,no,no. They're ALL beautiful just different stages of beauty! Thank you and thanks all.
Vintagespeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, that bus is SOOO nice. I love it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: