Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 bay - clutch slipping in 3rd & 4th - clutch plate?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
burrows540
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: 71 bay - clutch slipping in 3rd & 4th - clutch plate? Reply with quote

I've got a 71 bay window with a 1835. Just noticed on the freeway that the clutch is slipping up hills and under load. Not noticeable at lower speeds, flat or downhills. When I accelerate up hills in 4th over 50mph the rps race up with little to no added speed. When I keep acceleration at a minimum, the slippage is not an issue. I adjusted the clutch cable but still having the same issue. Rear main does not seem to be leaking enough to cause oil contamination. I also tested the clutch by parking, setting e-brake, and letting clutch out in 3rd and 4th. Bus dies immediately. Shifting is smooth as well.

Is my clutch plate going? If I don't pull the engine for a while, is there risk of doing more damage to the entire clutch assembly? Thoughts?

Thanks
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much freeplay is in the pedal and when did you check it last before this started?
burrows540
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SGKent"]how much freeplay is in the pedal and when did you check it last before this started?[/quote

The last I had checked before the slipping started was when I replaced the cable years ago, and I had adjusted to spec. I adjusted it last week by myself and I'd say its around 1.5" but I did not have a helper to get it honed in. I can check again tonight.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burrows540 wrote:
SGKent wrote:
how much freeplay is in the pedal and when did you check it last before this started?

The last I had checked before the slipping started was when I replaced the cable years ago, and I had adjusted to spec. I adjusted it last week by myself and I'd say its around 1.5" but I did not have a helper to get it honed in. I can check again tonight.

as a clutch wears in it tightens the cable. If they get too tight and slip too long then you will need to replace it, the pressure plate, and possibly the flywheel too.

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also have a good look for signs of oil leaking at the flywheel seal. Enough oil leaking from that seal can oil down the clutch and cause exactly what you described. Been there done that! Wink
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the clutch wears enough so that the fingers begin to hit the clutch cover the clutch is done for, no amount of adjusting the clutch is going to fix things.

To test the clutch, drive 10 miles or so around town to get everything warm and then stop and put the bumper up against a tree and engage the parking brake. Now put the tranny in 4th and begin to release the clutch while at the same time flooring the engine. A good clutch will kill the engine while the throttle is to the floor.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to SGKent.

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: