Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dash turn indicator light
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: dash turn indicator light Reply with quote

While bleeding brakes, I lost my turn indicator light on the dash. This is an 82 Diesel. I haven't found any help on search as to where and how to replace the bulb. Bentley hasn't been of much help either....
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: When you say you "lost" it... Reply with quote

...do you mean the light doesn't work any more, or did you actually lose the LED? No bulb, it's a Light Emitting Diode, green. So if the LED is in the dash (not sure how it would come out on a brake bleed & fill anyway?) but doesn't work, check and make sure the plastic connector behind the clock is slid fully onto the blue flexible circuit board. You may have knocked it loose while prying the cap off the brake fluid reservoir.
If you got physical in there, you may have damaged the flexible circuit board, they are not the most robust way to do dashboards. Seat that connector first, then write back if still no turn signal indicator.
I'm assuming the turn signals work OK on the outside of the car?
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it has got to be either damaged or loose. It's been about a year now since this happened. My son spilled a small amount of brake fluid and was attempting to wipe it off of the area. Later i noticed the indicator was not blinking. Yes all else is operable. So, I'll open it up and give it another look and report back. My odometer hasn't worked for years so I've been considering that repair also.
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed your posting from Portland. My Vanagon spent most it's years there, before shipping out here. 7 po's in fact. I'm the third here in Hawaii. Ten owners, sure seems like a lot, vehicles actually pretty damn tight too. Anyway...
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaalualu wrote:
I'm the third here in Hawaii.

Hawaii? Vanagon? TC is that you?
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those LEDs are socketed on the flex board so it could have been knocked loose, I guess, but your son had to be scrubbing vigorously to do it. If you have a Digital Multi Meter with a continuity checker (might have a diode symbol on the meter?) you can check the back of the LED socket, make sure and try the leads both ways. Sholud be about 2.2 volts across the diode and a very faint green glow if it is good. You can get just about any old green LEdfrom Radio Shack or wherever to replace it with if needed. If you're going to use the new clear lens type, it will be very bright and you'll want to increase the value of the series resistor so it doesn't blind you. Easiest fix is to use one of the older, green lens LEDs. Let us know how it goes.
(I've got my '82 Diesel Westy here in Portland, I think I'm the third owner).
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my reached in to sop up the fluid he used s small towel, could have easily snagged something. I warned him to becareful and he was, but that area is a delicate one for sure. Work today, I'll try carve some time this evening. I do have a voltmeter.
No, not TC. Does he run a hightop?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: