Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifting floors with body lift
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MfromM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Lifting floors with body lift Reply with quote

Has anyone moved the floors back up to the body and welded them three three inches up on the tunnel when lifting the body?
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what would be the point?

the only thing a body lift does for you is give you more tire clearance. You can do that without the hassle of a lift by either reworking your fender mounts or installing aftermarket fenders.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
MfromM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a Type 181. I haven't seen one with large tires that doesn't have a body lift. The after market fenders are all four inches wider not to mention very expensive! If I don't max out the suspension the ball joint front end won't bind and the tires will be more centered in the wheel wells. I know it's not the best way to go for off roading but it should save me about $5000 between widened front end,Trani, trailing arms,axles,cv's,shocks and roll cage to mount the shocks on which is the only alternative to lift and center your wheels.
Besides,no one else has done it!
MfromM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more reason to go with the body lift...your car is lifted! Looks cool from all angles. That's right,I said LOOKS! There's a little poser in all of us!
Thanks,"Hollywood" Matt
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are asking about raising the floors 3" instead of going with a body lift? You could never do that, how would you accomodate the front and rear sections of the pan where it rises up to the top of the tunnel?

You cant raise the floors with a body lift because the body lift sits on the floor pan itself. What you are asking about doing isnt feasible or possible the way I see it.

You dont have to go with a body lift. There are fenders out there that are wider and taller. The SoCal fronts are roughly 2.5" wider and taller. The body lift is to accomodate a much larger tire. You could run 235s without a body lift, and with 'glass lifted fenders like the SoCals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: