Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig Westy stranded in West Seattle
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Bostig Westy stranded in West Seattle Reply with quote

Two nights ago, picking up a door from a Craigslist guy in West Seattle, I got there and turned the engine off. Needed to move the car to the driveway of the guy's house and it wouldn't start. It turns over just fine, almost catching and then not. I suspected the fuel pump at first though further queries point to something other than that. One obvious sign was that it smelled like I was flooding the engine.

Called Bostig the next morning and Kyle gave me a few hints, though we both at that time were thinking it might be the fuel pump. He said to check the voltage at the fuel pump as the ignition were turned to the on position.

Called Eion at the Tec Shop (was thrilled to find out that he was now in full control of his own shop!!!) who said it's most likely not the fuel pump. Rather I should check the Crank Position Sensor by plugging/unplugging, as they can get corroded. Also to check the nipples.

Okay, so where are these things? I put this engine conversion together myself a few years back, though the thing I always find hardest is to memorize a new nomenclature. I've been looking around on Google Images just to try and visualize these points and now I'm asking here for a bit of guidance.

I'll be heading down there in about an hour to see if I can't get it up and running. Any timely info would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEoixGFE6o4

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man, that was brilliant.

Stephen

greenbrier62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Crank vs. Cam Reply with quote

FWIW, that is the CAM position sensor, not the CRANK position sensor. The crank position sensor is located on the lower end of the engine on the passenger side...Let me know if either of those fix your problem Smile When my wife drives the van, this seems to happen to her also. I usually just let it sit for 5 minutes and then it starts right up. When I drive it, I just barely touch the gas as I'm starting it to ensure it starts the first time...If I don't and it doesn't start, I'm sitting for 5...
EODWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar symptoms on my Bostig Westy a few weeks ago. I ended up tracing it back to the coil pack. Swapped it out and it fired right up, no problems since.
Vsyevolod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Bostig Westy stranded in West Seattle (no longer) Reply with quote

Yes, the video was for the CAM position sensor and I was looking for the CRANK position sensor. Found it, cleaned it and... it wasn't the problem. Pulled a couple of other choice plugs, cleaned them and plugged them back in. Checked the nipples and they were in great nick (mooooooo). Also unplugged the instrument cluster as Eion mentioned the rare occurance where something out of whack there might cause it to not start. Also ran the Scan Tester and got two error codes, both of which Eion said could be disregarded because they're not under Bostig's current monitoring (P1000 and P0232).

Called Bostig again and Kyle got me back under the car while my friend turned the ignition on. Got a good 12v reading yet no sound from the fuel pump. On Kyle's advice, knocked it gently with a hammer and cleaned the terminals (older push on type). Ignition on and... voila! The pump made it's usual noise.

Started right up.

As others mentioned, yes the coil pack is a common culprit, as is the cam position sensor. In my case it was the fuel pump. I'm probably gonna replace it soon. Hmmmmm, spend $250 locally or $155 from GoWesty or VanCafe...

Thanks again all...

Stephen

Samboni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it going again. I have a Bostig conversion in my 87. Once lost all power while driving. Seemed like a fuel problem. After a little internet research I found a footnote on an article on fuel pumps by Jim from Bostig about reversing the polarity on the fuel pump momentarily to spin it backwards as they can get stuck. Did that and afterwards it started right up.

I just want to mention that here with a big "Thank you" to all of you in the community who share repair information and tips and experience. It is truly invaluable and one of the things that makes owning and operating Vanagons fun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: