Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 VW Beetle Distributor ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
doonkoon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: 1976 VW Beetle Distributor ? Reply with quote

Hi guy's, need a little help with dist. I have 76 FI with dvad duel advance I think it advance has a problem with the retarded side of it. Anyway being I have that set up it has to be set at 5 ATDC initial timing so don't lean out the motor. I was wondering about a few different dist. and not sure of difference etc. One is the VW06, another DST 946 and 009. So not sure which one is the better of the 3 and wondering if should get one with single vacuum, no vacuum? and if no vacuum what would the initial timing be set at? I was told 10 degrees advanced? and I guess with the single advance be set at 5 or 7 BTDC? Also wouldn't this give me better gas mileage and also more bottom power? Thanks Frank
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Dual Vac dist was 5 degrees ATDC but if the RETARD (bigger hose) is not working with a possible leak just remove the hose...block off the nipple at the intake box with a small piece of hose with a screw inside of it and set timing to 7.5 degrees BTDC Smile ...should work fore you.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the test of the vacuum retard. Set the timing to 5º ATDC and remove the retard line at the distributor vacuum canister. The timing should immediately jump to 7.5º BTDC. Reattachment should immediately bring it back to 5º ATDC.

A better way to time your existing DVDA to act like a SVDA would be to unhook the vacuum lines and set the timing to about 30º BTDC when all of the centrifical advance it has to offer is all in at about 3800 RPMs. Let it loaf back to idle and then just use the advance line. Plug the retard line at the throttle body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: