Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese brake shoes
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Chinese brake shoes Reply with quote

I have rebuilt bus brake systems plenty of times over the last 25 years and the brakes always worked good. The shop/garage that I go to stopped being able to get brake shoes that were re-lined (the type that I always used) some years ago. They now stock only new brake shoes that are made in China. The owner said that there has been no problem with them, but I totally rebuilt my buses brake system, the other day, including installing a new master cylinder, bled the shit out of it, and the brakes noticeably have less stopping power.
Has anyone had good luck with these brake shoes and who sells better brake shoes?
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate your attention to originality. In my experience, I have been unable to achieve solid, symmetrical braking out of new shoes (or new to the drums) until they have been significantly burned-in. After I install a new set of shoes, I burn em' in until they smoke, then adjust em' and burn em' in again. I highly doubt that the materials used -even in China- as brake science evolves, could be noticeably less effective.

As a rule, I stockpile and reuse almost 100% of clean, low-use old shoes, and have never had even one lining come off.

Have faith, and stomp the hell out of that brake! Burn them suckers in!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you having the shoes professionally arc'd to match the drums? If not then this is a significant part of your issue.

having shoes arc'd to drums is always ideal, whereas trying to let them wear in to shape can cause other issues, such as overheating small areas of the shoe and potentially glazing the shoe material.

finding a good shop to arc shoes is tough but worth it (they should be able to turn your drums at the same time)
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:

having shoes arc'd to drums is always ideal... finding a good shop to arc shoes is tough but worth it (they should be able to turn your drums at the same time)

X2.
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back 15 or more years, I was not able to find anyone who would arc brake shoes (breathing dust from asbestos linings had been a problem, but asbestos is no longer used) . A mechanic told me that brake shoes are designed to fit in brake drums that have not been turned, so it is harder to break them in when the drums have been turned and have a bigger arc. As I noted earlier, the old style re-lined brake shoes that I bought over the years always worked fine from the get go. The front and rear shoes that I removed went into the garbage container. I wish that I had kept them and cleaned them up, but that is hindsight.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the places that reline shoes for 18-wheelers.

They relined some shoes for me that you cannot buy, turned the drums and arc'd the shoes too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/brakerelining.htm

They can reline your shoe tables and arc the rebuilt units to your drums. You do need to send in your drums too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: