Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bostig conversion
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zombievws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: bostig conversion Reply with quote

am I seeing things or does the conversion kit read $5995.00 ? for a do it yourself bolt in conversion.
wtf???
zombievws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a couple of you tube videos and thought this is the way to go for sure. nice kit, simple install and looks very nice. but 6k and I supply the engine?
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the prices of comparable DIY conversion kits. The price for the Bostig kit is honestly a good deal for a fully developed and incredibly well supported system to re-power your van with an easy to maintain, dependable modern engine.

Complete, low mileage Zetec's are routinely purchased for less than $500.00.

Try to find people in your area with the various engine conversions so you can see them first hand and see which one is right for you.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last (4) conversions completed at my shop...Bostig Exclamation
zombievws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kit looks very easy to do. great job on the layout. what about the huge mounting setup. is it a bolt in or cut /drill/ weld in.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire kit and process are designed for a DIYer, without a lift and alot of tools.
Very basic mechanical abilities are needed to make the swap.
Reading the directions is all that seemed challenging to me...haha, but seriously, it is the most comprehensive bolt in kit available for the Vanagon, my opinion.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I search hp and tq specs, it appears the 99-02's come in at 135 tq and 127 hp.

Doesn't seem like a huge gain. What is the major draw to this engine/swap?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUGEs gains will cost HUGE $s to beef up brakes, suspension...the rest of the driveline.

Modest, smooth power gains are a nice "upgrade" Wink
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are purchasing a well thought out and well designed kit.
You pay for that design know how and for the "bugs" already having been worked out.

I'm not converting engines but if I ever do, this is the engine I'm going to use.

Keep in mind that there are more expenses than just this kit. You need an engine, motor mounts, ECU, cooling bits, etc.

Insyncro could say to the penny but I'm guessing $7000+ For the kit and extra parts, depending upon what you pay for many used items.

Their instructions........
https://store-s4z9r.mybigcommerce.com/content/manual_vg22a.pdf

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
HUGEs gains will cost HUGE $s to beef up brakes, suspension...the rest of the driveline. Modest, smooth power gains are a nice "upgrade"

Well spoken. I ran into a guy with a loaded Syncro and was running this set up. He seemed happy with it.

As for me? I live in Cali-land. sigh
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a bit expensive to me. H20's 1.8t is also a complete kit and was 6500 last I saw and says you dont need to buy as much as a washer or hose clamp. The engine is a bit more but it is a very strong motor and puts out more power.

There are complete Subaru conversion kits too for less. Seems tho me the attraction to Boston is lots of shiny new parts, a low mileage engine, support and ease of install which appeals to less skilled DIYrs.

I like the Subaru.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the price is a little steep, and you can do better doing an EJ22 if you scrounge all your own parts.
Do some comparing and you can compare the pros and cons of ea conversion. The Zetec is a pretty solid choice and the conversion is well sorted and very reliable. The engine is cheap because there are so many available. There are more 2000cc Zetecs sitting in junk yards than there are Suburas made, ever. It's not that the engine is cheap, it's that they never failed so nobody buys them out of yards. Parts are also very cheap and available at every corner auto parts store in the world.
The power gains are modest, but the operating rpm range is much higher. Letting the Zetec pull to 6500 in 3rd feels comfortable. Can't do that with the WBX.
A major selling point for me was the completely new wiring harness. No hacking of wires, just plug it in and turn the key. No 20 yo wires to crack and fail.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the NEW wiring harness.
The Bostig conversion for Syncros offers the most coverage and best devised transmission and engine skid system on the market today.
The oil pan upgrade and both skids are additional to the cost of the kit.

If you are looking for the "cheapest" conversion...well, you get what you pay for...period Exclamation
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted all of my conversion costs here on my Bostig. Accurate down to the last penny. I feel Bostig is a BARGAIN! I love driving my westy and not thinking about the engine.

My best friend is doing a subi conversion and is an aircraft mechanic, and an auto mechanic. He's stuck and the thing has sat half done for over a year. He's spent a lot of money and has nothing to show for it.

If you buy a rebuilt WBX engine, you're going to spend a comparable amount to the Bostig. But it's still old technology! Go for the gold that you can maintain and repair, IF it ever needs it.

You have to look at the big picture: How much will it cost to maintain over the life of the vehicle? Bostig wins hands down. If my engine fails, I go to the junkyard and pick up another one for $500 or less. Install the parts , and put it back into the camper. Off on road trips for another 100,000 miles!
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
ithinkso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put 5000+ miles on my bostig'ed westy over the summer on a roadtrip to Canada.

The only thing I had to fix on the van the whole trip was a blown wiper fuse. Very Happy

At the time I chose the bostig conversion because I didn't have a garage and I wanted the conversion to go quick and smoothly in a borrowed friend's garage. Now that I have a garage I think I'd still go with the bostig.

1985 Westy, Zetec powered
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
. ...well, you get what you pay for...period Exclamation

X2
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KMStellaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few of the Bostig vans. I like all of the conversions I have seen, but the Bostig is the one that I am going to be saving my pennies for.
mekanism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think after all of the kits Bostig sold and made good money on that they would figure out a way to make them 50 state legal. They are missing out on a huge market here in Cali.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mekanism,

The problem is with California, not Bostig. The conversion is much, much cleaner than what the old WBX put out. But Bostig is just 3 guys, not a giant corporation. CARB's mission is to get old vehicles off the roads, NOT to approve better technology in old cars. Not fair to blame Bostig.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
mekanism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
mekanism,

The problem is with California, not Bostig. The conversion is much, much cleaner than what the old WBX put out. But Bostig is just 3 guys, not a giant corporation. CARB's mission is to get old vehicles off the roads, NOT to approve better technology in old cars. Not fair to blame Bostig.

Then how did Kennedy get a their EJ22 kit CARB approved? I dont think they are a large corporation. Also, I can try and put any engine I want in my van and take it to the Ref where they will either approve or not approve based on various emissions related hardware not installed. Every Ref is different as far as their strictness on swaps. Its annoying that even if I wanted a Bostig they wont sell it to me because I live in Cali, even though I could still take it to the Ref and try to get it BAR certified with no liability placed on Bostig for selling me an engine kit. Maybe I'm wrong on this point I dont know.

What I would like to know is what is in the Bostig kit that makes it so expensive? So are you paying for their good engineering or is it the cost of the materials? $6k seems really steep for just some hardware that you bolt on. If that were the cost for a complete turn-key engine kit including engine/ecu etc.. than it would be worth it. If you have to go out to a junkyard and still collect parts you might as well go Suburu and save yourself $3k+.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: