Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for VDO CHT 12mm sending unit?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason I absolutely can not stand the 12mm spark plug. The 14mm plugs work fine in my Bugpack street eliminator heads on my race car and also the Steve Tims stage II heads on my street Dunebuggy.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sloboatnova wrote:
Ray, you are an asshole, but thats ok. Many of us are.

The guy is an idiot because he told me what I had already told him as if I didn't know that it had been discontinued.

In response to your windy useless answer, I say it would not be difficult to run 50 or so of these at the same time they run the 14mm sending units. An automated machine would only require a slight setup change to finish the run with the smaller terminal. All of the other processes would be unaffected by the terminal change. Plus, it's highly unlikely they punch/form/plate their own terminals as most electronic companies choose to purchase these types of commodities from companies that specialize in them.

Esde, thanks for the links. I'd imagine something there will work. I'll check my existing 14mm sendor wires against that chart.

In the case of the response.....and thank you for the added detail...sure he is an idiot. I stand corrected.

And yes....you are right...VDO manufactures few if any of their own terminals.

That being said....simple change?....as if you have any idea how their die is laid out or whether it has interchangeable center punches. Simple to knock out 50?....not a crimp connector mfg on the planet would do that....because the cost would be in the hundreds per terminal if not more.
You act as if these companies are a job shop. I have been through this with AMP...before and after they became part of Tyco, del city wire and a half dozen others.

You also assume that the actual maker of these terminals.....actually owns the rights to use the tooling. If the tooling is owned by either VDO or another mfg...and VDO or that other mfg says the part is obsolete.....then its lawsuit time if said connector mfg decides to crank out your 50 parts.
Been there. I work in the electronics industry.

Same goes for obsolete terminals that exist and are in stock...but are license built for a company. It was the same issue with obsolete Bosch EFI terminals at Tyco/amp.....they had over 10,000 in stock and had not made a harness with them in 30 years. No sale. They had to wait another decade until Bosch declared them surplus.

Yeah I'm a long winded asshole....but the sad part is that you learned nothing from it. Just becuse you think the part "should" be simple to make....does not mean it is. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sloboatnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, your windy'r than a sack of farts. lol You even sucked others into your "what if" logic.

Anyway's I now have some leads on alternatives, but thanks for your input. baaaaahahaha

3BT Baja build page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417564&highlight=3bt+baja
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensor Connection sells nice 12mm ring TCs. Mario at thedubshop.net has them in stock!

You can also remove the crimp terminal from the 14mm VDO and crimp a 12mm on.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the falcon sender:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it is a type J thermocouple, and seems to operate the VDO gauge the same as the VDO sender. Falcon gauge also has extension wires for 1 sender, or 4 wire extensions if you're using their 2 channel gauge and two senders.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: