Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Progress on France's Dune Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
illinineverdie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice gauges Vincent. I love the color of you gauges, font, etc.. nicely done!

On a side note, I almost went with speedhut. Very close to doing so.. in the end I just had to get some American Muscle Autometer gauges.
Humdinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked on the Speedhut website and i couldn't find a combo gauge that had oil temp instead of water... did you have to call and specify?

Those gauges are top notch! I was originally going to stay with VDO to save some cash but those just might sway me otherwise!
Humdinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked on the Speedhut website and i couldn't find a combo gauge that had oil temp instead of water... did you have to call and specify?

Those gauges are top notch! I was originally going to stay with VDO to save some cash but those just might sway me otherwise!
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humdinger wrote:

Yes I did have to ask them for the switch. There was a fee but it was minimal IIRC.

Customer service is top notch. Highly recommend them. A quick note on the speedometer. I decided to go with the none GPS version and the electronic wheel sensors are not very good (sourced elsewhere). I have the same problem with same sensor on my VDO gauges. Scott B went with the GPS version IIRC and he had to fiddle with the antenna location a little. Make sure you do your research before selecting the one you want/need.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, wvbowtieman has the GPS speedo from Speedhut on his Lithia and it does a very good job except for heavy tree cover and tunnels. His also has elevation. When we were at MOTB, he would key me on our radios and tell me "4 foot elevation" as we were cruising down the island chain. Pretty cool modern gauges.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
David, wvbowtieman has the GPS speedo from Speedhut on his Lithia and it does a very good job except for heavy tree cover and tunnels. His also has elevation. When we were at MOTB, he would key me on our radios and tell me "4 foot elevation" as we were cruising down the island chain. Pretty cool modern gauges.

Elevation is a very cool function! That will come in handy in Colorado and at Big Bear! They are on my "would love to have" list. Very Happy

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an effort to cure the wheel bearing failures, I decided to source new spindles. I suspect the current ones are bent and are causing premature bearing failures. Also, the outter shaft is undersized and the bearing has some play.

I just got this set from CIP1 and I was suprised to see that the driver's side has a pressed in axle. I'll have to look at my current one but I'm pretty sure it's a single casting machined axle.

I wonder if I could not salvage my old set and bore out the old cast axle and press in a new machined to size axle? Winter project perhaps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crack monkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would they send you one pressed in and one machined? bizzare??
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crack monkey wrote:

Most are like that due to having the speedometer cable rifle drilled through the center. Cast knuckle with a pressed in forged billet spindle. Since the Pass side does not have the hole, it can be fully cast and stand up to the abuse.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypothesys confirmed... The spindle was badly bent. I suspect the PO dropped the beam on the spindle at one time. Also, the old one was all cast. I was able to re-use the bearings we installed during ECVW.

Looks like the shaft even started to wear...

You can almost see the bend with the naked eye...

There's almost 80 thousandth runout.

Link
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind that almost all the aftermarket spindles flex like a biatch when being driven due to the crap they are made from.

We have had them fail several handling tests when trying to get cars approved and have traced the cause back to the amount of variation and distortion they have.

Not to mention destructive testing. If you get bored take a factory one and put a piece of tube on it, then weight it up at around 1200mm ..... then do the same with the awesome aftermarket ones .... you won't need a dial gauge to measure the variation in the aftermarket ones.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedBaronofRedBud wrote:

Elevation is a very cool function! That will come in handy in Colorado and at Big Bear! They are on my "would love to have" list. Very Happy

The speedhut gauges also do 0-60 and 1/4 mile calculations. I haven't tried them out yet, but I see them as I scroll through the menu. I mounted my sender under the fiberglass. I made a bracket out of 1/8 inch angle iron and attached it to the firewall so the gps pickup was just under the bonnet. The pickup is magnetic, so I didn't have to attach it to the bracket. It may work to stick it to the top of a stock gas tank on a Manx type body.
crack monkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
crack monkey wrote:

Most are like that due to having the speedometer cable rifle drilled through the center. Cast knuckle with a pressed in forged billet spindle. Since the Pass side does not have the hole, it can be fully cast and stand up to the abuse.

ah makes sense.
sbussard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vincent9993"]
Humdinger wrote:
Scott B went with the GPS version IIRC and he had to fiddle with the antenna location a little.

Glad you got your spindle squared away. As for the GPS speedo, lately it would only work intermittantly, and sometimes not at all. I called Speedhut, discussed what was going on with tech support, and they mailed me a new anntena. Two days later and I'm back in business. As a plus I can now put the antnenna under the dash and it works flawlessly. Awesome customer support. They said they'd send me a new gauge if the antenna didn't fix the problem.

I think the bad antenna was my problem all along.

Thanks,
Scott
Manxter #122
First time, garage built, and living out the childhood dream of owning a life-size Hotwheel!

Check out my build thread-->My Manxter 2+2
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent this rainy day and Joe'ed my cooling tins.
Ref: Joeing your cooling tins

I started by thinking it would be easier to pull the fan shroud without pulling the engine... All this to avoid having to take the rear bumper, Oil filter and wiring off.

I can confirm, that it's possible to remove the fan shroud without removing the engine. But... After having strugled with removing the oil cooler from what seemed like tail pipe surgery, I decided it would be a real PITA to re-install and took the motor out.

Following Joe Wheeler's advice I proceeded to Joe'ed my cooling tins. Went to my stach of spare parts and found a pair of OEM tins and mounted them on the chrome aftermarket ones. I also found an old motor that had the small deflector under the head pieces.

Here are a few pictures.

Old OEM tins

Removed the deflector

Drilled the chrome tins and lined up the deflector

Deflector installed with stainless pop rivets

See how they fit

Next, install the deflector under the head pieces

Ok so Joe may not be the 1st to come up with this but since he's the one that convinced me to do it, I'm calling it Joeing your tins!

Thanks Joe!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Adam Hostetler got a set of pivot bolt retaining brackets named after him, and now I have a oilly set of air foils named after me!

Nice work and looking forward to hear what they do for your head temp's.

vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After more than 27,000 miles, decided to change the plugs.

I'm no expert but looking at the color, I think the plugs tell a good story.

Plug #3 has a heat ring and for some reason, it's a little more black.

I run a Pertronix coil and opted to gap at .028 and see if the engine likes that.

Also change the distributor cap as preventive maintenance.

We have a small 1,000 mile trip planned in a few weeks and then we'll do an oil change before MOTB 2014.
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently replaced the starter... I thought I had an Odyssey battery going bad, but after replacing it and still experiencing odd starting issues, we decided to replace the starter.

We ordered the BOS-SR15N - NEW BOSCH 12V STARTER FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSION But when we received it, it was for an automatic (self supported). At first I thought I had messed up but I re-checked my order and it really sais for manual transmissions.

Not sure if CIP1 made a mistake or if Bosch now sends the autostick version by default, in any case we decided to use it!

All I can tell you is this started rocks! It starts at least twice as fast as the old one.

I should re-check to see if there are numbers on the unit...
RedBaronofRedBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vincent9993 wrote:
Recently replaced the starter... I thought I had an Odyssey battery going bad, but after replacing it and still experiencing odd starting issues, we decided to replace the starter.

We ordered the BOS-SR15N - NEW BOSCH 12V STARTER FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSION But when we received it, it was for an automatic (self supported). At first I thought I had messed up but I re-checked my order and it really sais for manual transmissions.

Not sure if CIP1 made a mistake or if Bosch now sends the autostick version by default, in any case we decided to use it!

All I can tell you is this started rocks! It starts at least twice as fast as the old one.

I should re-check to see if there are numbers on the unit...

We went through the same thing with starters (and flywheels) until I was told by a buddy that the autostick starters are the way to go. We have had an autostick starter in Kermit since last Fall and it is the bomb!

I had heard that some of the reman starters were being substituted with the autostick ones. Anyone else heard of this?

My two pennies…your mileage may vary

I’m not a complete idiot, there are parts missing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

France's Buggy was just featured in The Wall Street Journal - My Ride

A Meyers Manx Dune Buggy That’s Been Around

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: