Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help-broke down in cheticamp,nova scotia
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougfavreau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Help-broke down in cheticamp,nova scotia Reply with quote

1989 2.1 suddenly died on side of road. Cranks, but will not fire.checked fuel coming out of filter when cranked. Have not pulled plug yet to check spark. Checking out local garage in am. Family in motel. Long way from home in Vermont. Update

No local help in cheticamp. Considering towing to Sydney vw dealer. Definitely electrical. Coil checked out ok. Will check hall sender. Tach does not wiggle while cranking. Read that in some post late last night,that it was a way of confirming hall unit. Any and all help appreciated. Doug

Last edited by dougfavreau on Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well THAT will learn you to leave a gorgeous place like Vermont! Wink

Keep us posted, hopefully it is something minor and easily fixed!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this thread for contact info for Jeff's Old Volk's Home and other's in Nova Scotia.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587828&highlight=nova+scotia

I believe Jeff is far away from you, but perhaps he can recommend someone (relatively) close by or a long tow might be worth it.

www.jeffsoldvolkshome.com
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: cheticamp Reply with quote

Welcome to Nova Scotia! You couldn't have broken down in a friendlier part of the province! Smile

Check the coil main wire as well as the 4 small wires. I had an issue in June and one of the connectors on a small wire was loose. Unless they have done an amazing amount of road work I'm certain you have been bouncing over some rough roads and maybe its as simple as that.

You can contact Jeff or Shawn at Jeff's tomorrow morning. They are usually there at 7AM.

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this. Labour Day weekend and all, everyone is doing last gasp summer stuff. There is a good chance it is something simple. Spark, fuel and timing is what you need. Spark is easiest to check, so do that first at the coil wire then if that is good then pull a plug and check spark there. Next is fuel, 10 mm wrench and pull injectors on one side, then the other. Disconnect the electrical connectors on the other side then crank for a second or two. You are looking for a nice cone-shaped spray. Passenger side requires pulling the air box/MAF sensor. That whole bit takes 10 to 15 minutes if you are handy and have the tools. If all good so far check the MAF if you have a multimeter, since you have it off now anyway. Looking down from the top at the connector, with the pins facing away from you, left to right is 1 2 3 4. Resistance on pins 3 - 4 should be 500 and something. Then, pins 2 - 3 should be 500'ish then should change when you move the flap.

BUT, if it literally died instantly, then it is most likely electrical. Sounds like you checked the fuel supply to some extent already, so you need to check spark.

I have parts you can borrow to get you home. Good Luck and keep us posted.

RonC
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brings back not so fond memories for me of my trip to Nova Scotia in July. Jeff got me all fixed up and it ended
up being something really simple.....Water in my gas! The check valve seals on my expansion tanks failed and
water was pouring in during a severe rain storm while I was enroute there. Hasn't rained has it?

Good luck!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: breakdown Reply with quote

You need to ask Tim? It has rained for sure depending on where in the province you are. The seals huh? I was wondering...

Hopefully things are working out. Hey Ron, let me know if you need a copilot on this one!

B

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does fuelpump cycle when u turn ign on, if so pwr is getting to ecu .did it sputter/miss just as eng stopped or like u turnrd ign off? 1st would poinf fuel 2nd to electrical.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seals totally shot! Glad a had a spare set of tanks tucked away with good seals.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: cheticamp Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
Welcome to Nova Scotia! You couldn't have broken down in a friendlier part of the province! Smile

Me want to break down there anytime, me want to stay there ever....

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dougfavreau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: ECU failure Reply with quote

Just to finish the tale, broke down in Cheticamp, NS on Labour Day. Towed to Sydney VW, where they replaced the ECU over the course of 9 days. Still no luck. Towed to Jeff's old volks home,, where he replaced the ECU and had it up and running in three hours. 10 day trip turned into ordeal, but had to remind myself and the family we weren't in Syria getting shot at. Learned many lessons, first and foremost is to carry the Bentley!!!!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: ECU failure Reply with quote

some lessons are tougher than others..

now go out and change 100% of your fuel lines.. each and every inch. even the hidden highpressure line behind the firewall bulkhead.

Glad you made it out to NS and glad you made it home... life can of course be worse. not everyone who woke up this morning will make it thru the day alive..

peace. and happy travels.

dougfavreau wrote:
Just to finish the tale, broke down in Cheticamp, NS on Labour Day. Towed to Sydney VW, where they replaced the ECU over the course of 9 days. Still no luck. Towed to Jeff's old volks home,, where he replaced the ECU and had it up and running in three hours. 10 day trip turned into ordeal, but had to remind myself and the family we weren't in Syria getting shot at. Learned many lessons, first and foremost is to carry the Bentley!!!!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ECU failure Reply with quote

dougfavreau wrote:

If the first shop replaced the ECU and that did not fix it, and the second shop replaced THAT ECU and that did not fix it but they later got it running within three hours, what was the actual cause and fix? Just curious.
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a wrist slap but it isn't. It is just for future reference if anyone coming here reads this thread...

You should have posted your ongoing status here, or PM'd me or Brian. Brian (bjrogers86auto) and I were staged to drive to Cheticamp to help you out. We would have had a spare ECU, tools, and other components to get you on your way. Worst case, we would have had you convinced to just bite the bullet and go straight to Jeff's.

We want to help. Happy you got it sorted out.

RonC
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the info I received, the dealer bought a remanufactured ECU, and retuned it when it didn't start the van. I plugged my digitool into the van and it started right up! I even installed his ECU in one of my vans, it didn't start. So I pinned out all 25 pins before I installed a known good used ecu, everything checked out fine. (Although the O2 sensor signal wire had higher resistance than I liked to see)... So after chasing another shops ghosts, I replaced the ECU, it's all good. Plus I opened up the old one, it's certainly obviously fried!
Jeff
1990 Vanagon weekender Syncro AAZ
1987 Syncro Doka AAZ...soon to be TDI Smile
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1986 Weekender Syncro (Under construction)
1987 Westfalia (Under construction)
1987 Syncro Single cab
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: cheticamp Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
bjrogers86auto wrote:

Me want to break down there anytime, me want to stay there ever....

Ben

I agree with you Ben!
Jeff
1990 Vanagon weekender Syncro AAZ
1987 Syncro Doka AAZ...soon to be TDI Smile
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1986 Weekender Syncro (Under construction)
1987 Westfalia (Under construction)
1987 Syncro Single cab
dougfavreau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Nova Scotia breakdown Reply with quote

Thanks to all that participated in my education of what atight nit community of Samba members can provide. I do feel blessed!!! Doug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: