Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing issue. This can't be right.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Timing issue. This can't be right. Reply with quote

Type1 1776cc DP. EMPI 38 EGAS Carb, 87 octane gas. It starts right away when it's cold. But it's a different story when it's hot. So I investigate. I have gas, check. When I check spark, it's weak. So I loosen the dizzy and started turning it until I got a good spark by using a screw driver technique. I installed back the cable (center cable of the dizzy) it's started right away. When I got home, I checked the timing and it's around 40-45 degree BTDC. Isn't that too advance? Shocked According to my search I should only be on 27-31 degree BTDC, right? Am I missing something here? Question Question
1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to tell what type of dizzy I have. It's a 009 with a cheap electronic ignition.

Ok. I tried to start again after 10 min and it will not start again. And this time no matter where I turn my dizzy I won't get a good spark. So I'm guessing it the electronic ignition (this are all brand new). Tomorrow I'll pick up a point and change it.
1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are doing is greek to me. Turning the distributor until you get a good spark? What is that supposed to do?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:
What you are doing is greek to me. Turning the distributor until you get a good spark? What is that supposed to do?

X2.......HUH???

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X3...

Its either good spark or not... Does not matter where distributor is set...

Static timing is about 7.5° BTDC and run timing should be 28°-32° BTDC at 3000 RPM (or so, advance full in)...

Anything else is just messing with your mind....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing issue. This can't be right. Reply with quote

first suspect is the chinese electronic points.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northof49 wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. We were in a parking lot and didn't have any timing light or test light with me. When I took off the center cable that coming from the coil and use a screw driver to test a spark, I did got some spark but they were very weak. So I played with the dizzy (kinda wiggle it) and it became stronger. This was while my wife was cranking the motor. So I installed it back and it fired right away. Yeah it's weird but that's what happen. But the second time I didn't get any spark at all, so I'm assuming the electronic point was bad.
1969 Buggy
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you are dead along side of road, bring #1 up to 7.5° BTDC mark on pulley, point rotor to notch in distributor body (#1 cylinder, rotate distributor and clamp it down), it will run there just fine till you can fine tune it.... Millions of VW aircooled are timed this way and run forever....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying a point to replace the electronic that's on my 009 but I just remember that I bought a BRUCK Distributor w/ vacuum advance when we were vacationing in Mexico. So I took off the 009 and replaced it with the Bruck distributor, adjusted the valve, checked the gap (.016"), static timed and it fired right away. Drove it around the block till it got hot, turned it off, waited for about 10 min and YES! It started again!! I drove it to my work and it ran good.

I did a search about the BRUCK brand and I found out that they are made in China. Well, most of the parts on this "junk motor" of mine are probably the lowest and cheapest parts that the builder can buy anyway so what the heck. At least it's running good for now and I have no more flat spot which I had before on 1st gear on the 009. I'll be amazed if this motor will reach 50k miles. Biggest mistake I made Evil or Very Mad

Almost forgot to thank you guys. Thankssssss. Smile
1969 Buggy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you turn the dist it will change the timing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: