Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Short parking garage... need new sunroof
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Short parking garage... need new sunroof Reply with quote

Now I know I've driven my Westy into this underground parking complex (Fremont PCC in Seattle) a few times. I guess that was my last Westy though. Or at least before getting the GoWesty lifter springs.

Anyway, I tried searching the Classifieds here for a replacement new or used sunroof (stock Westy item) and came up zip. Any ideas? Anyone have one they no longer need?

Stephen

Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm finding what I'm looking for at GoWesty and Van Cafe. I needed to search for "Skylight".

At Van Cafe, they have the GoWesty aftermarket version going for $30 (same price as GoWesty) yet they have a $40 and $42 version (clear and tinted) which are from The Skylight Guy, supposedly more flexible plastic. Any thoughts on this style? Anyone done the replacement?

Thanks,

Stephen

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my skylight with a "smoked" one from theskylightguy (sold through Van Cafe). It almost takes more time to reply to your thread than it does to replace a skylight - super easy.

Two peices of plastic? Do you mean it's a double layer / sandwich type of window like the original? I really wanted a tinted skylight when I bought mine and they were only available as the single layer style at that time. I don't really think there is a functional difference between the two. The skylight is the least of our worries when it comes down to sound / temperature insulation concerns.

You might consider replacing any of the other parts while your at it.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also used a replacement from Trevor.

You've seen his ads here from time to time (about every 10th thread comes up with his banner.

Here's his site: http://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/

I think the single layer is vastly superior to the original two-layer -- thicker, more durable, less prone to fogging, etc.

As noted, easy to install.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This member advertises here. I see his banner add occasionally. http://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gang, got it sorted. Y'all rock!

Stephen

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: