Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hail Repair - Anything I should know?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Hail Repair - Anything I should know? Reply with quote

We got hit by some hail recently and my van got some dings. It doesn't look that bad thanks to the westy top and the square shape - mostly small dings along that ledge that sticks out on the sides. In total there are probably 30-40 very small dings and one dent on the slider where it cracked the paint. You can see the dings in the right light at the right angles, but you could miss them if you weren't looking for it.

Geico came out and did an estimate and gave me a $2K check. I visited a shop and they thought it will probably be double the estimate. The guy said that happens a lot with hail as the adjusters aren't very good at estimating hail damage. He told me they can get the claim adjusted when they do the work. I was originally hoping I would be able to get just the most noticable dings fixed and touch up a few pre-existing things, all for the $2k. But apparently not.

They said it doesn't work that way, they can do everything in the claim or I could take the $2K and try to get whatever work I want done. But $2K isn't enough money to do very much, so that isn't an option. BTW, the slider needs conventional repair and repaint because of one dent/crack. The rest I guess they do PDR.

They said I could pay for the additional work but it sounded too expensive to me as I pointed stuff out. It seems dumb to leave a smooth dent in the sliding door that was already there or not do minor touch ups while they are doing some painting anyway. But I guess they can't substitute pre-existing damage for new damage.

Does this sound about right? I haven't gone through this before and wonder if there is anything that would be good to know ahead of time?
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures or it ain't so.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just me, but I'd take that $2000 and upgrade something else and live with the dings. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting to know that the fiberglas westy top can handle hail better than the sheetmetal.

After hail comes through, most shops are swamped, and so are the PDR folks. PDR folks travel to areas after a hailstorm and make a killing - sometimes a years's worth of income in a month. So it may be nobody's hungry and the hail damage repair folks are in the "high profit quote or I'll pass on the work" mode. A month from now the same work might be $1500. On the other hand, if it was damaged to a level higher than the check by quite a margin, you might consider NOT cashing the check (cashing may mean you've accepted full claim and cannot ask for more) and talking to your adjuster to get a proper estimate done now that the work load of the hail damage has eased.

I've also had folks tell me that mild hail damage will look quite a bit better simply by parking it in the hot sun for a few days as the metal memory works a bit. That's about all I know about vehicle hail damage, other than I'm so glad it has never happened to me. We don't get much hail up here.

Got caught in only quarter inch hail on a bike ride once and could not believe how much it hurt - nowhere to hide. My buddy and I could hardly talk due to the pain as we huddled there on the side of the road in a weird state of disbelief until it was over. Later we ran into another buddy who was covered with welts. He'd been in a fast downhill section when it hit and in the 150 feet it took him to stop, the added speed of his bike made it much worse.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that hail storm between you and Laramie, Insane! Several car lots there took a huge beating. Im sorry about your van, the front range doesn't get much bad weather but when it does...look out! Shocked
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, unfortunately it's pretty common for insurance companies (especially Geico, they are the bottom feeders of the auto insurance industry) to write a very low initial settlement check. By law they need to pay you what it takes to properly repair the van. Take it to the shop that you think will do the best job for you. Give them the check from Geico. Tell them that you want the best possible job and that if they have any problems getting paid form Geico to let you know. If any problems arise you might need to call them up and remind them that as the insurer they are responsible to cover the costs of properly repairing the van. If they flat out refuse something that the shop says is necessary to do the job tell them that you will be filing a complaint with your states department of insurance or the insurance commissioner (every state has one). You are entitled to have your car properly repairs and the shop should get paid a fair price for ALL the work they do. Don't give in! You paid for the policy, now they have to uphold thier end of the contract. Good luck!
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hail: we have just arrived in the CO Springs/Denver and soon Boulder/Ft Collins area. Couldn't believe how many "Hail Repair" signs and Hail-proof Siding, and car dealers with hail damage minor dent specials (on new cars).
Assumption: there is a lot of hail on the Front Range?

And we were worried about tornados when we went through the Mid West!

Geoff
88 Westy
Currently beside Clear Creek in Golden CO.
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hail: we have just arrived in the CO Springs/Denver and soon Boulder/Ft Collins area. Couldn't believe how many "Hail Repair" signs and Hail-proof Siding, and car dealers with hail damage minor dent specials (on new cars).

And we were worried about tornados when we went through the Mid West!

Geoff
88 Westy
Currently beside Clear Creek in Golden CO.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seek out and locate Dentbusters in your area.

They do hail repair without requiring paint work.

Seen the process---it's truely amazing.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfram wrote:

Not neccessarily, those signs and businesses pop up anywhere, anytime there is a major hail storm - even if you only get one every ten years.

My mom and her husband moved to my town just in time for "the big hailstorm". Ping pong ball sized hail ruined half the roofs in town and just as many cars. My mom's knee-jerk reaction was to build a garage big enough to store their school bus sized RV in so it didn't get damage "in the next hail storm". That was about 6 years ago and we haven't had a touch of hail since. It's a great garage for working on the Westy.

Dave, what you're describing sounds very much like what my wife went through when getting the hail damage on her Jetta fixed EXCEPT that the body shop was able to get more money from the insurance company to fix all of the hail damage. The quote was originally about 1/2 what was needed to fix the damage and in the end the body shop got paid in full from the insurance company and we didn't have to pay anything over our deductable.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised the hail did any damage Dave, must have been a real bad one. Hope it gets worked out.

Wolfram, I get a couple major hail storms at my house every year in NW Denver. I'd say it is common here. This spring I had larger than golf ball sized hail. My subaru looked like a golf ball from all the hail it received over the years but the steel on the vanagons have been bulletproof.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clausen makes a product, a polyester primer, called All You Need.
It can be used to spot fill dings from hail damage in 2 or 3 building applications and sanded flat.
It works great Exclamation

After purchasing and using my paintless dent removal systems from Wurth, I will say that if the person knows what they are doing, many small dings can easily be dealt with, at a low cost and with excellent results.

Wish I was closer.
Hope this helps.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wondered if there is some resilient UV resistant coating that resists hail better than a hard rooftop. Is that a reasonable solution for hail prone areas? Because I would be willing to paint my roof with such a product.
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your van Dave - bummer Crying or Very sad

I'd do what others are suggesting and get geico to own-up to the repairs.

raoul mitgong wrote:
Surprised the hail did any damage Dave, must have been a real bad one. Hope it gets worked out.

Wolfram, I get a couple major hail storms at my house every year in NW Denver. I'd say it is common here. This spring I had larger than golf ball sized hail. My subaru looked like a golf ball from all the hail it received over the years but the steel on the vanagons have been bulletproof.

-d

What raoul said ^^

We get some hail every year here in the front range. We just had a medium-scale hail a week or so ago (probably the same that got Dave's van) with some hail in the ping-pong ball size range. Our Subaru's are in the garage fortunately (or neighbors Forester sustained a couple dings) but the syncro is out in the open. Thanks to thick 1985 sheet metal it was fine Dancing

I've been through a couple REALLY harsh hail storms here in the Boulder area over the last 17yrs - it can get CRAZY

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can't really see all the dings in photos but the storm lasted at least a half hour and totalled (for insurance purposes) quite a few cars in my area. It was bad enough that I didn't want to go out in the middle of it to try to cover up my van and car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The body shop wasn't concerned about getting a supplemental from Geico for the full amount needed and they sound like they will do a thorough job. They don't tape off for example so will be pulling windows and anything near where they have to paint the slider. And they are painting it just because a small crack in the paint. They guarrantee their work for the life of the van, etc.

But good point about maybe not fixing it. I just wish the adjuster amount had been higher, I would have more options. Now the only thing I can do is have it fixed properly but not address anything that was already there.

I went to 3 places, the PDR guy said he wouldn't even be able to do it. Both shops are scheduled out into September, so I have time to decide. I have appointments at both for now. Maybe the sun will smooth out some of the dents by then.

Seem dumb not to fix it though since it is basically free money and not fixing it only gives me a couple grand. I loose my comprehensive coverage too if I don't fix it. I wonder is some Rhein's and RMW bumpers would be better than the dings?

I guess the advice to just find the best place to get the work done is the best. It would be nice if they would do a few extras for free since they are getting the work, but this place seemed very by the book.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell from the photos, but if it wasn't that noticeable, I would be tempted to put that check (or hopefully a bigger check) from Geico toward a Propex, SS exhaust, Bumpers, a parts van...
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by davevickery on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Hey, dave, have you read this? : Reply with quote

http://gerry.vanagon.com/files/auto-insurance-madness.html
Detailing the saga of dealing with his insurance company, succesfully.
Get at least three comparable values. High ones. Good luck.
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll google this after I hit submit but I seem to remember something about hail damage removal using the following "at home" technique for dents where there is no cracking in the paint:

(this involves using dry ice. pretty sure it's readily available. proceed with caution)

Park in the sun, the more direct the better. Allow the sheet metal to get as hot as it is going to. Apply (using the appropriate tools (duct tape covered BBQ tongs, perhaps??)) small pellets of dry ice onto or against the dings.

Seems to me the dry ice causes the metal to contract, quickly, and pulls the dent back to original plane.

IDK, I may have dreamt this, but I vaguely remember it from somewhere.

Time to check google...
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: