Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tunnel trans into early bus: center mount option?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the kit from Wagenswest, going to be installing it in my BD when I swap out the trans. I'll update with report on how the install goes and how it compares to the current one-off center mount I was running.
BTW. The new kits come with button head allen bolts for additional clearance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
low54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:
I just bought the kit from Wagenswest, going to be installing it in my BD when I swap out the trans. I'll update with report on how the install goes and how it compares to the current one-off center mount I was running.

Yes please I'm about to order one for my 54 as I have the csp solid mount in my Kombi and it is loud.
Cheers ben
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:

I really liked your home built mount, Aaron.
Aaron
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cdennisg"]
Aaron wrote:

I really liked your home built mount, Aaron.

It is a cool idea and sure seems solid. Problem is the shifting has been crap since that work was done. I've played with it a couple of times and can't get it sorted, I'm basically going to start from scratch. There are just too many factors right now: hockey stick, shift linkage, mount, ect.
You coming over to the West side in March for the camp-out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning to be there. I have a present for you, too.
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
thom wrote:
Does the tab from the lower mount go into the urethane piece?

I'm not clear on the function of the 'hoop' that goes over the top; is it basically a big washer for the urethane bushing?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That lower tab that mounts to the nosecone is only half of a piece that is bent 90 degrees. the other half is cast into the urethane. The loop on top holds the urethane into the mount and hoops over the top of the shift rod part of the nosecone, just like an original setup.

I just want to confirm something from people who have used Nate's Lollipop adapter - does the above Lollipop kit from Nate totally replace the ususal front tranny mount? I don't want to seem thick but I don't quite get it....

Does it replace this http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211301265A
swivel'n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya. It replaces it
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMadness wrote:

I just want to confirm something from people who have used Nate's Lollipop adapter - does the above Lollipop kit from Nate totally replace the ususal front tranny mount? I don't want to seem thick but I don't quite get it....

Does it replace this http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211301265A

If you have early style donut mount... Nate's part saves you from solid mount or using that part you posted a link to and mating it with this weld-on part (after you hack your donut mount):
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111701173C
oldvolkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMadness wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
thom wrote:
Does the tab from the lower mount go into the urethane piece?

I'm not clear on the function of the 'hoop' that goes over the top; is it basically a big washer for the urethane bushing?

That lower tab that mounts to the nosecone is only half of a piece that is bent 90 degrees. the other half is cast into the urethane. The loop on top holds the urethane into the mount and hoops over the top of the shift rod part of the nosecone, just like an original setup.

can you use this on a bug?

Can you only use this lolipop mount or do you need to use a bus nose cone too.
thanks

Last edited by oldvolkz on Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks swivel'n and easy e

Very Happy
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm the "competition"in the case, but...

Does the Wagens west adapter not just force the top of the nose come into the top of the original loop on the bus, making it metal on metal again?

The only polyurethane is on the bottom of the nosecone.

mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken that was my exact question. But i also then realized that the nosecone on reduction setup is always pushing DOWN, and the weight of the trans is likely to cause it to sag over time. So i figured it wouldnt make much noise while driving in my bus.
Now a straight axle setup... id think the nosecone would come up and go metal to metal causing some interesting vibes to be transmitted.

I have this mount and am gonna give it a try soon. Ill report when i do. If i dislike it im gonna put my OG trans back and a 36r. Just about completely vintage in my head now...lol.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember the nose cone itself is bolted to the flange that is molded into the "lollipop" and due to the semi-circular shape of the lollipop it can not move up or down or left or right within the original hole. Clearance the nose cone enough and it should not hit the original metal. I have used this mount and it worked flawlessly. I do wish the urethane was a bit softer, but what can ya do?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:
remember the nose cone itself is bolted to the flange that is molded into the "lollipop" and due to the semi-circular shape of the lollipop it can not move up or down or left or right within the original hole. Clearance the nose cone enough and it should not hit the original metal. I have used this mount and it worked flawlessly. I do wish the urethane was a bit softer, but what can ya do?

This is what I was thinking. The urethane/mount flange supports the nosecone, and it should be clearanced so that nothing makes metal-to-metal contact.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use a good mid-mount, like a Berg to stop nose cone movement. The nose cone by itself isnt enough to offset the cantilever effects of the motor hanging off the trans
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is now mounted with the Rancho tranny I bought (came with nosecone) and big nut axles/brakes. I have driven it about 300 miles in all conditions & speeds, bumpy roads and freeway driving at 65 mph......
I don't hear any excessive noise coming from the mount at all. Some people mentioned that a hard urethane mount on metal would be noisy. So far, this is not the case.
When I have more miles with this setup, I'll report back.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make your own, costs a few dollars. Make it like the ones used in a split beetle. I made mine and it uses a stock rubber mount which can be switched without removing trans.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Make your own, costs a few dollars. Make it like the ones used in a split beetle. I made mine and it uses a stock rubber mount which can be switched without removing trans.

Pictures / details?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583119&highlight=
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason that mount is epic. You should make and sell those. Or sell cardboard templates of the pieces. Its very simple. I love it just want to see how far it hangs down in person.
Man thats cool.

Like a mount on stilts. The stanchion mount. Smile

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: