Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air cooled Vanagon engine
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riviera King
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Air cooled Vanagon engine Reply with quote

I need some help. I have an 82 aircooled engine that came from a Vanagon. i put in my type 2. It runs great but it slings oil everywhere on the top of the engine. I can't find the leak. I have checked the seals on the front and back and replaced them. I replaced all the o rings on the push tubes when I had the engine out. i think it might have something to do with positive crank valve pressure. Does anyone have an aircooled vanagon that could take some pics for me of the engine so i can see how the air breather is set up. i have a progressive carb not fuel injection if that helps any.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Weber progressive is not helping....you may need to install an oil breather box of some sort.......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Been here?

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses/VanagonEngine.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riviera King
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very helpful. The hose coming off the breather on mine goes to the carb like an old style. What is that yours is going into?
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a compression test. ITs likely oil is being forced out of the crankcase
becasue excessive compression is getting passed the rings.
Riviera King
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check compression. The part that has the most oil is the black breather part just to back of the fan housing. We I don't have a line like the picture shows. Mine goes to the carb. If you follow the hose up toe the large black tube in the back where it connects you will see another part i don't have on mine.
Riviera King
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question just came to me. Has anyone every made the change from FI to Carb on this type of engine and if so how did you handle the breather situation?
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the crank pulley seal too. Do you have the same amount of oil behind the bottom of the fan housing? The ratwell site is a great resource for the type 4 engine.

Is there oil on the engine lid? The spray pattern may lead to the culprit.
Riviera King
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a lot of research and talked to a few shops. looks like it is the crankcase pressure. I just have to figure out what's causing the increased pressure. It was suggested I do a leak down test so I have to figure out what that is. I know it's a compression test while looking for leaks but i've never done one so i'll have to figure that out. I've heard it could be caused by a leak in the seals around the pistons so there's a starting point. I did see some blow by when I took off the head but we cleaned it up and fixed the seal so it might be somewhere else. Any additional advice is still very welcomed. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: