Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

84 Westy heater on all of the time
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highland Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: 84 Westy heater on all of the time Reply with quote

I just bought an 84 Westy. The PO replaced the dash with a newer dash. There are no heater controls. I have warm air blowing all of the time on my feet. Any ideas?
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 Westy heater on all of the time Reply with quote

Highland Piper wrote:
The PO replaced the dash with a newer dash. There are no heater controls.

Huh? All the water cooled vanagon dashes through all the years had controls for HVAC...pretty ridiculous if they didn't! Not sure what you are saying?

The stock location for the heater control valve is above the spare tire underneath the van...you could manually shut it off there if the valve is still there and still working. Are you sure you're driving a vanagon? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PocketRocket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: can't turn ioff the heat Reply with quote

Pull off the vent in front of the bottom dash. Find the water hose hot side, get a valve with hose barbed nipples, I think they are 1/2 cut the hose install the valve with nipples now you can turn off the hot water to the front heater core. I make about the same thing for the rear seat heater valve. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1407932 Thanks Rocky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Highland Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I sure I'm driving a vanagon? Its bright orange says vanagon on the back and westfalia on the top. What do you think? I think those are pretty good indicators. The PO didn't put the levers in their place on the heater control panel on the dash. Thank you others for your helpful comments.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can find some used control levers - they pop up her (classifieds) or ebay from time to time.

FWIW: Perhaps geo_tons' sarcasm indicator is out - maybe a bad ground connection...???

Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Maybe you can find some used control levers - they pop up her (classifieds) or ebay from time to time.

FWIW: Perhaps geo_tons' sarcasm indicator is out - maybe a bad ground connection...???

Wink

I think it might be a relay, but I'll clean the grounds anyway... Rolling Eyes

That aside my advice was legit in spite of being summarily dismissed. Crawl underneath, drop your spare and shut the heater off manually until you can fix your mess.

Last edited by geo_tonz on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroBilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use a small pair of vice grips on the hose until you valved the line. I'm pretty sure a pex ball valve with a couple clamps would do the trick. I did read somewhere that the ball valve should never be all the way closed. Not sure about that info though. I think someone said the line could get airbound.
Hope you sort it out. Hotfoot sucks Wink
Highland Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the good information.
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge they all have controls. Look up HOT FOOT fix. Buy a shut-off valve from T.K.
Highland Piper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'm definitely going to have to get the T K shut off valve.fiddled with that crap under spare and still blows hot. Not as much but still does.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No--don't mount the valve up front.
Mount it in the feed heater hoses before heater in back--this will shut down all of the heat for the front & rear heater with the flip of your finger.

Best way to get it all off, all summer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: