Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AN fittings for stainless fuel lines?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: AN fittings for stainless fuel lines? Reply with quote

I put German braided lines on my bus last year. Have had some leakage coming from the line to my BN4 for about two months now, so I bypassed it while I figure my next plan. Even had a convo on the issue with RandyInMaine at Litchfield this year.
I've been reading the fuel line threads for about 3 weeks trying to figure what is best. None of my other fuel lines feel wet, nor smell, or feel soft/weak.
Though a friend had once suggested we upgrade my bus to stainless lines with fittings as they would be virtually leakproof and maintenance free.
He's said it to me a few times, and I've always kinda pushed it off, but I'm curious what the Bay forum thinks of such an idea?
Is it worth the effort? Has anyone seen it done? Should I just go Gates?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did that. I have a type 1. Stainless steel line from fuel filter under the tank, then it went trough the front tin, under the left intake manifold, 90* by the heat riser, and it ended by the pump with a 2" rubber line. Sound cool right. Well, not according to my engine builder. Because after I drove the bus for 15-20 min and turned off the engine, it will not start again for at least 15-20 min. So I called my builder and told him my issue. And he asked right away to check my hard line. Why? I told him I have like 2-3 ft of stainless steel. Check for what? VAPOR LOCK. And I knew right away that it's possible because the line was hot (it was in the 90s here). So I yanked it out and bought Gates FI hose. Now, I only drove the bus one time around the block but it seems the problem was gone, and I think that was really the issue. So if you're gonna do the hard line, make sure to route it as far as possible to any heat source. Goodluck. Cool
1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have been ok by just slitting rubber hose and sliding it over the stainless to act as an insulator.

I'll take pictures of mine after work but I'm using nylon. This covers all but the las 2" next to the tank that is used as a coupler.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is some pretty good stuff. Shop around. I think you can get it cheap from Amazon if I recall

http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/passenger...n-hose-mpi
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I switched to. It's a work in progress before I hit the road with this and I'm weeding down the amount of hose used.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are a multitude of adaptors available and this stuff is made for e-85 at way higher pressures than our busses can handle. Both of those points make it better than any rubber based product.

The very worst I can do is adapt back to steel with a 2" rubber hose used as a coupler at the fuel tank. Until there's a way to eliminate questionable quality hose, the best solution would be to limit its use in the fuel system.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chazz, can you tell us what "this stuff" is? You have a shaky picture of a rubber line in one picture, a hard line in another picture, and no real details.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first picture to the left is a hard plastic nylon line. It looks like a battery cable. On the right side of the pump is rubber line that I will be switching over to more nylon.

That same upper pic shows the fittings required to connect to the fuel pump. These are tooless snap fittings. You press the colored part of the coupler and it comes off the pump. The line then stays attached to the engine for drop outs. The nylon is very flexible, crush resistant and chaffe proof. The second picture shows the tools needed to work with this. Really small crush clamp pliers and a heat gun are about it. The plastic fitting is just a close up of what you'll be putting into the end of the nylon line. That steel line is what I'll be clamping onto the very end of my nylon to join to my fuel tank.

Ultimately I will be down to 2-2" couplers used to attach my nylon to the fuel tank nipples. Everything past that will be this nylon/nitrile flex fuel compatible line set that oems have been using since the late 90's.

I'm finishing up my swap I'll be completing the fuel system this weekend so better pics will be around sooner or later.

Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the best person to keep up routine maintenance, so 2" of rubber line might as well be 2'. I want to eliminate all potential for fuel leaks in my setup. I don't mind spending the money for stainless braid, but if the new gates hose is proven long term, I'd rather avoid the cost and hassle of stainless braided.
Skyline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stainless braid over rubber is a five year replacement item. Read up on some of the hot rod site. All fuel systems will require maintaining.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: fuel line replacement Reply with quote

I agree with Skyline but I am going a bit farther and will use (PTFE)
Teflon ultra flex which is covered with Kevlar it's being used more and more
since ethanol will not degrade it. to me it's a couple steps above the
submersible fuel hose used on In the tank fuel pumps now.

I too am becoming paranoid about fires since I hear at least once a week of
a car on fire somewhere in the bay area. All these fires are not on just old
vehicles either.

It's also a fact that even in F.I. systems with high volume recirculation that
the return line to tank from the engine will aerate the hot fuel causing the hose to break down from the inside.

We can't even be sure how much ethanol is really being blending here and in
other states. Evil or Very Mad
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I plan on Teflon with stainless or Kevlar wrap.
surfbum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I use aluminium tubing for all but the AN6 hose from the regulator to the Yconnector for the carbs. Cost a little but so does a engine fire...

Here are some pics...

Cheers
//Daniel Thelin - Sweden

Want to see my bus? The link is below...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the teflon kevlar is not really being used much. Maybe a few people in aftermarket yes......but it has 0 advantage over modern nylon alloy lines....which virtually all passenger cars have gone to since about 2000. And for good reason.

1. This is not crappy old school nylon like you found on CIS injection in BMW and Saab that gets brittle with age. These are nylon 12 alloys with special mfg processes
There are several primary formulas used by various auto mfrs with subtley different characteristics.....all of which are perfect for alcohol blend fuels up to e85. Some have better abrasion characteristics, some have slightly better heat characteristics.. etc.

2. The pressure rating far exceeds any rubber based line.

3. The nylon lines are far cheaper than steel or rubber In any category.

I decided about 2 years ago to go all nylon in my current build. However there are some rules to using nylon lines....and where to use them and not to use them. You can learn these rules strictly through observation. Go look under the hoods and chassis of about 10 new cars....a range of brands....any brands. What you will find:

1. When connecting to high movement parts .......engine to fuel loop, chassis line to external fuel pump....or in general fom nylon main to anything not rigidly bolted down....manufacturers use short length high pressure rubber hose with swaged ferrule ends on barbs or clamps on barbs.

2. Through areas of high vibration and very detailed conforming curves like following the fire wall behind engine....they use cnc machine bent galvanized or stainless steel with barbs or clamps. AN fittings are cool but 100% unnecessary for anything less than direct injection and diesel pressures or racing classes that require them.

3. Semi- rigid nylon everywhere else for long runs using either specialty push-lok with o-rings for high frequency replacement items like fuel filter....and soft edge barbs for joining....some clamped...some specialty crimped or force fit connectors.

Also....stainless steel or steel lines in general do NOT cause vapor lock. Poor routing of any material type of any fuel lines causes vapor lock. Metal lines do conduct heat faster...but they also shed heat faster. The point is if you get vapor lock with ANY type of line....its routed poorly. If its going through a hot area...sooner or later any line material will get hot enough to cause vapor lock. It does not have to be 180-200F. Remember tha5 fuel evaporates xown to about -40F. About 125-140F at low pressure in a carbed engine will causes fuel evaporation bubbles. Look at your routing and contact points long before you worry about line material.

Also...DO NOT use LDPE or HDPE anywhere in your fuel system. There is no polyethylene alloy on this planet that has a temp range anywhere near what you need to have in a vehicle for fuel use. When they get north of about 165F they get brittle and lose a good bit of their chemical resistance. Polyethylene can handle the chemistry of fuel....but not combined with temperature....either extreme hot or cold.

In before you suggest it....as I know someone will....NO.....plastic fuel filter housings are NOT made of polyethylene. They are made of polypropylene. Different animal. Some are even nylon alloys....more all the time.

A great place to get nylon fuel tubing by the roll....many kinds....is Summitt racing and several other muscle car hot rod sites. I think Jegs sells some as well.

Do your research on joining tubing. Lots of info and tools out there including a tool that is basically a modified caulking gun that holds the fitting in one end and the line jn the other and with ratchet force...joins them on a barb. Double ended barb fittings ....brass or stainless with mild heat and a plier tool is awesome and leak proof to about 300 psi.

Nylon fuel tube is the best long term answer to fuel proof tubing I have seen in eons.....and its very cheap....about half of what Gates barricade runs or less. Ray

EDIT: I forgot to add that the best fuel line I found for my 412's gas furnace...or any gas furnace for that matter is either metric or 3/16" steel line connected at the metering pump with a rubber fuel line nipple and a plain old brass or steel compression union. I had to polish the end of the ljne both on tbe heater inlet and the fuel line to get a percect fit in the ferrule. But it has been leak free for over 20 years. No, special AN fittings neexed and you xan take it loose anytime.. it runs virtually 0 psi.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Nylon lines Reply with quote

Interesting Ray

Do you have any pic's to share ?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just starting mine this month. Fuel tank is still out right now with epoxy curing. But as I start practicing joins and bends I will be photographing the whole process. Also I will post some links in the next day to this thread of the videos and sites online.

Along the same lines of thought....but goes in a different thread....so this is a teaser Very Happy
I changed the duel filter on my 2012 golf today. And.... it is the same that many VAG cars use....and may be quite a good answer for a high pressure fuel filter AND primary fuel prezzure regulator in one.

The way it works is that all non turbo VW and audi use an inlet pressure to the inject9r rails ring....that is higher pressure than required ....4 bars...and the regulator and return line for that is in the filter....so it makes for super stable fuel pressure. There is an end of the rail standard return fuel pressure regulator that drops the pressure to standard injector level.

What this does is keep the pump pulsations about 8 feet away from the fuel rail. I tested running pressure.....and its .25 psi stable Shocked .....awesome! (yes I have a very good gauge). These filters ...Mann brand...are about $23...and VW swears they are 50k miles filters....and after sectioning my old one today....I believe it. They have about 7X The filter area of yhe stock type 4 filter. I will start a new thread this week with pictures and a how to plumb diagram.....oh...and they were connected with nylon tubes. Ray
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read Ray, and glad you're back. Hadn't seen you around for a bit.

I'm VERY interested in these photos as you do yours.

I'm at the point where I need lines again and while I don't expect anything to be maintenance free, I'm a bit disappointed at the life of my original style braided lines.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nerdhotrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced all the lines in my bus and the whole time I was thinking... Why am I not doing nylon :/.

I have this kit - www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-300-Quick-Disconnect-Repair/dp/B000XQ5IO4 and 3/8th line is only about 90 cents a foot. I bet you could do the whole job with a modern filter for less then 200 bucks and never have to worry about it again.

I'm 100% using nylon on my vtec mini project that's going together right now.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerdhotrod wrote:
I just replaced all the lines in my bus and the whole time I was thinking... Why am I not doing nylon :/.

I have this kit - www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-300-Quick-Disconnect-Repair/dp/B000XQ5IO4 and 3/8th line is only about 90 cents a foot. I bet you could do the whole job with a modern filter for less then 200 bucks and never have to worry about it again.

I'm 100% using nylon on my vtec mini project that's going together right now.

Yep...Dorman is one of the biggies in the nylon tube field. That kit is also mentioned in a lot of other forums and is available from alot of places.

Some things to note about nylon that make it worthwhile. I am working on these this month.

You can heat bend it. Just do not overheat it to the point where it smokes or starts to bubble or you have just changed its properties. The way to do this....is with a decent variable heat/adjustable heat gun, an IR temperature gun....and some nice guides made of cheap 1/8"rods and sheet metal and squeeze clamps........and a couple of pounds of Morton table salt.... Very Happy

As cheap as it is...just buy an extra 10 feet to experiment with.

Use soft coat hanger wire to model where you want the bends to be on each segment. I will be keeping through chassis runs either steel or single piece nylon...but as the tubes exit the chassis I will use separate segments to each component.

So once you have a shape you want in hanger wire.....you take 1/8" rod from Home depot and shape to match the coat hanger wire. make the curves smooth. If the curve cannot be made a nice radius....then you need a corner fitting....so use this process to make those decisions.

Fill the tube segment completely with table salt (which melts at 1,474F). Use hefty zip ties to conform the tube to the 1/8" rod.

Then heat carefully to about 225-505F...pull the heat on and off....you want to heat this through but you don't want the nylon to flow. DO NOT use open flame. As the plasticizers start to flow in the surface...it releases some....but that's mild. An open flame will carburize those plasticizers, make it worse by releasing more...and em-brittle the surface. ou can tell when you have done this as the surface gets bumpy and irregular or you see bubbling.
Just work it slow. Start from the rod side to get the rod heated up so the whole thing heats evenly

Its worthwhile to keep double ziplock bags around filled with ice to do quick cool downs to freeze the shape. Then when you are done....empty out the salt and then rinse with hot water too make sure there is no salt...then dry with compressed air.

After changing my golfs fuel filter (it has 50K miles with no leaks) and uses these style of factory fittings with nylon lines.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-092

It was so dirt simple that if I can get a modern fuel filter for my 412 with nylon lines.....I would connect these....and hoke them to the nylon mains with a short length of nylon and a double ended 5/16" brass barb. The reason for using double ended stainless, aluminum or brass barbs for joining segments is that if you have a break or a bad fitting or a bad fitting o-ring on the road.....you can simply cut the bad section of line or fitting out and replace it at the barb. You may not be able too shape the tube in the field...but you can get home with no issues.

Here is a kit with a double ended barb union and a 90* connector...but you can get just the barbs or connectors separate and in other brands

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-051

Here are single ripple 10mm nylon line...yes you can get metric nylon!.... connector barbs. These allow joining nylon without tools....but you must use clamps. the single ripple....note the picture....keeps clamped line from coming off. These fittings are designed to connect from either metric or standard nylon to metric or standard threaded line or components...like late model Euro fuel pumps for CIS or fuel filters with threaded inlets

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-078

If you are really lazy...you could plumb your whole system with a handful of these....12" line sections with double ended barbs already installed at each end. These are designed to be repair sections. Cap each end and throw a couple in the spare parts box.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-181

Here is one of the master fitting kits. Not really what you need if you have a bunch of stuff left over. Summit has about 2000 items in the nylon fuel fitting category that you can buy by the piece for cheap as you need it and plan a system.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/urr-kp1200

Banjo bolt to nylon connectors if you need them male and female

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/urr-k330 male
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/urr-k325 female

Even push-lock to nylon adapters

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/urr-k315

25 foot of nylon fuel line for about $27

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-071 5/16"
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-800-075 3/8"

Wurth sells metric nylon fuel tubing as well
http://www.wurthusa.com/web/en/website/produkte_1/service___repair/specialty_hose/specialty_hose.php

Belmetric also sells nylon fuel hoses and fittings. They are listed under Polyamide fuel lnes (Polyamide is nylon)
https://www.belmetric.com/metric-hoses-c-14.html

They have an awesome selection of metric fuel tubing....German made metric...which means its whats going in VAG vehicles. I have read that the Germans select theirs to have slightly better abrasion resistance formulas. You can also get small bore nylon so you could do your gas tank vent lines...imagine never having to worry about those again in this lifetime Wink

https://www.belmetric.com/metric-hoses-polyamide-hard-plastic-hose-c-14_184.html

Straight barb fittings

https://www.belmetric.com/metric-hoses-straight-barb-fittings-c-14_935.html

Tee barbed fittings

https://www.belmetric.com/metric-hoses-tee-barb-fittings-c-14_936.html

Jeg's also has a good selection of nylon tubing and parts.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Dorman-Products/Dorman-Nylon-Fuel-Line-Tubing/1667167/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Nylon-Fuel-Injection-Hose/2344009/10002/-1

Here is the video of the cool tool used for barbed fittings. I think I can make a version of this no problem. The cost is mainly for the die sets that hold the different factory fittings...most of which I would not need, I'm just connecting barbs mainly. I priced it back in January. Many dealers of this tool do not like to sell to public, They were proud of the tool. Cant remember the price but it was at least $150.

You dont need it if you use the single ripple barbs and clamps system which is relatively new and being used by most garages for expert repairs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbZ3y7yjc9g

More to come! Ray
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, what is your suggestion for connecting the nylon lines to the fuel tank? I have an EFI tank with the non-removable nipples on it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the nipples straight or do they have the single flare/bulge at the end? If they are straight like mine.....no bulge.....what I am planning to do is one of two things both of which I know will work:

1. get an adjustable die....no matter if its metric or standard. If the die will fit between the tubes.....you can lightly...about 1/3-1/4 actual thread depth. ..thread the outside of each tube. This is effectively knurling the tube. Read it in another forum somewhere. As long as the tube is a snug fit...then clamp it. No problem.

2. The other one that I am actually leaning toward is a steel high pressure union. Just like a brass low pressure union....it has a ferrule in the inside that slips over the tube and then it distorts and seal permanently. I used these on my 412 hydraulic clutch line coupling in the rear. They are good to about 1500 psi....so they will be fine for this.

On the outer end...just discard the nut and ferrule and connect to a female/barb fitting. Threads on with gas tape just to be sure of no leaks...and has the barb on the outer end for the nylon . You can also buy these type of fittings with a "ball seat" on the inside of the female/barb....so it seats in the pressure fitting just like the pressure union ferrule woild have.
With this fitting you can simply unbolt the lines from the tank when you need to without ever disturbing the pressure fitting.

I have also thought....if I had room....it would be cool to install a small ball valve on the feex and return right outside the tank so I can isolate the tank for fuel system work.

Edit: I just realized.....hilariously....that an AN steel or SS tubing pressure union is what I just described. Laughing .....they dont have to be AN....but one would be perfect for the gas tank stubs....leaving a male thread on the outside to connect to a female barb fitting.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: