Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Tire wheel and suspension thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cseay1
Samba Member


Joined: March 22, 2012
Posts: 1341
Location: Elkwood VA
cseay1 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing useful to keep in mind is that two different tires of the same "size" can have very different treadwidths. For example:

P195/60R15 Firestone Precision Touring
7.9" section width
5.5" tread width
24.2" diameter

P195/60R15 Bridgestone Ecopia EP422
7.9" section width
6.7" tread width
24.2" diameter

That's a 1.2" width difference in the same "size" tire Shocked

Tire Rack is great because they give you all the specs including actual tread width. Very useful to keep in mind when trying to find that perfect size and fit tire.

I found this out when I recently ordered a set of P185/55R15 and P195/60R15 for a 70 bug .. I was floored when I noticed the 185's were a lot wider in the tread area than the 195's!
_________________
Chris

1968 Karmann Ghia coupe - build log here: Chris' 68 Ghia Build Log - From the Woods back to the Street

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NauntonEvans
Samba Member


Joined: May 23, 2014
Posts: 1
Location: uk-hayling island
NauntonEvans is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasonscool wrote:
I run the 17 fuchs in the front and the back. 205 45 17's in the back and 195 40 17's in the front. My car has a 3 inch beam with drop spindles. Rolled the front fenders and just a hint of rub on lock to lock wheel turn but everything fits great. Looks a lot better than any 15 inch wheel But to each their own!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.



Jason your ghia looks awesome!
I am looking at putting 17x7 porsche rims onto my ghia ,am new to this forum what should i be looking at when selecting my rims? is there an ideal offset? i leaning towards CB disc conversion with porsche bolt pattern, standard ride height-any help is gratefully accepted Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
JoelH
Samba Member


Joined: October 16, 2003
Posts: 1279
Location: North Dakota
JoelH is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have pictures of a stock width beam, lowers spindles, with 145's up front?
_________________
RED RIVER VW CLUB---www.redrivervwclub.com
WIDEFIVE.NET

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retrofive
Samba Member


Joined: February 16, 2014
Posts: 88
Location: So.Or.
retrofive is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoelH wrote:
Anyone have pictures of a stock width beam, lowers spindles, with 145's up front?


2.5" drop spindles, adjustable stock width beam on 145's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kg2 by retrofive, on Flickr

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kg3 by retrofive, on Flickr

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
IMG_20140223_125452_175 by retrofive, on Flickr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHough
Samba Member


Joined: May 12, 2013
Posts: 299
Location: Canada
RHough is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the stock wheels are 4.5 inches, and you can purchase 5.5 inch rims new from CIP and other sources. I will be going with 5.5 on all four corners next summer, as the stock rims are a bit too narrow for the 195/65R15 tires I have on there now.


I just did this. CIP 5.5x15 (ET35) 8 spokes and Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position (Ultra High Performance All Season).

I had to modify the aftermarket brake calipers to clear the spokes (too lazy to source 3-4mm spacers.

I like the look and how the car drives. Stock height all around.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member


Joined: October 20, 2013
Posts: 2626
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
kiwighia68 is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
I just did this. CIP 5.5x15 (ET35) 8 spokes and Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position (Ultra High Performance All Season).

I had to modify the aftermarket brake calipers to clear the spokes (too lazy to source 3-4mm spacers.

I like the look and how the car drives. Stock height all around.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.



Very, very nice. My grandson would love to have your car. This is his favourite colour. The car looks good at stock height too. Well done.
_________________
Festina lente - hasten slowly
1968 Ghia named Emiko
Resto completed Dec 2015
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'68_VW_GHIA
Samba Member


Joined: November 08, 2013
Posts: 12

'68_VW_GHIA is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: 68 ghia Reply with quote

Hello i posted a question on a different page about switching to fuchs on my 68 ghia and got a lot of help from people here on the samba. however i have 1 more question to make sure i get the right parts. If i buy the four 5.5" Fuchs wheels(with 5" Backspacing), can i just buy two 5x130 Drums and the 5x130 Disc brake completer kit? I would like to do this without lowering the car/getting dropped spindles if possible.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6648
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C23%2D501%2D31
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4124

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
carl4x4
Samba Member


Joined: March 20, 2012
Posts: 679
Location: United Kingdom
carl4x4 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: 68 ghia Reply with quote

'68_VW_GHIA wrote:
Hello i posted a question on a different page about switching to fuchs on my 68 ghia and got a lot of help from people here on the samba. however i have 1 more question to make sure i get the right parts. If i buy the four 5.5" Fuchs wheels(with 5" Backspacing), can i just buy two 5x130 Drums and the 5x130 Disc brake completer kit? I would like to do this without lowering the car/getting dropped spindles if possible.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6648
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C23%2D501%2D31
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4124

Thanks


If you don't lower the car it'll be a lot simpler Smile
I did the same with similar wheels in the UK with et43. The rears were fine with 185 tyres, I used 175 on the front, but had an issue with clearance on the inside of the rims so needed a 10mm spacer on the front. This was with a Red9 front suspension so you might be OK with stock.
_________________
1969 UK Karmann Ghia build http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=518789&highlight=
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J1
Samba Member


Joined: February 10, 2014
Posts: 677
Location: SoCal
J1 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if a similar looking wheel is available for 4 lugs? I think what I dig is the "rivet" look around the perimeter, not necessarily the inner star.

vwo60 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.



I found this on another site, anyone know what kind these are?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
1971 Ghia coupe. Assume I know nothing and you'll be pretty darn close to the truth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scotty timmerman
Samba Member


Joined: January 10, 2010
Posts: 865
Location: gigharbor W.A
scotty timmerman is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

centerlines have the rivets going around them

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
71 ghia coupe: Build thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511738&highlight=
71 type 3 fastback auto
71 type 3 fastback manual
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluedot
Samba Member


Joined: April 25, 2013
Posts: 439

bluedot is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up some Airkewld 17" smoothies for my ghia.

Did a trial fit to check clearances, and found only 1/4" between the rim and the rear fender.

Now it just as to clear, right? And the 17" tires don't usually go beyond the rim - so I think I am ok.

I ordered 205 40/17 and 215 45/17's. I think I may mount them and try them on before disassembling and painting the rims.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member


Joined: July 22, 2004
Posts: 4833
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
didget69 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedot wrote:
Just picked up some Airkewld 17" smoothies for my ghia.

Did a trial fit to check clearances, and found only 1/4" between the rim and the rear fender.

Now it just as to clear, right? And the 17" tires don't usually go beyond the rim - so I think I am ok.

I ordered 205 40/17 and 215 45/17's. I think I may mount them and try them on before disassembling and painting the rims.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.



Any tires you mount will see the sidewalls balloon slightly - you'll *most likely* see the tires rubbing the fender lips. Those 215/45-17's are probably going to have a section width of 8.2"-8.6" wide, based on manufacture brand. I'm in same situation with mounting 17's on my Ghia project... but I'm running 17x7.5J rims with a 53ET.

bnc
_________________
I never found the need to impress people with any mechanic certifications, trophies or track wins... unless it was for Mom to post on the refrigerator door.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member


Joined: July 22, 2004
Posts: 4833
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
didget69 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jawon wrote:
Anyone know if a similar looking wheel is available for 4 lugs? I think what I dig is the "rivet" look around the perimeter, not necessarily the inner star.

I found this on another site, anyone know what kind these are?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Possibly 2-piece (or 3-piece) Revolution rims or similar. Maybe Wolfrace rims from U.K.

bnc
_________________
I never found the need to impress people with any mechanic certifications, trophies or track wins... unless it was for Mom to post on the refrigerator door.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bloku
Expert Noob


Joined: April 09, 2013
Posts: 554
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
Bloku is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 1971 karmann ghia!

Front : Drop spindles
175/55s Kumhos
Black rims with caps and beauty rims

Back: Stock
185/65s Falkens
Black rims with caps and beauty rims

Mods - Rolled the fenders with a hammer and a heat gun. Up close my paint has tons of nicks, but the paint is original

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
1971 Karmann Ghia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sirzo
Samba Member


Joined: December 12, 2007
Posts: 169
Location: Australia
sirzo is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bluedot

On a car show I saw recently they demonstrated clearancing the fenders on a car that was just painted.

They used a base ball bat!

They raised the car a bit to give clearance for the bat and then rolled the bat over the tyre which helped push out the fender lip out a bit. I recall the tyre was off the ground as the roll of the tyre kept the bat smoothly positioned against the fender.

I think they ended up getting about 7 or 8 cm (3 inches) clearance extension on the fender away from the tyre. They repeated the process a couple of times to get the clearance they were looking for.

They went slow and there was no apparent distortion.

Worth a thought if needed?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member


Joined: July 22, 2004
Posts: 4833
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
didget69 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some custom tire/wheel installation shops have a 'proper' fender lip rolling tool that can create some clearance by rolling the inner fender lip upwards.

But it won't stretch the inner fender outward.

bnc
_________________
I never found the need to impress people with any mechanic certifications, trophies or track wins... unless it was for Mom to post on the refrigerator door.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hpw
Samba Member


Joined: July 17, 2006
Posts: 3008
Location: memphis
hpw is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirzo wrote:
Hi Bluedot

On a car show I saw recently they demonstrated clearancing the fenders on a car that was just painted.

They used a base ball bat!

They raised the car a bit to give clearance for the bat and then rolled the bat over the tyre which helped push out the fender lip out a bit. I recall the tyre was off the ground as the roll of the tyre kept the bat smoothly positioned against the fender.

I think they ended up getting about 7 or 8 cm (3 inches) clearance extension on the fender away from the tyre. They repeated the process a couple of times to get the clearance they were looking for.

They went slow and there was no apparent distortion.

Worth a thought if needed?


some other options


Link
youtube]


Link

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SLIzSCt_cg&list=FLIX26sGa8__1F1loczLPTtg&index=2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member


Joined: December 23, 2013
Posts: 1350
Location: Bucks County, Pa
CiderGuy is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking out loud. I wonder if the Eastwood fender roller will work. Can it be bolted to the wheel hub of a VW, which is different then a Ford or a Chevy?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member


Joined: July 22, 2004
Posts: 4833
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
didget69 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Fender clearance Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
Just thinking out loud. I wonder if the Eastwood fender roller will work. Can it be bolted to the wheel hub of a VW, which is different then a Ford or a Chevy?


From Eastwood website:

"About Eastwood Fender Roller Tool

Our exclusive fender rolling tool bolts directly onto the wheel's hub flange, and the elongated holes in the adapter plate fit all popular 4- and 5-bolt hubs. It's held in place with the included dished washers and your vehicle's lug nuts. Accommodates up to a 120.6 mm (4.75") 4- or 5-lug bolt circles. Forming arm adjustability ranges from a minimum of 14" to a maximum of 22-3/4" hub-center-to-edge-of-roller to handle most automotive and light truck projects. Non-returnable. Limited one-year warranty: if defective, we'll replace the tool.

FAQs

Q: Will the Fender Roller work on all passenger cars?
A: For the most part, yes, but won't work with vehicles with larger hubs, such as trucks, VWs and Porsches. "

It Doesn't appear that the Eastwood tool's mounting flange bolt pattern is large enough to allow use on a 4x130mm or 5x130mm bolt pattern for Porsche/VW -

bnc
_________________
I never found the need to impress people with any mechanic certifications, trophies or track wins... unless it was for Mom to post on the refrigerator door.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member


Joined: December 23, 2013
Posts: 1350
Location: Bucks County, Pa
CiderGuy is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fender clearance Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:
Just thinking out loud. I wonder if the Eastwood fender roller will work. Can it be bolted to the wheel hub of a VW, which is different then a Ford or a Chevy?


From Eastwood website:

"About Eastwood Fender Roller Tool

Our exclusive fender rolling tool bolts directly onto the wheel's hub flange, and the elongated holes in the adapter plate fit all popular 4- and 5-bolt hubs. It's held in place with the included dished washers and your vehicle's lug nuts. Accommodates up to a 120.6 mm (4.75") 4- or 5-lug bolt circles. Forming arm adjustability ranges from a minimum of 14" to a maximum of 22-3/4" hub-center-to-edge-of-roller to handle most automotive and light truck projects. Non-returnable. Limited one-year warranty: if defective, we'll replace the tool.

FAQs

Q: Will the Fender Roller work on all passenger cars?
A: For the most part, yes, but won't work with vehicles with larger hubs, such as trucks, VWs and Porsches. "

It Doesn't appear that the Eastwood tool's mounting flange bolt pattern is large enough to allow use on a 4x130mm or 5x130mm bolt pattern for Porsche/VW -

bnc


Thanks, that info may have saved someone a few bucks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 27

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB