Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Victoria BC Shop - Hogg's Auto - Opinion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Victoria BC Shop - Hogg's Auto - Opinion Reply with quote

Has anyone here used Hogg's auto for their vanagon, what was your experience like, hourly rate etc...
simonslp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been in his shop but talked to Rick Hogg on the phone a number of times... he's very knowledgeable, but still friendly and patient with questions and has offered to lend me tools for free. He'd be my number 1 choice to try in the area but for his rather remote location.
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience Hogg but I'll always pipe in for Autospiel.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with Autospiel, but also recommend highly Dave's Auto out in Sidney area (Both Russ from Autospiel and Dave worked for Speedway years ago). Single man operation, very good, very reasonable rates. Machinist too.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with Hogg but will recommend Autospiel. Fixed my Eurovan years ago for $13 after two VW dealers couldn't for hundreds of dollars.
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good auotspiel story... Friend of mine's 1.8t Jetta was running bad & needed a temp sender. She goes into Autospiel, Phil reads the codes, sees it needs a coil pack which is a recall item. So he tells her to take it to the dealer (speedway) & they can do the temp sender when they do the recall work since they will be right there anyway, so pretty honest & helping her to avoid having her car in 2 shops in 1 week. So she takes it to the dealer explains EVERYTHING & they do the recall & then proceed to charge her 2 hrs @ full shop rate to diagnosis her busted temp sender & then call & ask if she wants them to fix it for an additional $300.00! She lost it on the "service manager" who she had told it was the temp sender in the first place! Russ does the job for $40 plus the sender cost & wash her car to boot.

Anyway Autospiel gains a customer for life & the dealer loses the business from a VW family that were loyal customers.
syncroluvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy to hear that Russ is still going strong, I remember him installing a diesel in his westy in the mid 90's. He did all the maintenance on my Jetta. Is he still in the same spot? On the second floor? All my best to him!
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody had any work done by Gerry, I think it is, at Very Wise Repairs in Duncan, BC?

We were over there, visiting relatives and driving the then new-to-us Westy earlier this year. Had him re-do something that was faultily done in the Vancouver area, and he did a nice job--warranty work from the part manufacturer. We're thinking about having him do some other work.

I haven't seen him on any of the VW mechanics' lists so I'm curious if any Sambaists have had first-hand experience with his shop. There always seem to be a lot of Vanagons and other VWs and Jettas outside the shop.

----

Kathy

88 Westy
pixit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on vacation I stopped by Ricks (Hoggs) while holed up in Victoria for 4 days waiting for surgery.(Wife shattered her ankle in Goldstream park hiking). Talk about a crazy access to his place. I had a no start issue. Rick pointed me to the ignition switch. It solved my problem and I confidently got on the Ferry to the main land knowing I had a good chance of not being "That guy" in the Ferry lineup holding everyone up.

He was actually closed, but opened the gate for me when he saw me pull up. We chatted for a few minutes and I went back to Victoria to get an ignition switch. (hadn't learned about jumping the ignition plug yet until the next day when that one failed).

I was brand new and still am to the Westy as this was our maiden trip so I knew absolutely nothing about Westys and Rick got me going again. The switch only lasted 4hrs but that's another post after I introduce myself in yet another post.

Cheers!!

VE6BEE
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pixit wrote:
Talk about a crazy access to his place.

what? you don't enjoy the dipsy doodle needed to avoid the cars travelling the Malahat?

Smile

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
oldskoolsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Hogg has a strong reputation in victoria for his knowledge and help.
I've met alot of people who have benefited from his expertise.
He's helped me over the phone a few of times, great guy.
Hoodride for life
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldskoolsteve wrote:
Rick Hogg has a strong reputation in victoria for his knowledge and help.
I've met alot of people who have benefited from his expertise.
He's helped me over the phone a few of times, great guy.

X2! Great guy.

Of course, Autospiel and Dave are also very good.
Even Gerry @ Very Wise (VW, get it?) has been fixing VW's forever. Very smart guy.

I love livin' on this Island!
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does roadhaus.com say about these shops? Hmm, let's take a look:

http://www.roadhaus.com/shops.php

For those of you who have a favorite (or not), this is a good place to tell your story.

(I'm planning a 2 week Vancouver Island trip this summer, and knowing good shop locations is nice, thanks for the advice!)

Thanks,
CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick @ hogg's is a great guy, very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. helped me out a few times now. definitely recommend him.

sadly though, gerry @ very wise in duncan passed away recently. it's shame because beyond being a knowledgeable and experienced VW guy, he was a great person--very kind, honest, heart of gold. i believe his business partner, barry, has now closed very wise.
slee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Hogg's VW shop Reply with quote

Rick's the guy that shipped a very good used trans out to me in ThunderBay for my 73 van a few years ago with nothing paid up front. Even gave me step by step instructions over the phone to get it in. Got back to Vic a month later after 10,00 miles down through Mexco and squared up with him. The good folks at Beetle Auto haus had rebuilt my tranny for $1700 just before I left and it got me all the way to Winnipeg, from there 3rd gear only to ThunderBay. Ask Victoria BBB for the full report on that one. Rest of the trip was uneventful except for the ball joints Ellice Automotive installed in my control arms just before I left. 10,000 miles and it still took two arms to move that steering wheel. I think the cutting torch scars on the control arms told the tale. Ended up having to torch out the socket liners before the wife could drive it. From my experiences, you'd be a fool to take anything beyond brakes and mufflers to anyone but Hogg in this town.
slee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Hogg's Auto Repair Reply with quote

An update since my Jan 26, 2012 post re: the above. Since then I have purchased a 1983 diesel 5 speed Vanagon off Rick and it is the joy of ourlives. Free advice and many free used parts. As for my old 1973 bus, the subject of my Jan 2012 post, the transmission Rick sold me is still A1 and Im now rebuilding the engine again after 65,000 miles since 2009, again Rick Hogg has been my go to guy, I never leave there without everything I need and every question fully answered.

I was up there the other day getting some parts and lo and behold his entranceway has been widened with a paved siding along the side of the highway right in front of his shop. Don't know how he managd to get them to do that, but it sure makes access easier.
MMKGreenMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Victoria BC Shop - Hogg's Auto - Opinion Reply with quote

I've had nothing but great experiences with Rick Hogg. Last time I was there he did a bunch of extra work without charging me (or at least that is what he told me). Very pleased with his work. As per his website, his hourly rate is $100/hour, which is much more reasonable than many of the shops charging $125-$150.

Cheers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: