Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will a type 3 carpet kit fit in a late ghia coupe.
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Will a type 3 carpet kit fit in a late ghia coupe. Reply with quote

Anyone here know if type 3 carpet will work for a ghia coupe. Found a guy that has a carpet kit for a type 3 ( not sure what model) but does anyone think it will fit, I know I should just get a kit for a ghia, but it's cheap so I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. I haven't looked at many type 3 interiors, but they are pretty similar right?
danielsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually seen this done -- makes for an interesting look up front but the back part looks terrible.

I just went to Lowes picked up large role of indoor / outdoor carpet -- think I paid 40 dollars for it -- and cut it to fit the car and ran with that until I saved enough for a narrow weave set.

I think it looked better than the cheap carpet kits.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know I should just get a kit for a ghia,

you already answered your own question. Cool

I remember my first ghia, used house carpet. Had to get the pieces wet and form to shape, let dry then glue into place. And those were the good old days Embarassed
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
I know I should just get a kit for a ghia,

you already answered your own question. Cool

Haha, I knew if I didn't say this it would more than likely have come up.

I have also thought about getting indoor outdoor carpet, and that is an option. It's just all the cutting I have to do Wink would be nice if I had a template, but I could make it work.

I'll see how much the dude wants for his kit, and think about if it's worth it. Also toss around the idea of indoor outdoor carpet. Kind of tired of looking at my floor pans lol.
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cheap is cheap? I think you can get cheap ghia carpet kits for less than $200. Seems to me, unless you're significantly under that for the type 3, it would be more of a bother than just getting one that's made for your car... granted, even cheap carpet made for the ghia may not be a much better option... ha ha.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap is cheap, probably like 50 bucks or less . I might wait to get a cheap ghia kit, I think I've seen cheap ones for like 130-170 from various places. So maybe for the holidays I'll get myself a kit one of the places I was looking at was jbugs, anyone get one of these kits?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap is cheap. Congrats, that looks like shit. Shocked Is that what you are trying to achieve?
Take your time, go one direction, buy quality, buy once, thats how to stretch your VW dollar. These are not cheap cars any more, dont treat them as such. Very Happy
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, didn't mean to offend you, or karmann and ghia. This is my only car and daily driver. I just graduated high school and I've been looking for a job ever since Aswell as doing any work I can. I plan on keeping this car a while, so one day I'm going to do a body off and make it nice. I can't quite afford square weave just yet, so anything that's cheaper than an insurance payment is pretty good for me Wink

My car is in pretty shitty shape as far as the body work goes, due to one of the previous owners, and I've been trying to get that all straightens out Aswell. So carpet in my ghia that no one will probably ever notice, not to worried about it.

But mark my words, this car will be pretty. I Don't treat it like trash, and I do everything I can to insure that it stays in good shape and gets me where I need to go.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Zodiac- wrote:
Lol, didn't mean to offend you, or karmann and ghia. This is my only car and daily driver. I just graduated high school and I've been looking for a job ever since Aswell as doing any work I can. I plan on keeping this car a while, so one day I'm going to do a body off and make it nice. I can't quite afford square weave just yet, so anything that's cheaper than an insurance payment is pretty good for me :wink:

My car is in pretty shitty shape as far as the body work goes, due to one of the previous owners, and I've been trying to get that all straightens out Aswell. So carpet in my ghia that no one will probably ever notice, not to worried about it.

But mark my words, this car will be pretty. I Don't treat it like trash, and I do everything I can to insure that it stays in good shape and gets me where I need to go.

I'm with you, Zodiac. Unless you want a show car (never to be driven) or a period perfect restoration (think big bucks and years to complete with original parts) you are going to have to make compromises dictated by price and availability and function.

It will cost me nearly $1400 to get the square weave carpets delivered to me in New Zealand. I've decided to cut my own. I found NZ pure wool household carpet for $200 in the colour of my choice. It has a nice weave, is pliable and thin enough to fit over dynamat. It is also stain-proof and fire-retardant. I'll be cutting a set of templates for Bob in Canada when I'm done. Would you like a set?
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would absolutely love a set, I'll send you a pm and give you my email if needed so we can work out the details.

Much appreciated kiwi!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zodiac, for some reason I got the impression you were older, you appear older online atleast and i mean that as a compliment.
I shall adjust my advice Embarassed
Find a berber type carpet anywhere (home depot, carpet store..) I have some in my garage that looks square weavish, if you were close you could have it. Make patterns, cut to fit. As i mentioned I did at about your age...wet the carpet and form it to shape (over tunnel, at front dogleg section...). Let dry and then glue it into place. You can use their 3/16-1/2 in. carpet padding to help reduce noise. Good Luck.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Darrel Wink if there were an introduction topic in the stickies I would have made one, and didn't want to start a build thread just yet.

I will check my local Home Depot/lowes this week and price it out. I'll look at other carpets Aswell based on price and weave. Going to get temples from kiwighia68 which is a huge plus.

So I guess no need for the type 3 carpet. I feel better about this route anyways!

If anyone's curious I'm 19, this is my first vw. My car before this was a 47 Chevy style master with a 350/350 turbo and camaro sub frame. My "vehicle" before that was a 95 Ford F-150 - first and last as far as newer fords go.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: