Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ONE OWNER means YOU bought the car when it was brand new!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
to me an owner of a car is whoever registered the car and/or currently has the title in his/her name and/or possession of the vehicle itself (as long as said possession is done by legal means...ie leins and what not). there are lots of scenarios where a car technically can have more owners then what is stated legally. the car question that started this thread has had 2 legal registered title holding owners, the dude that bought it off the lot and the dude who is sellng it now. the ad states in big bold letter in the header that it is a one owner car. the first sentance or two he states he is the second owner of the car. both cannont be true in this case. it seems as though the seller is using a sales tactic to catch a potential buyers eye by exageratting the facts. just the fact that he contradicts himself so blatently i would choose to not even consider contacting him if i were interested in the car. he has shown his character as being untrustworthy and who knows what else could be exagerated regarding the car. thanks, but no thanks, i'll walk on to the next car. the seller is loosing out on at least one potential interested party using his exagerating the facts in this case. sellers have an obligation in my mind to present the car as truthfully and honestly as they possibly can and this guy isnt doing that. it is reminesant to me of a sleezy used car salesman trying to unload a shitcan of a car for a premimuim price to unsuspecting parties. i dont care if this car in question is in excellent shape or not, dealing whith folks who do these type of tactics leave a bad taste in my mouth and are a scorn to our hobby. but this is all just my opnion.

EXACTLY!!!! I am glad at least one other person get this!!!!
ocdbeetle
Samba Optimist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad we got all that cleared up
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the only one who 'owns' my car, so that makes it a one owner car...right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I see your point but the bottom line is, so what if an idiot seller is using a sales tactic, its done all the time. The real question is what the product that he is selling is like and is it worth purchasing.
The sales tactic or number of stated owners has NOTHING to do with the quality of the product.
Yes, ones first thought is "what else is he lying about" but, buyer beware always holds true. Check it out, you should anyway, the product is a worn out 50 year old mechanical device that needs a close scrutiny.
This isn't a used 2003 on the lot that you are paying big bucks for. There is no Blue Book value nor do any of the traditional auto purchasing rules come into play here.
I would not turn down a car sight unseen because of a stupid sales tactic. It is a red flag to you to be careful and not trust this person and nothing more. I've gotten some of my best deals because of sales gimmicks and then exercising self control to not fall into the gimmick part of the pitch.

Once again, I don't care if I'm owner 2 or 22 if the car is worth purchasing.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pet peeve of mine too. To me, one owner means you bought it new. It doesn't matter if you bought it off the original owner and haven't re-registered the car in your name.

Some sellers don't understand and some sellers are intentionally misleading it to ask a higher price. If I am interested, I give them the benefit of the doubt.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
the ad states in big bold letter in the header that it is a one owner car. the first sentance or two he states he is the second owner of the car. both cannont be true in this case.

Well, that right there tells you to be wary of this seller.

But I see this as no different than a product being "New" & "Improved". Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it: one owner to mean you don't own it with anyone else !!!

Like with a "guaranteed used part": I swear it isn't new !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Campmobile Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread warrants a revival and should probably be a sticky.
I have seen a lot of classified ads lately advertising their vehicles as 1 owner when in fact they bought the car from the original owner and are now the SECOND owner.

"One Owner " means you are the original owner. You bought the car from the dealership brand new. If you sell this vehicle, the new owner will be receiving a 1 owner car.

If you bought the car from the original owner you are now the second owner and your ad should state " Two Owner" car. The car is one owner to you but you're not buying the car, I am and to me it's a 2 owner car.

I bring this up because people think they can ask more $ for a 1 owner car. The car maybe in mint condition but we know the difference between 1 owner and 2 owners. It may be an honest mistake on the sellers part so the purpose of this thread is to educate the uninformed.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people believe that "one owner" means that only one person drove it and not a husband, wife, 3 teenaged kids, and loaning it to your brothers, cousin, in-laws, employees, and friends.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is provenance- in the art world you need to trace ownership back to the artist, to make sure the piece is not some fake bit of crap. The shorter the chain of ownership may be better- but did the owner keep it to a certain standard of care?

The real discussion should be 'was the PO the steward of a car that was kept and maintained? OR was the PO some lying bit of trash?
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line is, just tell the truth, folks. Everything else is a lie. If you chose to lie, you are a liar. Simple as that. Live with it if that's you.
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the proper way to advertise these cars would be "purchased from original owner".
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matching Numbers, Restored, and One Owner. Most people using these terms in ads have NO idea what these terms really mean.

Just because the title says it’s a 1965 and the tag under the hood says 1965 doesn’t mean it’s a Matching Numbers car. And in most cases, even people who know what matching numbers means really have no way to check!

A can of spray paint and a couple gaskets don’t make a restoration.

And only having one name on the current title doesn’t make a One Owner car.

Just yesterday I saw an ad for a high dollar RV that said COMPLETELY RESTORED! But it had NO interior. Thats not a complete restoration in my book.

But lets face it, we are dealing with VW’s here, not million dollar Ferraris and Bugattis that will sit in a climate controlled building on display and never be driven. Only a very few people here are buying these cars to be anything close to museum pieces. So all this blabber about the car’s history and how many people owned it or who restored it, or even what the numbers are really makes very little difference.

If you like the car and what you see, buy it and enjoy it! The rest is really just hype in many cases.

Take your bug to a VW show and you probably need to stay pretty true to what it is or you will be called on it. But take it to the local Cruise In where all the Hot Rod Chevy and Ford guys hang out and you can impress them with the fact that your worn out 36 horse power engine is a Porsche engine!

When I’m cruising down the road with the windows open listening to the sound of that marvelous piece of German engineering whirring away behind me, I really don’t care about the numbers or who used to own it. I own it now and I’m gonna enjoy the hell out of it!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Some people believe that "one owner" means that only one person drove it and not a husband, wife, 3 teenaged kids, and loaning it to your brothers, cousin, in-laws, employees, and friends.

Yup, my pick up truck was a 1 owner truck, that had many drivers. It was a Tulsa County truck (former gov't vehicle).

I've got an ad running right now, that has the original owner called out, as well as the 2nd and 3rd owners (I'm the 4th owner). But, I know owners 2 and 3 didn't drive it either. Shocked I had to put a bunch of time and money into it, just so I could drive it. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"One owner" can mean that the title is in the name of only one person.

Like "guaranteed used parts" - I guarantee that the parts are NOT NEW !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Morganwerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
"One owner" can mean that the title is in the name of only one person.

Dang it! I knew I shouldn't have added my wife to the title! The Bug isn't worth as much now. d'oh!
origowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the term original owner - I am one. I have many papers to prove it.

Check the "Original Owners" AARP card. There are no 25 year olds who are original owners.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's annoying to see how many sellers on many classifieds sites abuse the "One owner" term. You can twist it any way you want, But if you personally didn't buy it new then you are not the first owner.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NavyGeneral Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: OneOwner Reply with quote

Interesting comments. One owner to me means one owner-I have owned my 1967 Beetle for its entire life outside of marketing through the dealership, nigh on to 48 years now. If I was going to sell it (NotInMyLifetime) I would want a few quid for the provenance and one ownership fact.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In very few cases do original owners have the foresight to keep all of the original paperwork that proves they are the original owner. I personally do not believe that the so called "One Owner" scenario adds a lot of value to a vehicle near as much as the condition. Those that know enough about these cars know what to look for a while evaluating a cars over-all condition. I'm sure we've all seen cars that have had several owners that have been take better care of than some genuine one owner cars have.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: