Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering box adjustment 67 bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Steering box adjustment 67 bug Reply with quote

Hello
Last night I was parked facing down hill with my wheel turned facing the curb. When I left, I made the mistake of turning my steering wheel while at a dead stop, and I felt the steering slip a little bit as I was turning the wheel. Sure enough when I drove away the steering wheel is no longer centered more like 45 degrees while driving in a straight line.

I checked the pitman arm and tightened the screw on top of the steering box which took up some of the free play. Do you think it's safe to drive as is? Is the steering box just worn out? I am hesitant to drive it again after I felt the steering slip...
Thanks
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe to drive? Do you feel lucky?
check the connections at the steering coupler.
Turning the wheel at a stop should have nothing to do with anything except something not right
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dodesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Safe to drive? Do you feel lucky?
check the connections at the steering coupler.
Turning the wheel at a stop should have nothing to do with anything except something not right

I just checked the steering coupler, every thing was pretty tight already. The tie rod ends and tie rods are good as well.
Dodesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically now my question is
Can the steering box being out of adjustment cause the steering to slip?
I tightened the slotted stud on top of the steering box about 1 turn
MacLeod Willy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: steering box Reply with quote

NO, something moved. Sounds like the spline coupler at the rag joint.
Spin the steering wheel to full stop and force it while someone is watching with a light. This sounds fairly serious IMO.

The adjustment on the box is to remove freeplay at the CENTRE position only. Anything off centre will need some kind of play. This helps return the wheels to straight.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering box adjustment 67 bug Reply with quote

Dodesvw wrote:
Do you think it's safe to drive as is?

Absolutely not! Shocked

Another thing to check is the big nut holding the steering wheel on. If it is loose, there is a good chance you stripped the splines on the steering wheel and/or steering column.
Dodesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is still definitely slipping...I just parked with my tire on the curb and it doesn't take much effort to get the wheel to slip. Now I guess time to take stuff apart.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your box isn't clamped tightly to the beam it can cause this slippage.

There aren't many things that can make you totally lose control of the car. THIS IS ONE OF THEM!
VolkswagenVMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't drive the car till you figure it out!!!!!!!
1966 Bug early
1966 Bug late
2000 New Beetle 2.0l 200,000 miles and going!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dodesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely won't be driving it until this is fixed. Last night I had my dad watch as I forced the steering wheel against the curb. When it slipped, the steering shaft going into the box spun, however the pitman arm did not move. Is this something that can be fixed with adjustment or do I need a new box?
Thanks again everyone
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the shaft going into the box moved but the arm did not then the gears inside are shot. I suggest taking the box off and opening it up. IF there is no damage whichI doubt then rebuild it and adjust it. If there is damage then either get new parts or replace the box. I would simple replace the box. This IS a big deal.

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
Dodesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:
If the shaft going into the box moved but the arm did not then the gears inside are shot. I suggest taking the box off and opening it up. IF there is no damage whichI doubt then rebuild it and adjust it. If there is damage then either get new parts or replace the box. I would simple replace the box. This IS a big deal.

Ok thanks that makes sense. My local vw place has the trw steering box in stock. I've read mixed reviews about them. What's everyone's opinion on the trw box?
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know also.I need to replace mine due to the gap i nthe turning I have. it is getting worse and is fine at slow speeds but in the high way can be a danger.

Has anyone had any luck with other than TRW boxes?

1964 Convertible Bug - 1600cc SP engine with a stock H30/31 Carb and SVDA Distributor - Swing Arm Highway Flyer Tranny, Gene Berg's Temperature Dipstick, 2.5" drop spindles, 2" narrowed adjustable front end. Chromed OEM fan tower.
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodesvw wrote:
Ok thanks that makes sense. My local vw place has the trw steering box in stock. I've read mixed reviews about them. What's everyone's opinion on the trw box?

It certainly can't be any worse than what you have now! Wink
Dodesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb03830 wrote:
I would like to know also.I need to replace mine due to the gap i nthe turning I have. it is getting worse and is fine at slow speeds but in the high way can be a danger.

Has anyone had any luck with other than TRW boxes?

I started another thread about the trw boxes and someone posted a link with a bunch more threads on them...reading through them now
Dodesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:
Dodesvw wrote:

It certainly can't be any worse than what you have now! Wink

Actually...it can. Just got done installing it. And it had more free play than my old box did. I would say about 6" at the steering wheel. As I adjust it it just gets harder to turn...no reduction in free play
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new box needs no adjustment. You have overtightened it and are probably ruining it with every turn of the wheel.

Your play is elsewhere. I am guessing you may be missing the clamps at one end of the coupler or another, or maybe they are stripped and loose.
tb03830
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the samething, so I installed my box and moved on aftereplaceing the entire front end of my bug, but it got worse as time goes on. After about 6 month I began to adjust it and it has never worked right. I am begining to believe that TRW has a bad product.

rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OG steering box on my '67 Ghia finally ran out of adjustment (screw was flush with locknut), so I recently installed a new TRW box. The free play on-center is now within tolerance, but the steering is quite stiff. Before installing the new box, I checked the amount of play between the input & output shafts and found it to be minimal, but there was one thing that did seem a bit unusual. As I turned the input shaft, it didn't feel smooth. It felt somewhat like a ratchet...clicking from detent to detent as it turned. My old box felt the same way. Is it normal for a steering box to feel like that?
I attributed the stiff steering feel to the fact that the box is brand new, as are all the tie-rod ends. Will the steering feel eventually lighten up as all the components start wearing in a bit?
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may loosen up. Mine was replaced about 6-7 years ago with a TRW box and it was also stiff. I did not tighten it, figuring it would ease up a bit, and it did.

More boxes are ruined by overtightening than almost any other cause. This is often because they don't understand it has to be adjusted with wheels off the ground, steering wheel turned 90 degrees. It is designed to have far more play when turned than when centered. You should also check that the box is centered, center the steering wheel on the shaft splines, and THEN set the tie rod ends to set toe-in and center the drive wheels.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: