Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera camper
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slow Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Riviera camper Reply with quote

School me on riviera campers. I'm looking at one right now and I just want to make sure it's actually one. I looked at the mcode and didn't see anything that indicated a camper or anything. It has a pop top, but nothing on the mcode that indicated a westy. It looks to have had og camper interior, but who knows.

29 5

425 025 177

Uy 2312 131383 713xxxx
100 years from now when they have reverse atom regeneration attractor technology perfected and in a hand held back yard mechanic's price range, someone will dig up this thread and go, "What were those guys thinking? The whole thing was all there just waiting to be re-atomized. Funny how easily they cut them up back then."

74 911
72 914
65 13w Deluxe
60 Ragtop
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a big help if you post pictures of your Riviera (interior & exterior) so that others can check its features.

I own a 1966 Riviera and I have seen a few other Rivieras with a slight difference in design.
Slow Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that's the tough part. It is stripped. I've read that they have a lower profile poptop, and long window. I'll see if he has the riviera style passenger windows. I'll snap a few pics and post them up
100 years from now when they have reverse atom regeneration attractor technology perfected and in a hand held back yard mechanic's price range, someone will dig up this thread and go, "What were those guys thinking? The whole thing was all there just waiting to be re-atomized. Funny how easily they cut them up back then."

74 911
72 914
65 13w Deluxe
60 Ragtop
ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this website and see if your bus matches one of the pictures of a Riviera posted.

http://www.rivieraregistry.com/index.php
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pages of discussion on Riviera campers:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=260733&highlight=riviera

I suspect yours is not a Riviera, as the port code is neither UP nor US
Slow Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that it might not be. The long window has the jalousie windows on the side instead of the slide style. but here's a few pics.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The one website said Riviera buses have a lower profile poptop. Is this the lower style?

Some of the trim

Divider?

What's left of the table mount

I read somewhere that Rivieras have a weird type of screw

74 911
72 914
65 13w Deluxe
60 Ragtop
Slow Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read incorrectly... if it does have one of these long windows with jalo on the sides, the Riviera Registry says it is a Riviera:

74 911
72 914
65 13w Deluxe
60 Ragtop
buzzingsounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Ok Who is going to do the riviera registry ?? Reply with quote

Ok Who is going to do the riviera registry ??

and

Isn't a poptop Riviera kinda rare? I have a 66.. can't find many others.. a few.. but
76 Westy pop top
62 Rag bug black
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brokenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a Sportsmobile. The main dining table mount is the same as mine which is a SM

those 2 snap clamps hold it in place while stowed and the long bracket above it is used to hold the table in place for your dining pleasure.
buzzingsounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: According to the book VW Camper by David Eccles Reply with quote

According to this book on the camper.companies you are actually both right on certain points.
ASI/Riviera used the Sport mobile pop top so they probably used the table brackets too. However, the Riv version has the long skinny picture window on the drivers side. I see u have a hole that wild match the 1 in mine. Although the kits were usually done in panels, customers who already had a splitty and wanted the kit cld get their splitties fit w the kit, that's why there are some non panels and explains why there are a few pre1965s.chapter 27.asi/rivieras have the large picture window. Congrats, u have an asi/ riviera pop top like mine
76 Westy pop top
62 Rag bug black
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: