Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Leak - not skylight
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

OK. now I have applied a new seal under the back edge of the luggage Rack.

Clean surface:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The tape ($12 for 25' at a camper shell dealer)

Applied (I chose to skip over the bolts, plus I have a cable from my solar panel)
The edges are 8" long and the span between the bolts is 12"

When you put the luggage rack back on, put in the screws on the front and sides first, otherwise it's a headache. don't tighten anything until all are threaded.

Ta da! Now the water only draws on the sides. We'll see if a heavy rain fills the luggage rack faster than it can drain...

I tested it with the top down and it did not leak in the back. (I turned it around so the nose is up again too)

::fingers crossed::
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MacDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixed Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it still leaks when my nose is pointed uphill.

I suspect that the water is still getting in under the pop top and then is leaking through the rear pop top hinge.

Confused
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Leak - not skylight Reply with quote

Hey Jeffrey... Any update on this leaking issue... Mines been leaking in the spot you highlight and now that it's raining cats and dogs outside I figured it's time I research this problem a bit...

Thanks
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Leak - not skylight Reply with quote

It turned out for my van that had same leak. Was a bolt on the pass side lift bar to poptop that needed to be sealed. Using a go westy rain fly is how I found it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mileavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Leak - not skylight Reply with quote

I had the same problem about the leak , in the same corner area , i use a endoscope video camera and i detect that leak is coming from the lower side of the rain gutter , where is in contact with the body and spot welded ,
the seal between this two surface was not good ,
Nick La Trique
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Leak - not skylight Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue.
What sealant did you use to solve this ?
mileavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Leak - not skylight Reply with quote

I use Sikaflex 522 , is very good and you can paint on
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Leak - not skylight Reply with quote

I would use this product where any hardware goes form outside to inside. It is a marine product and anywhere where there is surface contact where a screw/bolt goes through will stop water intrusion.

This may not fix your problem until you find the leak but when updating those areas this is a great product.

https://bed-it.com/

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: