Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternative starter for diesel Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagemotion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Alternative starter for diesel Vanagon Reply with quote

Slowly my 82 Vanagon starter is going out. I’m using the bulky 1.6 Diesel starter and it turns my AHU TDI motor well. The problem is the solenoid or one-way clutch (starter spins but intermittently without turning motor)

Now I’m looking for an alternative inexpensive starter that fits without modification. Would a starter from a gasoline Audi motor fit? How about Bosch BMW starter? I looked at a Mercedes 6 Cylinder Bosch starter, it would have the power and even the drive gear is the same. Unfortunately the mounting depth is off.

Any suggestions?
CLK Wheels 215/70/16
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bosch replacement starter I got for my diesel was a torque reduction starter. It was half the size as the original and so far works great even with the larger 1.9 diesel. I believe the bosch reman number is SR 28 X.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bosch SR28X number applies to both the old large diameter starter and the smaller later one that most people get when they order that part. It is just a application number, for replacement purposes, and either starter fits the application. Maybe all the big ones are gone from the Bosch rebuilt channels but I doubt it since big ones still get turned in as cores.

Mark

rsxsr wrote:
The bosch replacement starter I got for my diesel was a torque reduction starter. It was half the size as the original and so far works great even with the larger 1.9 diesel. I believe the bosch reman number is SR 28 X.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I realize it is the same number, but wanted to let the poster know there was good chance if he went with another Bosch Vanagon diesel reman, it would be of the more modern compact designs. Are they better? I can't say. They are easier to lift into place. World Pac shows the photo of the later design and their pictures are usually accurate.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if either is really better either. I just don't want someone to think that because a starter offered to them is a Bosch with a SR28X sticker that it will for sure be the smaller newer one. I have both types here with that sticker. Both came from WorldPac but not that recently.

mark

rsxsr wrote:
Yes, I realize it is the same number, but wanted to let the poster know there was good chance if he went with another Bosch Vanagon diesel reman, it would be of the more modern compact designs. Are they better? I can't say. They are easier to lift into place. World Pac shows the photo of the later design and their pictures are usually accurate.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I'm not sure I understand. I was a gas now I am an AZZ 1.9L TD. Should I change starters, or is that something that was probably done during the conversion? I don't know everything but am keen to learn. I'm getting better with the glow lites Wink .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daizee, we have not seen pictures of your install, but if a diesel bellhousing was utilized for a 50 degree install, then I am pretty sure the installer would have had to upgrade the starter at the same time. I don't believe the gasser starter even fits the diesel bellhousing. The diesel engine compression is at least twice that of a gas engine. While a gas starter might turn the engine over, I doubt it would last for long. Someone here, was making an adapter for adding a high torque starter to the gasser bellhousing. I don't recall who it was.
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westyventures makes the adapter for the Tdi Bosch starter on tue wbx bellhousing. By far the best way to go if you don't have the diesel bellhousing. Nothing wrong with the stock diesel starter that I know about, stay away from the her reduction starters that were popular with early diesel swaps... Junk!
DerPänzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Starters? Reply with quote

Hi, Im not sure how old is that post but its interesting for me, Im doing an engine swap on my vanagon, Its a aba (gas) engine but im using a diesel bellhousing. Can I use the 2.1 oem starter or not??? Does the 2.1 starter fit directly to the diesel bell housing????? (Excuse my english )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Starters? Reply with quote

Welcome and your english is good.

to answer, NO you can't use the 2.1 oem starter on your Diesel bellhousing.
you need to use a Bosch SR28X from the 1982-1983 US market or 1981-1991 European market vanagon diesel. any of the regular vanagon or import shops should be able to get it for you.
wolfburg wrote:
Hi, Im not sure how old is that post but its interesting for me, Im doing an engine swap on my vanagon, Its a aba (gas) engine but im using a diesel bellhousing. Can I use the 2.1 oem starter or not??? Does the 2.1 starter fit directly to the diesel bell housing????? (Excuse my english )

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerPänzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: and,,, Reply with quote

If I use the diesel starter, and the mk3 aba engine, wich flywheel can I use? the mk3 or the vanagon 2.1? here were I live its very dificult to find a diesel one....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.1 vanagon flywheel will not work. It has 5 crank bolts and the inline-4s have 6. I'm somewhat ignorant about the VW gas engine components but I thought that the MK3 ABA had the pressure plate bolted to the crank and the flywheel bolted to the pressure plate. No way for that to work in a vanagon. No FedEx in Puerto Rico?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
I'm somewhat ignorant about the VW gas engine components but I thought that the MK3 ABA had the pressure plate bolted to the crank and the flywheel bolted to the pressure plate. No way for that to work in a vanagon.

That is correct.
Certainly through me for a loop when I removed it -I was like > Confused
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
DerPänzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

yep. we have fed ex, but heavy weight ítem cost too much.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote

wolfburg wrote:
yep. we have fed ex, but heavy weight ítem cost too much.

If it fits in a large flat rate box it will be very reasonable.
Med box inside-13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" - $12.65
Large size is also reasonable.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: