Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble finding specifics on Carb..( I searched)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Trouble finding specifics on Carb..( I searched) Reply with quote

I have a single port 1600 (70 Bay). I got it with a new carb, I am unaware of the brand. It is running rich so while the motor is out I want to re jet it.

My buddy is familiar with Carbs and will jet it for me but he is making me do the foot work.

First: I am having a very hard time finding JUST the jet kit for my carb on my motor.. all I can seem to find is whole carbs.

Second: Once I order said kit I'd like to know if there is a chart that exists that shows what jetting to do for my elevation (4400 feet).

Thanks for any help my eyes hurt from scrolling through numerous threads.

Here is a pic for good measure.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and here is what was inside my transmission bell housing..(TOB)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T/O bearings are relatively cheap (I keep telling myself) so that's not a huge loss, but a bummer.

Are you sticking to a 1600 Single Port? That carb is either a bocar or solex, doesn't matter get a refurbished one. Not new, refurb. http://volkzbitz.com/ talk to him direct and ask for some jet advice, this guy does carbs so I would trust what he has to say. If you're looking to have a growing motor, choose wisely.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check at ACN he has jets for most carbs :0)

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Fuel-System-VW-Carburetors-s/169.htm
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so ive just discovered I have an aftermarket 009 distributor. I dont believe it was the one intended for my motor ( was swapped out at some point). My Carb has vacuum ports to be connected to a vacuum assist distributor.

Carb is a Solex H30 31PICT on a 1600 single port.

Should I change the distributor and to what?

This one

http://www.busdepot.com/186504

or maybe this one

http://www.busdepot.com/300908
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble finding specifics on Carb..( I searched) Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:

Thanks for any help my eyes hurt from scrolling through numerous threads.

You need to know what jets are in your carb at present to know which ones you need to buy.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a part of the pressure plate, not the release bearing.

A common mix up on those carbs is the idle jets get switched.
The 50 should be in the "normal" spot and the 65 should be in the diagonal spot.

009s work well with the H30/31s.
I live and work on VWs @ 5500ft and don't normally re-jet Solex carbs on stock engines.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
That is a part of the pressure plate, not the release bearing.

A common mix up on those carbs is the idle jets get switched.
The 50 should be in the "normal" spot and the 65 should be in the diagonal spot.

009s work well with the H30/31s.
I live and work on VWs @ 5500ft and don't normally re-jet Solex carbs on stock engines.

Good to know I will check this.. So you recommend keeping the 009 dizzy? There is a line coming off the carb I think you can see in the pic that is plugged. Im not sure why.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That carb you have is typically a good aftermarket one vs. say a EMPI carb. I'm running one w/my 70's bus that has a 1776 in it. I'm also running a German 009 and it works ok. I personally prefer original vacuum distributors so I bought a used 205T distributor that was on these bus's back in 1970. I have the shim kit, new fiber washers and a NOS vacuum can for it as well. I also bought a used German steel/copper vacuum line too. Both of my bone stock bugs are running their original, rebuilt distributors 205k in the 67 and 205T in the 69. They are ssoo smooth and responsive. Some love the 009 and have good luck with them as well.

As far as your jetting, most of those 30/31's have big main jets out of the box. I bet your's has a 127.5 in it. If you're running a 1600 at that elevation, you should try a 116 or 120 in it. When I lived in Denver, I had both of my main jets set to 116 and both engines like it. Now in PHX, I'm running 125's in them.

http://www.vw-resource.com/mihov_index.html

This VW site I linked to has some great information on most of the carbs and distributors we use. They also have some jetting recommendations as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
That carb you have is typically a good aftermarket one vs. say a EMPI carb. I'm running one w/my 70's bus that has a 1776 in it. I'm also running a German 009 and it works ok. I personally prefer original vacuum distributors so I bought a used 205T distributor that was on these bus's back in 1970. I have the shim kit, new fiber washers and a NOS vacuum can for it as well. I also bought a used German steel/copper vacuum line too. Both of my bone stock bugs are running their original, rebuilt distributors 205k in the 67 and 205T in the 69. They are ssoo smooth and responsive. Some love the 009 and have good luck with them as well.

As far as your jetting, most of those 30/31's have big main jets out of the box. I bet your's has a 127.5 in it. If you're running a 1600 at that elevation, you should try a 116 or 120 in it. When I lived in Denver, I had both of my main jets set to 116 and both engines like it. Now in PHX, I'm running 125's in them.

http://www.vw-resource.com/mihov_index.html

This VW site I linked to has some great information on most of the carbs and distributors we use. They also have some jetting recommendations as well.

Ok great info. I stumbled across that site during my searches late last night. I started to get some estimated sizes for my jets but got hung up once i found that I didnt have the vacuum assist dizzy since it can vary on some of the jetting if you have it or not.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a close look at the side of that carb and let us know who makes it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Take a close look at the side of that carb and let us know who makes it.

brazilian solex
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good. Have you taken it off and pulled it apart? Blow it out and make sure it's all good before you start jetting. I'd figure out what it's supposed to have and see what it does have.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
That sounds good. Have you taken it off and pulled it apart? Blow it out and make sure it's all good before you start jetting. I'd figure out what it's supposed to have and see what it does have.

yea thats what im doing ATM. Im thinking I may have the correct numbers for the jets I will need.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so Current Jets installed on Carb

Idle fuel Jet - 65

Auxiliary Fuel jet- 50

Main -120

Air correction- 125

So again I am running rich, I would rather be a little rich then too lean. So where to go from here to get a good mixture as well as pass smog. Thanks!!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:

Idle fuel Jet - 65

Auxiliary Fuel jet- 50

Main -120

Air correction- 125

So again I am running rich, I would rather be a little rich then too lean. So where to go from here to get a good mixture as well as pass smog. Thanks!!

Those are all stock jets but I'm surprised it had only a 120 main.

Question, how do you know it's running rich? Smell? Soot on the exhaust tips? Was the carb adjusted correctly when it was running? What's the compression like? Where the valves adjusted? How are the spark plugs, cap, rotor, points, etc? If you're not sure of any of these things, I'd start there. Adjust the valves. Check the compression. If the compression is good, replace all the tune up stuff if you're not sure how old it is. Cap, rotor, points, Condenser, spark plug wires, etc.. Then adjust the carb to spec.

Is it a 1600 engine? If it is, I'd be leery to go lower than a 120 main with a 1600 in a heavy bus. As you stated, you don't want to be lean in that situation.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:

Where in the "United States" are you. Depending on how the smog tests are done, we will recommend different setups. I loved my 009 and 30/31 combo. But if I was testing in California, I would go with the vacuum-only distributor (which plays well with your carb) and gives you a slightly more retarded idle than an SVDA or 009-style unit. That will heat up your idle combustions and give a more complete burn. It will also give you a little more complete burn at partial throttle cruise where the other test is done. Same with Arizona, except I don't think they do the idle portion.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
khalimadeath wrote:

Idle fuel Jet - 65

Auxiliary Fuel jet- 50

Main -120

Air correction- 125

Those are all stock jets but I'm surprised it had only a 120 main.

Question, how do you know it's running rich? Smell? Soot on the exhaust tips? Was the carb adjusted correctly when it was running? What's the compression like? Where the valves adjusted? How are the spark plugs, cap, rotor, points, etc? If you're not sure of any of these things, I'd start there. Adjust the valves. Check the compression. If the compression is good, replace all the tune up stuff if you're not sure how old it is. Cap, rotor, points, Condenser, spark plug wires, etc.. Then adjust the carb to spec.

Is it a 1600 engine? If it is, I'd be leery to go lower than a 120 main with a 1600 in a heavy bus. As you stated, you don't want to be lean in that situation.

Well 3 of the 4 plugs were fouled pretty bad. Black as hell. All of the above mentioned items are being replaced. The smell combined with reoccurring backfire made me believe that it was running rich however since the jets are stock I may just run them until I adjust the valves ect and see where I am at. I am in Reno NV so frequent weather changes and varying temperature here. Im not too worried about smog.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What plugs are you running?
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
What plugs are you running?

there was some old Bosch ones in there. I will post pics of them later.. However I decided to go with some NGK copper's for the new ones, and gap e'm at .024
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving this thread to avoid starting a new one.

I am finally getting my bus going after a long suspension overhaul, I started it up after it sat for a while. I need to time it because it was running like crap. Upon initial startup it was loading up at idle then idling back down. Once it warmed up it stopped that, I messed with the choke to keep it alive, then turned down the idle. Once I tried to drive it kept dying, I think its flooding cause I can smell the fuel. I am now pretty sure the timing is off. I set the points in my 009 distributor and now I have to time it.

I am using this link for info

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm#A5560

What is the recommended timing based on my set up?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: