Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dasdachshund, you wouldn't believe our village of less than 4000 people has 7 golf courses, AND a children's golf course, within 2 miles! It was mad during the Open last year, and we've just heard Gulland golf club is hosting the Scottish Open in 2015. You should visit Scotland, but I'm sure you know, the weather is liable to be pretty unpredictable at any time of year! I'll keep my eyes open for a Scotland sticker, I'll PM you if I get one, I can slip it in the post.
Shona and I had a talk about the trip over the weekend, and I think we're going to go for it, the Kombi seems as good as she's going to get, and life is for living. One concern is that is does mean a lot more hours in a vehicle, compared to going in the car at Autobahn speeds, but I think we can do it in four days of less than 300miles per day.
Just have to confirm Insurance cover, breakdown recovery cover, extend the annual mileage on the insurance, ask the ferry company if we can take the longer vehicle, and probably book the first couple of campsites, Europe is busy at this time of year! How does Luxembourg and the Romantic Road in Bavaria sound for the first two stops after the ferry?

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried out a great accessory for the kombi at the weekend, it'll be great for the trip! Espressgo travel espresso maker, takes the same Lavazza capsues that the machine at home does, plugs into the leisure battery supplied 12v outlet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fill with water, plug into the outlet...

It pressurises and heats (probably using huge amounts of juice!) Once its ready, it peeps and you turn it upsidedown and go!!

Pretty good espresso, the coffeemate is for the milk lover!

Big Papi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Timbers! Very Happy Very Happy
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, big decision made here! We had a long chat at the weekend about whether to go for it and take the Kombi on the trip. My concern was to make sure it was mechanically ready, and Shona was worried that it would add an awful lot of driving hours, compared with an 85mph shoot down in the modern car. I think we're both psychologically scarred from 10 long days driving in the Karmann Ghia, which is definitely not designed for long distance comfort!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7258965&highlight=#7258965
We've got a plan for four days driving after arriving on the ferry near Amsterdam. No day is more than 300 miles, and the Kombi is a pretty comfy driving position (especially with the sheepskin seat covers!) so we decided to give the trip the green light! Might need to change the title of the thread?
I've rung the insurers to increase the Annual mileage we're allowed, and negotiated international breakdown recovery, in case there's a major mechanical, and we need to let the ferry know we're taking a bigger vehicle. There's some question over whether they charge extra for a camper, but we might book it as a car and see how we go.

Also I took it back to the garage yesterday, to have the wheels re-powder coated, and while its in I thought they should fix the broken left side cooling flap that the engine expert had diagnosed. I knew the engine would need to be dropped, but I thought it was worth it for the long hard journey ahead. I'd scored a rusty replacement set on fleabay to use as spare parts and I asked them to do some other maintenance jobs to make the engine drop worthwhile. Torque convertor seals x2, oil cooler seals, pushrods tubes and seals, paint the battery tray etc.
long story short... The cooling flap was fine and working! It doesn't make a sound moving up and down but all seems to be there, embarrassing but I feel a lot happier. Just waiting for a new thermostat from Awsomepowdercoat to finish the job. Shame about the garage bill, I couldn't see any way to check the flaps without dropping the engine!

rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

quite a lot of excitement for such a "small" trip inside civilized Europe Wink
I wish you a good trip and nice adventures... enjoy the ride

If you need help, take a look to these websites: http://aircooledrescue.com/ or http://www.airmapp.com/

regards, fond of traveling with Kamann-Ghia and T2

http://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/index.php?de-travel-2012 - Austria, Poland, Italy, France (& Korsika), Spain, Marokko - hopefully next year Turkey & Iran
http://www.vw-karmann-ghia.de/badura/index.php?de-travels - Austria, Switzerland, Italy (& Elba), France, Spain (& Mallorca)
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rsbadura"]Hi,

quite a lot of excitement for such a "small" trip inside civilized Europe Wink
I wish you a good trip and nice adventures... enjoy the ride

If you need help, take a look to these websites: http://aircooledrescue.com/ or http://www.airmapp.com/

Hi Rolf-Stephan,
Between you and me, I know it's a lot of fuss about nothing very much, but I know there's enough people on the Samba who'll read a rambling thread about the trip, and we all know the anticipation is half the fun Wink
Thanks for the links, I've noted them, and hopefully won't have need to use them.
I'm envious of your trips and plans, we've done a few longer trips, and we tried to get unpaid leave from work to do a 'proper' circular European tour; Scandinavia, Baltic States, (Berlin, of course! I used to live there 1978- 81, so fond memories!), Eastern Europe, Greece, Italy, France,Spain, but work eventually said we couldn't go. One day!
I love your orange Karmann Ghia/ Bay window combination, different colours to ours, but quite a coincidence!
Phil

I went to see the Kombi today during its unnecessary engine drop, all looks good, and there's a few exhaust gaskets, grommets and seals that can usefully be done while its out, as well as proper soldered repairs of some inaccessible wiring splices and a clean up of the oil cooler and Engine fins. I've decided against the pushrods tubes and seals as they look fine, and I guess the piston rings or cylinders will need to be done sooner or later anyway. Nothing serious though, and hopefully we'll be back on the road after the weekend.

MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a few road trips under our belt by now and I wouldn't worry about the trip you planned at all. Like rsbadura mentioned, you're in Europe, help is always at hand in case anything would happen. These busses are fine long distance cruisers, only downside is that they can be a bit slow. Maybe want to leave the highways every now and then and do some sightseeing. Make your trip part of the destination. Just make sure you're bus is in good condition, so you'll be telling stories about the trip instead of about the bus when you come back Wink

Have a good trip!
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadMax78 wrote:
We've got a few road trips under our belt by now and I wouldn't worry about the trip you planned at all. Like rsbadura mentioned, you're in Europe, help is always at hand in case anything would happen. These busses are fine long distance cruisers, only downside is that they can be a bit slow. Maybe want to leave the highways every now and then and do some sightseeing. Make your trip part of the destination. Just make sure you're bus is in good condition, so you'll be telling stories about the trip instead of about the bus when you come back Wink

Have a good trip!

Thanks MadMax. You're right, of course! I am actually pretty relaxed about it, but I'll feel happier when it's all back in one piece and I can take it for a decent run. We've got the documentation sorted now for travelling abroad, I'm excited about the trip and should be able to get up plenty of great photos. I love it when we arrive in the Netherlands, THAT'S when the holiday starts!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on the powdercoating of the wheels. They did them again, but there's still the problem of bits of media stuck in the crease. They have said they can reblast them and give them back to me to sort out, or to redo them with a line of sealant in the crease to smooth out the angle. Neither is really great, but I'm going for the second option, so at least they will be done for when we go away!

When we get back though, I've got my eye on these!
http://www.ravus.de/
http://www.ravus.de/Produkte_cat_66.html

So, apart from the wheels we're just waiting for torque convertor seals to arrive. Then I get the Kombi back! Yay!

Sven F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we were planning on going in the opposite direction, to Scotland, though we probably won't make it that far this year, just to Holland and France, still we might cross paths.

I am home till August 15th, if you happen to have any mechanical trouble around croatia's capital, or in Croatia in general for that matter, my number is (00 385 91 8988818) and i'll at the least try to find someone close to you.

I'm sure you'll be fine though.
As I keep saying, you have to be a certain type of masohist to drive old cars on long trips, you have to like the suspense. we are the weirdos and perverts of travel. Very Happy
After all it wouldn't be called an adventure if it didn't involve any risks. Wink
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sven F wrote:
And we were planning on going in the opposite direction, to Scotland, though we probably won't make it that far this year, just to Holland and France, still we might cross paths.

I am home till August 15th, if you happen to have any mechanical trouble around croatia's capital, or in Croatia in general for that matter, my number is (00 385 91 8988818) and i'll at the least try to find someone close to you.

I'm sure you'll be fine though.
As I keep saying, you have to be a certain type of masohist to drive old cars on long trips, you have to like the suspense. we are the weirdos and perverts of travel. Very Happy
After all it wouldn't be called an adventure if it didn't involve any risks. Wink

Dobar dan, Sven, kako si? (although I suspect you're not Croatian Wink )
Thanks for the contact number, hope I won't need it. We're leaving home on the 15th too, so we might well cross paths, I'll flash my lights at every ACVW I see (as always!) We're heading to Ičići, near Opatija, can't wait!

I went in to see the Kombi in the garage today, the torque convertor seals finally arrived. The mechanic looked suspicious when I said to piggyback two seals in, but he'll give it a go. He's actually done some great Jobs while the engines been out, including tidying up frayed wiring, replacing bent and worn studs and sorting missing engine tin screws.
Question: the side tin pieces have a square cut-out at the top edge, they are secured with a bigger bolt and washer, but the rearmost bolt hole on the right tin has a different (narrower) thread pitch that he can't get a matching bolt for. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, I should have taken a photo? I can't think of anything else that would go into the hole.

The wheels are still not finished, which is super frustrating as I want to take the Kombi away this weekend to check everything is running alright, the garage are hassling the powdercoaters, so fingers crossed.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was sent a picture of the powder coated wheel, with a line of sealant put in the seam before the powdercoat. By no means perfect, but I'm going to take them. Partly so we can travel (!) and also to see what they look like in situ, maybe with the hubcaps on they won't be too bad?

dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. Keep at it. Cool
-dasdachshund
Sven F
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Croatian, lived here all my life, but English is my first language, croatian second.

I can't think of any square holes in any engine tin except the ones for the little pieces that cover the intake preheat pipes, but if they are square, the thread inserts are missing. Otherwise, all tinware uses 6mm threads.

Opatija is ok, but Rijeka is a dirty, busy port city.

Sretan put Neal
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hvala, Sven. Apologies, I jumped to the conclusion that you were Scandinavian!
I should have taken a picture of the mystery bolt hole, pretty sure nothing important was attached to it, so I'll not worry too much!
Fingers crossed the van is ready to pick up tomorrow for a fun weekend away!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Was sent a picture of the powder coated wheel, with a line of sealant put in the seam before the powdercoat. By no means perfect, but I'm going to take them. Partly so we can travel (!) and also to see what they look like in situ, maybe with the hubcaps on they won't be too bad?

I think they look reasonable but.. I'm surprised they didn't blast them w/sand, glass or soda vs. the steel pellets. I've had lots of rims blasted and never had anything stuck in that seem. When I painted my two tone bug rims, that seem had to be clean in order to slide the masking tape into it while painting them for the clean line.

Look forward to seeing your trip pictures!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the Kombi today. Unfortunately I had decided to cycle the 20miles to the garage and I got caught in a thunderstorm. In the middle of it I realised I had a puncture! Fixed it, got warmed up again and then, 2 miles from the garage, got another one. It must be all the grit and glass on the road gets lifted by the rain!
Haven't had the chance to look at the Kombi in detail. They have put the powdercoated wheels on so that we can travel, but neither the garage nor I are happy with them. It's as though they've put a fresh coat over the previous one. We'll sort it out when we get back from our holiday.
They had struggled to get the carbs properly sorted (instructions over the phone didn't help) but the CO reading is down to 4.5% which will do us for now and I can set them up from scratch sometime soon.
They have done a fair bit of work, filing down leaking exhaust gaskets, replacing broken and missing bolts, seals and wiring, retorquing the cylinder head bolts and various other bits. Labour costs here are high, so the overall bill was eyewatering, don't think I'm being 'done over' though.

Have arrived home now. Thank goodness for the heating system I fixed over the winter, kept me from shivering in my soaking wet cycling gear.
Plan is to head for the West coast to Shonas mums tomorrow morning in the Kombi, so hopefully I can get you some pictures Smile

dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep at it. Applause I'm gunna love your weather when I come over. Been 90F here for two weeks.

You're still on the wrong side of the road. Razz

-dasdachshund
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dasdachshund wrote:
Keep at it. Applause I'm gunna love your weather when I come over. Been 90F here for two weeks.

You're still on the wrong side of the road. Razz

-dasdachshund

That's the spirit! You have to embrace our temperate climate, otherwise you'd go mad. Shame the rainfall isn't kind to vehicles (still less the salted roads in the winter)

I do occasionally stop on the correct (for us!) side of the road, but the swing into our driveway is easier from far right!

I've finally changed the thread title to reflect our green light status regarding the trip, all systems go! I wish we were leaving now, but only a week to go. Looking forward to a post mechanical shakedown trip this weekend though, even if it does rain! Probably no camping though, as we'll be at Shona's mums. (I suppose I could sleep in the kombi, but might not prove popular?!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the chance to look at the newly coated wheels today...

Extremely UN awesome powdercoating.
Needless to say, I am far from impressed. As soon as we get back I'll look into having someone else do them. I'll be a lot more specific about what I want, and the the original guy isn't getting paid.
Looks like they just added another layer on, which has failed to bond with the first!

On another note, my 'Save my bus' dipstick had got bent and the temp contact wasnt moving around. I was going to take it out and put the original back, but it easily bent back straight and the cantact moves freely. Easy fix!

We drove a couple of hours on the motorway to Dundonald on the West coast. All seems well, the Automatic transmission is so much smoother since the fluids and seals replaced. Stopped for fuel, 16.7 mpg since the last fill up, but that includes some very rich running, 65-70 mph on the motorway, engine removal and possible fuel loss, and carb tuning (now to a CO of 4.5%). We'll see how it is from now on.
The good news is that after 90 min on the motorway, into a headwind, the engine felt cool, not only can I hold the dipstick but I can lay my palm on the engine top and keep it there! Oil temp gauge reading 110 deg C (230F)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 73

Jump to: