Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Some reality
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Some reality Reply with quote

Well, I may regret posting this. 2 years ago we bought a toyota mini motorhome. I love my westy best. But each time we start planning a trip, it's
"We need to take this, that won't fit, we better take the toyota" My westy has gone around town, gotten washed, waxed and admired, but hasn't gone traveling. We are sucked into the comforts of water heater, grey/black water waste, space and room, bathroom, and in the winter, a furnace. Sigh.

I don't want to sell her, but I'm starting to think it's a shame someone who would use this beauty of a westy isn't the owner! Yeah, I'm thinking it's time to sell a dependable westfalia.. Sad

The toyota would NEVER be as cool.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Some reality Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
...We are sucked into the comforts of water heater, grey/black water waste...

Every time we drive past a dump station where some guy is struggling with the big black hose or rinsing goodness-knows-what out of a tank under his RV -- I turn to my wife and say 'Thank You'.

She knows what I am thanking her for.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Some reality Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
Well, I may regret posting this. 2 years ago we bought a toyota mini motorhome. I love my westy best. But each time we start planning a trip, it's
"We need to take this, that won't fit, we better take the toyota" My westy has gone around town, gotten washed, waxed and admired, but hasn't gone traveling. We are sucked into the comforts of water heater, grey/black water waste, space and room, bathroom, and in the winter, a furnace. Sigh.

I don't want to sell her, but I'm starting to think it's a shame someone who would use this beauty of a westy isn't the owner! Yeah, I'm thinking it's time to sell a dependable westfalia.. Sad

The toyota would NEVER be as cool.

Prices on westies are up again...sell now Very Happy
5yrs from now anyone who cares won't Sad
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just take it camping already. and if you want heat, bring an electric heater and camp at a place with hookups (or parking lot with plugs for block heaters)

i had a toyota van (the ugly late 80s LE van with engine under the seat) - i loved it to bits and it never failed me. no camping amenities whatsoever, but it could fit a queen mattress in the back.

anyway, if you are going to sell it, you picked the wrong season. wait until may - that is, unless you live in the southern hemisphere.
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbiej,
Sounds like you've given your Westy a decent chance and you're not thinking on impulse. Three months after selling our first Westy we mutually agreed it was a mistake. One month later we bought our second and haven't looked back. However, it sounds like you've given this a lot of thought and consideration while using your other camper, so perhaps you are right to sell it. Tough decision-best of luck.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R the ones needing 'those' things your kids, grandkids, how old, time flies & kids grow up & leave, took awhile to find mine & still not all the small add on's we want, & we plan to keep it,88westy, until the walker becomes my next mode, do they come motorized yet?? I have done some knee jerk decisions in the past I really regretted, now I 'sleep on it' for a lot longer & realize it to be a bad idea. Currently bringing one I almost sold out of storage(mine) , looking forward to enjoy, a '54 stude regal starliner, I refurbed many yrs ago.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie,
I've owned both and the Toyota is one of the nicest small campers you'll ever find. Solid engine, good mpg, and comfortable to camp in.

The decision to sell is yours, you're not in a rush, and can wait for a buyer who will pay what you'd like, and appreciate it. I hope it's a "never look back" decision.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, mostly I feel sort of guilty knowing someone could be using the westy like it should be used. But when I think about it, that guilt is silly. We have fixed it and fixed it up all these years, we will keep it! (Unless we need the money).

We have an aged Rottweiler who is somewhat dog aggressive, and we take him with us, so we take his large wire crate. When he is gone, the westy will immediately be easier. There are many times we use our vehicle as a motel room, places we clean up and dress up to go, and the sunrader is nice because of it's hot water heater, shower and lots of storage. But for road trips and camping, the westy just can't be beat.

I appreciate being able to think out loud here, and feed back that helps clarify thought.

Ahwahnee, it isn't as awful as it looks to take care of waste water, especially if one chooses a walk in the woods or the campsite john, But I sure know what you mean!

In some campsites now, you have to have a grey water tank. And for sure in parking lots or rv parks. So add that to the list of things we pack for the westy, a portable greywater tank and porta potty.

Actually, I wish there was a third choice...something faster than the two, better AC than the westy, better looking than the sunrader (which is just plain dorky) with a few more features than the westy. I really don't like towing, find most class b's claustrophobic and way, way too expensive. Milage isn't great either. Maybe having two isn't so bad.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another angle is to sell the Westy and look for a daily driver tin top to tool around in. No harm, no foul.
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: camper Reply with quote

Keep it! My westy has an on demand hot water devise and a Propex furnace.
No potty or shower but there is always a way around that inconvenience.
Consider this, my neighbor has a 30 ft RV and they think it could be a little bit bigger. Maybe pop outs? I like the suggestion that you keep them both especially since you "dont need the money" Better return on you $ than in the bank.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:

Actually, I wish there was a third choice...something faster than the two, better AC than the westy, better looking than the sunrader (which is just plain dorky) with a few more features than the westy.

Sounds like a Sprinter to me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
desertrefugee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, in my relatively infrequent visits here, most of the conversations I've seen you engage in revolve around trying to rationalize whether to keep the Westy. If you need to question it that often, then selling is probably the right thing to do. The Toyota will always have more room and better reliability.

But it's not a VW.

"For I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will regret selling the westy 100% for sure, it may be the right thing to do.
no one can make the decision for you.
i doubt you will enjoy driving the toyota as much, and you'll not find the commoradery with a toyota.

which ever way you go, don't be a stranger

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt about the westy friends!
We are on a sort of epic road trip, the kind you take to avoid a stress induced melt down. Yeah, we took the toyota, but NEXT TIME the westy!!

I don't much like the sprinters I've seen, plus they are way too costly to buy and own. I like the provan tiger on a GMC safari, husband thinks they are ugly.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wifey and I can't imagine pooping in any of ouf cars. If you're cool with that, sell the westy already.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
I like the provan tiger on a GMC safari

I saw one of these in the Zion camp sites last week. First time I realized what I was looking at. Actually thought it made a pretty cool camper. If I didn't love my Vanagon, I think one of those would be a good alternative.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I browsed a bit recently curious about the gm, ford sprinter etc types, ugly, and even 4 used u would need to sell 1st born & mortgage yours & your neighbors house 4 one. Had a 23ft class c 4 awhile, too galky to drive around & a place to store, will keep the westy
vela123321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Hard decision Reply with quote

I certainly can see why people might not "get" the whole Vanagon thing, but if you do... Another vehicle wouldn't fill the spot.

I just took my wife and kids, age 7 and 10, on a 10 day trip up and down coast 1. It was a remarkable trip made more remarkable by being in our Vanagon. We spotted a couple of Vanagon's at different sites. My son would always spot them and the ride his bike back and forth looking. We ventured over and had great conversations with others who love their vans! My son also thinks it's great that you can't pass a bus or Vanagon without being waved too.

We did have a mechanical problem underway, but taking it in stride and seeking help from a few sources just reaffirmed our faith in mankind! There are a lot of giving and helpful Vanagon owners out there! It actually put some "excitement" in the trip and it's just part of life. We saw a Vanagon on the side of the road, and I pulled over to help.

This trip we had the interior better organized. It's the first time we put some stuff on the roof. I ordered the Rola 59102 from Amazon. It's a great bag and it took a lot of stuff out of the inside of the van.

Good luck with your decision. I understand your position and the issues. We had trouble getting a spot on the Friday of Labor Day weekend. We ended up in a private RV campground.... And I must say, I don't get these huge fifth wheels! To each his own, but it doesn't look fun to me! We see a lot of smaller campers in Europe and they have more choices and designs. I can see the appeal there, especially if one spouse isn't into the van as much as the other spouse. Everyone on the trip needs to be happy. We rented a new VW Westfalia in Germany, with a 5 speed Tdi, that was nice... It still couldn't replace our van. Simplicity for simplicities sake.

1987 Westfalia Vanagon 2.1 automatic
2014 VW TDi Jetta Sportwagen (Dieselgate)
2016 BMW 328i

1967 Bug... given to a friend
others not VW... Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Datsun, International Harvester
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ironturtle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hard decision Reply with quote

vela123321 wrote:
We rented a new VW Westfalia in Germany, with a 5 speed Tdi, that was nice... It still couldn't replace our van.

A stock TDI 5 speed Westy could certainly give my T3 a run for it's money Smile
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've debated response to "poop in the vehicle" comments. it really isn't about the bathroom. It's about the insulation, kitchen space, both for stuff and people and the nice conveniences. We usually use the outhouses when we camp. ( Geeze this is just weird TMI) we carry a porta pot in the westy too. Sorry, we do.

But after a wonderful couple of trips in the westy, I know I can't sell it. I remember back to the search to find it, and all the work and upgrades we've done, the great times we've had, and know we couldn't part with the westy.
The way I feel driving down the road in it, the looks, waves and thumbs up and peace signs..........

Why do I care what someone I've never met thinks of my vehicle? Don't know why, but I do and I'm so proud of my westy!

We both do like the toyota sunrader, which is a classic and really nice. Same year as the westy, much smaller and lighter than typical RVS. not as fun to drive as westy, but drives about the same speed. 5 mpg less in the toyota, the westy always gets 20+mpg. Each has its place and use. A week in the woods in the late fall will be great in the Sunrader, it just will. Our trip up the coast of CA will be in the westy, perfect for that. Summer camping, westy. Substitute motel room at family reunions, sunrader.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: