Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air conditioner for camping
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Air conditioner for camping Reply with quote

I have been looking for a air conditioning option while camping for a while. A Window unit does not fit well on a split bus door (like the bay guys go) and I was really trying not to do a ton of fabrication.

This option works well. 8,000 btu portable LG ac. They are not very efficient because they create negative pressure (sucking all the air out of the space and forcing new air through every crack and opening) and the exhaust tube heats up the front cab from lack of insulation. On a 90F day in my garage, after about 1 hr, the temp dropped to 72. This was a high humidity day and I had the garage door open. It’s a little loud but not bad on low. My 2000 watt Honda inverter generator runs it just fine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the prototype holder for the exhaust tube made from an old campaign sign.

I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!

As far as the window unit goes, if whoever is reading this already has one lying around and wants to do it cheap, there is one way I know of to use one. I saw a guy with a piece of wood fit to the rear hatch with a hole cut for a small window unit. When he got to the campsite he opened the hatch and set it up. It was ice-cold in there. If you have safari windows, you may be able to rig something like this there as well.

Yours looks MUCH better though!
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one for about 4 months and finally got to use it last weekend while camping at St. Andrews Park in panama city beach. It was a lifesaver as it was 95 degrees and didn't cool down hardly at all at night!!!! Mine is very similar, but it's made by soleus air. Mine fits between the walk through seats (have to remove the passenger side seat bottom), and vents out the window just like yours. Even made a mount for the exhaust very similar to yours. I routed the edges of an old piece of siding, so it fits snug, and the window holds it in place.

One thing to mention, when camping with low humidity, the water reservoir will do just fine, but if the humidity is high (like it was at the beach), I had to empty the reservoir 3 times the first night we used it!!! The next morning I went to the hardware store and bought some tubing and just routed the drain through the master cylinder fill hole and slept comfortably the rest of the trip without having to drain it.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about one of those units the people with those little teardrop campers use? they are external, so no issue with space or noise. climate right makes one, they are really dog house heater and cooler systems, they cool 400 cubic feet. Friend of mine uses one on his korean war era dodge with a comm box on it.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: