Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sunroof set ups
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snj wrote:
Good to know you've got a larger metal reinforcement bracket, supaninja. I've got one from a Bug on the way. I'll take some detailed pictures once I get it, and perhaps you can let me know if you spot any differences between the two.

Well, I never got around to that, but I did finally compare the large Bug metal reinforcement plate to one from a 1971 Squareback. They're identical.
snj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
I'll be nosy and will chime in, when I installed my sunroof, I thought about and used the larger metal reinforcement, but it wouldn't sit right and the cranking gear would miss either one of the cables as I turned the crank to open and close the sunroof. That would cause the sunroof to pull more from one side. I dissassambled my sunroof about 4 times and I finally corrected that problem by using that small little tab. Now if you get it to work, that would be awesome. The small tab was used on earlier setups and the larger one on later ones. I will check both my spare parts and my parts books to see if there is really a difference.

I have now verified that on later T3 sunroofs (at least on this 1971), both the large plate and small tab are used. When you put your car together, what version of the center lower piece did you use? I'm wondering if maybe the replacement part (313 877 369A) is designed to be used with both the small and large metal pieces, where the original one (313 877 369) is only supposed to be used with the small metal tab.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the small tab, as the cables would skip when I used the large plate.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
I used the small tab, as the cables would skip when I used the large plate.

I did a bit more digging on this, and later versions of T3 and T1 parts lists show the small tab. They list it as 241 876 363, calling it a tenioning plate, to be used on an "as needed" basis. This seems to match what you found. Adding the small tab provided the extra tension to keep the cables from skipping. Did you ever try using both the large plate and small tab at the same time?
snj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supaninja wrote:
I know there are at least two different style handle/crank gears

Yep! I ran into that today.

Early versions (through 1967) have longer splines on both the gear assembly and the crank, and the shape of the cranks is different.

Early handle: 313 877 453
Late handle: 117 877 453

Early gear assembly: 313 877 403
Late gear assembly: 117 877 403

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Late on the left, early on the right.

Early on the left, late on the right.

Late on the left, early on the right.
type3nut64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a pic of my sunroof. remember its a 63 car with 68 sunroof clip.

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

type3nut64 wrote:
here is a pic of my sunroof. remember its a 63 car with 68 sunroof clip.

Thank You Sir,

that looks correct, AFAIK, VW made the later setups to fit early cars, the only modification was position of the screw holes.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type3nut64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you like my gobbledy gooped up felt? you see the damn yellow glue where over did it Crying or Very sad and the painer not getting orange paint in all the nooks and crannies.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I'd bring this thread back up from the dead, since I've got a question. Can bay bus cables be used in place of the type 3 cables? I'm only asking, as ISP is out of stock on them.Sad
I'm not opposed at modifying the bus cable length if needed.
Also, where does 1 find the small "tab" brass piece for tightening up the cable/gear tension?

I've got mine all apart at the moment, and would like to replace some parts while I'm in there.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob - PM or email me if you want to try Bay Bus sunroof cables. I have a new set of cables that I will never use.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may help others as well

http://www.nlaparts.com/store/sunroof-cables-p-1524.html

as best I remember, the ends have to be flopped, but if you are using a dremmel to shorten them - it shouldn't matter

based on their length, I would say absolutely yes, bus cables will work shortened. I'd almost bet that's what NLA parts is selling
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys, and I appreciate the offer Greg, but I think I'll need to clean my existing cables up first, and see how bad they are. That's a pretty decent chunk of cash for cables, that still need to be modified. I was mainly looking at my options in case mine are too worn out to re-use. Well, that and I was hoping Square to be hip was going to tell me ISP got in some more, but they're not on their web site. Laughing You know most places don't immediately update their web sites. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Thanks for the help guys, and I appreciate the offer Greg, but I think I'll need to clean my existing cables up first, and see how bad they are. That's a pretty decent chunk of cash for cables, that still need to be modified. I was mainly looking at my options in case mine are too worn out to re-use. Well, that and I was hoping Square to be hip was going to tell me ISP got in some more, but they're not on their web site. Laughing You know most places don't immediately update their web sites. Wink

as far as I know, I bought the last set of cables from ISP west - $400 for SupaNinja Nick at the last classic I went to. Their website has said out of stock ever since

I'm kicking myself because once upon a time, I had a spare sunroof panel, with the rails and the cables. Pretty sure it was sold to Corey for a pretty cheap price, but he had given me a lot of parts when I first got my sunroof notchback so....

Theres a square somewhat close to me for sale that has a sunroof opening but no actual sunroof or rails or cables...
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Yeah, I guess we only did a limited run of them. You can use bug cables; the sunroof opens up 90-95% of the way instead of 100%. They do the trick in a pinch.

I asked Alex about the bus cables but we have not had a chance to compare them to original Type 3 cables. Might not be until next week as we're a little busy getting ready for our open house and BBQ tomorrow...

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Yeah, I guess we only did a limited run of them. You can use bug cables; the sunroof opens up 90-95% of the way instead of 100%. They do the trick in a pinch.

I asked Alex about the bus cables but we have not had a chance to compare them to original Type 3 cables. Might not be until next week as we're a little busy getting ready for our open house and BBQ tomorrow...

Yeah, that's what I figured (limited run of them). Well, I still need to look at my existing ones anyway, plus they were still working, so I know they need a good cleaning. I just was wondering about the bus cables, since those are both longer, and available thru several suppliers is all.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soak

But you know that
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
More info
Early (blue) VS Late (White) lid differences.

The adjusting nuts are different. The early has 4 holes, the late only has 2.

The early has a ridge on the front and the late is smooth.

Early (left) VS Late(right) plastic covers

Early (plastic) VS Late (metal) sunroof cable guides

Can I used the metal cable guides if my 65 notch had plastic ones? I'm also gonna use the ISP billet guide kit.. But I don't have cable guides
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Can I used the metal cable guides if my 65 notch had plastic ones? I'm also gonna use the ISP billet guide kit.. But I don't have cable guides[/quote]

If you are using big wing (plastic or ISP) outers, you MUST use the dual metal tube inners as they won't work with the (early)short wing outers. If you have a pair of inner plastic guides in VGC, I will trade you for a very nice set of metal tubes.

Martin
allwagons

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Can I used the metal cable guides if my 65 notch had plastic ones? I'm also gonna use the ISP billet guide kit.. But I don't have cable guides

If you are using big wing (plastic or ISP) outers, you MUST use the dual metal tube inners as they won't work with the (early)short wing outers. If you have a pair of inner plastic guides in VGC, I will trade you for a very nice set of metal tubes.

Martin
allwagons[/quote]

I did have the plastic cable guide rails and I threw them away cause I thought I wouldn't need them with the ISP kit.. Would you be willing to sell the metal tubes? It would really help me out cause I can't get the sunroof back in with out them.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the cable guide tube is something that could be made? I'm having no luck finding them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: