Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'78 westy top lift elbow mechanism
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: '78 westy top lift elbow mechanism Reply with quote

I'm in a bit of a bind. Last year, I gave up in frustration trying to install a cheap canvas ( http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6902837&highlight=#6902837 -last page).

I bought the better one from Bus Depot, and this week I took it in to get installed at Maritime Canvas Converters in Halifax. Near the end of the business day today, they called and said there was an issue with the lift support elbow - the "wheel" was coming out of its housing and makes the poptop uneven. They are going to try and fix it. I thought I'd read somewhere that these mechanisms are under great tension and its complicated and dicey to take them apart. Problem is that my bentley and the yellow manual are both in the bus at the shop, so I cant look anything up, even if it was in there. Is this an easy fix with a bit of welding? The installer said it looked like a metal plate had disintegrated or wore off.

I'm leery of non-VW experienced people working on this, but I don't really have a choice. Any suggestions - or a link to pictures of the mechanism apart would be appreciated.

Here's the pics from today showing the "wheel" off center (pass side)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Below is the good drivers side:

And I just noticed this pic I took last fall that shows the wheel coming out, so its been an issue for who knows how long?

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help but I suspect you'll be looking for a new cross tube:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=522668

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BD - that definitely helps. I had searched under various terms, but not that one! I think I can get a used cross bar, or even the whole passenger side mechanism from a wreck here in NS, but not by tomorrow morning.

Obviously, it would be best if I could fix this before going any further.

The top is still easy to raise and lower, so I think the cables and springs are okay, just that the cross bar end has worn away, allowing the tensioner to slide away from being centered. From the other link you sent, it looks like I could just remove the cross bar and replace it with a used one without much difficulty - or will the joint fall apart?

"... the nut & bolt in the right of the photo securing the cross bar comes out and the cross tube slides out of the hinge (it's the pivot), the joint falls apart after that."

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it'll fall apart when in the bus as it seems to be sort of still together right now but to get the crossbar in you'll have to remove one side or the other as it'll have to slide straight in (maybe both if the canvas is in the way). There's not much spring tension when it's extended, you can likely pull it up the last inch to get the holes to line up, the spring is fully loaded when it's folded down.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up on this thread - I got a used crossbar from a '78. Came out pretty easy. Here's a couple of pics with the lift mechanism apart for reference, after I took out the crossbar.

from this wreck:

And here's what was wrong with mine - the end of the crossbar had broken off, as Busdaddy had surmised.

Meyer wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: