Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cab Grab Handle option
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Cab Grab Handle option Reply with quote

Hi. My wife is complaining every time she hop in our 71 Riviera. She wants to have a handle to grab on to. I'm talking about handles by the C channel of the bay window. I will admit that i need one also (not getting any younger Confused). I searched before and I know VW didn't make one. So I made a set for my 70 DC which I love (photos below). That is made of stainless steel. I'll polish it when it's time for restoration. Problem was, I had to drill holes. Metal screws. Now, I tried to avoid drilling holes in our 71, so I want to find out if there's a better option.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the idea of drilling anywhere near the windshield channel, I like to keep moisture and rust OUT of areas like that. If I had to drill, I would make sure to spray rust catalyzing primer down the holes, then paint any exposed metal. But even then, that's a thin piece of metal to support a human... I wonder if repeated use could cause warpage in the window/door openings and cause leaks/rust/cracked glass either?

Sorry for sounding like a downer, but when I have a whiny passenger, I just parked so they could open the door all the way, and use the step and dash handle at the same time. The steps are almost useless if the door isn't open all the way, no matter early or late style.

Let us know how your handles hold up over time and use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canes5time
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Maybe a little smaller though.
I seem to always grab the steering wheel when I've gotten in my Bus over the years. I know that can't be good over time, but it works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a handle for the passenger,

But on my side of the bus, I just grab the whole windshield channel when i pull myself into the smoothest ride on pavement.

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I don't like the idea of drilling anywhere near the windshield channel, I like to keep moisture and rust OUT of areas like that.

I wouldn't worry about that very much, other than the obvious of not drilling all the way through. The a-pillar is hollow and open at the top & bottom, drilling a couple of screw holes isn't going to make it any more likely to rust than it already is as long as you paint the fresh holes -- and for a spot treatment like that, even nail polish will do a perfectly adequate job.

I'd be a bit concerned about the installation being (apparently) sheetmetal screws straight into the hole, and would be happier to see nut-serts with a machine screw. Not for strength, but because in my experience sheetmetal screws in a stressed usage like that tend to loosen over time and eventually pull out...
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I don't like the idea of drilling anywhere near the windshield channel, I like to keep moisture and rust OUT of areas like that. If I had to drill, I would make sure to spray rust catalyzing primer down the holes, then paint any exposed metal. But even then, that's a thin piece of metal to support a human... I wonder if repeated use could cause warpage in the window/door openings and cause leaks/rust/cracked glass either?

Sorry for sounding like a downer, but when I have a whiny passenger, I just parked so they could open the door all the way, and use the step and dash handle at the same time. The steps are almost useless if the door isn't open all the way, no matter early or late style.

Let us know how your handles hold up over time and use?

I agree with you for not drilling holes. That's why I cringe every time I drill holes anywhere in any of my vehicle. But remember this is inside the cab and will not be expose to weather.

You'll be amaze how that "thin piece of metal" can support you. Those handle on the photos are over a year old now and I don't see any movement on that metal. Unless you're 500 lbs then maybe you'll see it flex. But bent, you'll need a lot of force. I'll give you an example, get a piece of paper. That piece of paper will not support anything, but make a roll out of it and it can support like a small pocket book. You get it, right?

The step is still too high for my wife. Hell, it's even too high for me (I'm 5'10") so I don't use it. Evil or Very Mad

I'm just trying to avoid drilling but if there's no other option, I have no problem drilling it. I'll do the same set (maybe bigger) for my 71.
1969 Buggy
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:

I'd be a bit concerned about the installation being (apparently) sheetmetal screws straight into the hole, and would be happier to see nut-serts with a machine screw. Not for strength, but because in my experience sheetmetal screws in a stressed usage like that tend to loosen over time and eventually pull out...

The way the handle was installed is perpendicular to the metal when you're pulling the handle. It's like drive a screw in a wall, put a string and pull it perpendicular to the wall, not 90 degree pull.

But I agree with you. Nut-sert or a welded nut is a better way to do it. So since I like it so much, this will be one of the upgrade when it's time for my 70 DC to be restored. I'll weld a nut (M8 maybe?) on those pillar. Thanks.
1969 Buggy
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are VW made handles for this function out there. They are usually mouted on the B pillar of some of the later model campers. They are similar to the passenger grab handles in a 7 -9 passenger bus. They have different geometry than the straight ones. They work good for that function. Just FYI.
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ned wrote:
There are VW made handles for this function out there. They are usually mouted on the B pillar of some of the later model campers. They are similar to the passenger grab handles in a 7 -9 passenger bus. They have different geometry than the straight ones. They work good for that function. Just FYI.
Do you happen to have a photo of it installed? How did VW installed it on the B pillar?
1969 Buggy
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the Vanagon forums
there are several writeups on installation
the pax side one is OG and hackers have installed them on the driver's side
they may or may not need wedges
perhaps gowesty sells the handle for Vanagons

Aloha
tp
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ivory, I don`t post pics here. Its too much of a hassle. If you want PM. I will send it email or face book.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: